Rancid [2000] review by Rancid

• Released: Aug 1, 2000
Rancid: Rancid [2000]

Rancid turned a corner in making this album. There is no ska whatsoever, the album is mostly short, fast songs with dazzling drum beats such as "disgruntled". This really works for the album, however I reckon if they did any more records similar to this one, it may sound the same. Matt Freeman (bass) doesn't fail to impress either with him showcasing his skills in songs like "Axiom", "Not To Forget" and "Young Al Capone". The record contains a lot of good FX such as the wah-wah in "Let Me Go", the helicopter sound in "Black Hawk Down" and the spanish background voice in "Radio Havana" which adds to the songs overall enjoyment.

The lyrics probably aren't the most fantastic you would hear around, but you don't expect them to be great in an album like this. But the lyrics and singing really suit the songs the play, they add to the Punk feeling of the record. Lars was born for the role for punk singer, he can really shout with a good sound and depth, and it doesn't overpower the rest of the instruments playing in the music.

It is hard to compare this with another Rancid album because this one is so unique. But I must say it would be one of my favourites in that it is unlike anything they've done in Rancid. Some of the songs in my opinion drone a bit. But having 22 songs on an album, such as Rancid does, your bound to have a few bad songs from an audience's point of view. If I had this record stolen and had no way of getting the songs back, I would buy the album again. It definatly is a keeper.