Pieces Of The People We Love Review

Rapture: Pieces Of The People We Love
Release Date: Sep 12, 2006
Label: Universal Motown
Genres: Indie Electronic, Indie Rock, Alternative Dance
Pieces of the People We Love is much different from Echoes in that it's no patchwork.
 7.6
 7.7
 7.4
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Pieces Of The People We Love Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on april 13, 2007

Sound: With the vitality of the UK's Hard Fi and the acid punk juices of Franz Ferdinand, New York City based The Rapture offer exuberant melodies and infectious rises in their songs on their fourth release Pieces Of The People We Love on Universal Motown Records. The album is a mashup of dance-punk, neo glam rock, post new wave, funky pop, Brit-pop, and electro-soul. The band is a modern funk version of new wave standards like Roxy Music and The Pet Shop Boys with the limber vocal moves of Luke Jenner and Matt Safer complying a Xiu Xiu kinetics along funk-pop profusions. Jenner who plays guitar and Safer on bass form the skeletal frame as multi-instrumentalist Gabriel Andruzzi colors in the structures and the drum fills by Vito Roccoforte. The electro sonic glides are exciting and engross you with scepter-like swirling patterns and motivating rhythms. Every track is uplifting even the slower sonic rotations on Live In Sunshine. Their tune Get Myself Into It has a Kasabian lisp in the synth-pop swoops fastened to bubbly saxophone segments and rock-soul rhythms. Their glamorous rock tassels are modern and their Brit-pop grips are influenced by World music aspects with Middle Eastern accents in the vibrations and Swedish prog-rock harmonics. Incorporating these elements into The Rapture's songs are producers Danger Mouse (Gorillaz, Jay Z), Ewan Pearson (Depeche Mode, Ladytron), and Paul Epworth (Block Party, Maximo Park). The production team brought out the band's penchant for agile punk flourishes and alacrity in their vocal ripples. Their funk-pop style toggles between post new wave and electro-soul purveying a party mix that crosses genres. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics lean towards feeling understood like in the title track with phrases like Don't try to tell me that my intentions are untrue. Their lyrics are about breaking free whether it's about Live In Sunshine or moving into First Gear. The band uses colloquial phrases and slang to express themselves lyrically similarly to Fall Out Boy. The band makes no pretensions about who they are and keep a positive outlook on their lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: The band has a history of being post punk revivalists but this album breaks free from those barriers. There is still a punk vibe in their music but with uplifting synth-pop, ecstatic soul, and funk emblems in the movements. The songs motivate the listener to do what sets them free from feelings that encumber them. I thought the music was a blast. People don't have to depend on the past for fun music anymore, they can look to a newer band like The Rapture to get a healthy dose of pajama-rock fun. // 8

Comments