Let The Dominoes Fall review by Rancid

• Released: Jun 2, 2009
Rancid: Let The Dominoes Fall

First of all, in 2006, Brett Reed left Rancid and got replaced by Branden Steineckert, so of course this album will be a little bit different. Rancid's new record, Let The Dominoes Fall, begun recording in January 2008 at Skywalker Sound, with their all-time producer and friend, Brett Gurewitz. It was finally released on June 2, 2009. The CD (in expanded version), includes Let The Dominoes Fall, Let The Dominoes Fall Acoustic (A twelve song acoustic set), 3 "giant" back-to-back posters, A full length (about 40 minute) DVD (Making of), and 4 guitar picks. Like all other Rancid albums, it is basically a Punk Rock and Ska album, and I think that there is more Ska on this album then on other Rancid albums. The sound quality is very good, except for "This Place" on the acoustic CD, but this is normal as the acoustic CD was recorded across hotel rooms in the USA. There ARE some songs on this album however which sound "out of place" with the album.

The lyrics, on this album, are EXTREMELY good. Punk Rock Poetry. I can't say anything else really about the lyrics. They fit well with the album, they mean something, they are perfect. Tim's singing however, seems to have changed a little. He slurrs his lyrics quite rarely on this album. I think the only song with that "classic Rancid voice" sound would be "Last One to Die". Lar's voice though, seems to not have changed at all.

This album, is a very different Rancid album, however, I really quite like it (except I kinda liked the old Rancid (Rancid 1993 - Rancid 2000)). This album is more on the Ska side, and a bit less on the punk side. I'd say some special songs I liked on this album would be. Last One To Die, Up to No Good (Spectacular Ska song), Disconnected, Damnation, Skull City, LA River, Lulu, Dominoes Fall, and You Want it, You got It. I'd say this album is definately worth buying, but of course, does NOT compare to ...And Out Come The Wolves, or Let's go. If this CD were stolen from me, I'd have to say I'd buy another copy, but won't go crazy.

Rancid Ivy
    I'd say something more along the lines of this: Rancid 93 - 8/10 Lets Go - 10/10 ..And out come the wolves - 9/10 Life won't wait - 6/10 Rancid 2000 - 7.5/10 Indestructible - 7.5/10 Let the dominoes fall - 7/10 ----- Still, Rancid Own.