Indestructable review by Rancid

• Released: Aug 19, 2003
Rancid: Indestructable

As I write this review I am listening to the album and it's absolutely delightful. The sound is classic Rancid, but you can tell the band has grown, lyrically and musically. The arrangements are more complex and the attitude is totally in your face, even on the more emotional songs there is still a take no prisioners attitude. A lot of organ and keyboard is used on this album and it is well played. It give the album a real soulful feel. The sounds on this album range from the straight up punk of "Out of Control" to "Arrested in Shanghai" which sounds like a combination of Bob Dylan and London Calling-era Clash, to the psychobilly influnced Django and the raw emotion of the album's closing track Otherside, which is the only song that has ever seriously brought a tear to my eye... There are hints of Metal in Travis Bickle and classic Rancid Ska in Red Hot Moon. Overall this is a very diverse album without sounding like a clusterfuck. Sound gets a 5.

One song that stands out lyrically would be Ivory Coast. They send chills down my spine. The first line "For 24 hours on the Ivory Coast, they relieve soldiers from their posts, dedicate champagne for a toast they pay duties to the country's host". Simple yet eloquent. "In a civil war, there's no civil rights". Maybe it's just me, but lines like this should not go without honorable mention. They're simple, yet great. Which is what punk music is about. Other standout songs are Arrested in Shanghai describing the events in the Tianamen Square (spelling error?) and Otherside which was written for Lars's dead brother. Memphis is a song about being on the road and everything about it reminds me of early rock 'n roll and gospel. The lyrics are almost spritual "By the time I made it to New Orleans, it must've been half past three, by the time we made it to Memphis we were crazy, tonight you're a blanket and you're gonna keep us warm, tonight protect us from the storm." There are the typical Rancid songs about people they meet and how the became the band they are today, but even those are well written. Rancid still sound like they are trying to be The Clash, but they pull it off with diginty not sounding too much like a copycat band. Lyrically they have grown.

The album as whole is great. One of their better albums, however it takes a repeated listen to discover its greatness and you have to look past the fact that it is their most comerical album to date. Many people say they sold out, but they have mearly grown and gone in the right direction without straying too far from their roots. Rancid are the best punk band around today. There is no denying that. Standout tracks on Indestructable- Django Arrested in Shanghai Stand Your Ground Otherside Ivory Coast Memphis One of their best. Although I was always a fan of Rancid's more hardcore sound of Rancid 2000 and Let's Go, this album has a permanent place in my CD player. They lyrics on this album are some of their best. Go out and buy this album if you haven't already. There's something for everybody. It appeals to hardcore punks, pop-punkers, emo kids, and everybody in between. You will not be dissapointed. This band can do no wrong.