Rancid [2000] review by Rancid

• Released: Aug 1, 2000
Rancid: Rancid [2000]

This album is hardcore punk rock all the way through. There is no variety, all of the songs are really fast and short. If you just want to listen to songs like "Ruby Soho" or "Fall Back Down", then this album probably isn't for you. The bass is amazing, it can be heard throughout the whole album, and Matt Freeman plays all over the fretboard of his bass. There is also plenty of squealing guitar riffs and pounding drums.

The lyrics probably aren't the most important part of this album. It's really hard to understand what they are saying most of time. Tim, Matt, and Lars all sing on this album. I think the vocals are perfect for this style of music. Sometimes people complain about Tim's voice because he slurs the lyrics and he has that weird accent, but I love it because it's punk music and it's not supposed to sound clean. A lot of people also complain about Matt's voice. I love Matt's deep, gritty vocals. He sounds different than Tim and Lars and I think he should sing more.

This is a great album if you want straight-up hardcore punk and don't care too much about the lyrics. It's different than there other albums because there aren't really any stand out songs on this one. I like to just let this album run without skipping over songs because all the songs flow right into each other. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again because I'm a big Rancid fan and I love all of there albums.