Hide From the Sun review by Rasmus

• Released: Sep 12, 2005
Rasmus: Hide From the Sun

With their latest album, Hide From The Sun (HFTS), The Rasmus have entered the more mainstream rock scene. While their dark melodies and Lauri's characteristic 'rough' vocals are still there, The Rasmus are beginning to lose their individual alternative and Finnish rock sound. This is a good and a bad thing, some of their fans who loved their previous two albums do not appreciate HFTS as much as those who do prefer the more unoriginal sound that The Rasmus is now creating. Their music is also a bit harder and darker than previous albums such as Dead Letters and Into, and the songs themselves are less diverse, there is less variation in melody, accompaniment, arrangement, and overall sound.

As always, The Rasmus' lyrics are dark, deep and full of emotion. Although the lyrics are beautiful, the arrangement of the tracks on HFTS do not in the slightest compliment the lyrical meaning of each song. This means that the songs which all individually have brilliant lyrics, are nowhere near as effective as they could be with better arrangement.

Overall I think The Rasmus has done a good job with their latest album. Following on from their last (and in my opinion best) album, Dead Letters, is a hard thing to do. And, being a Rasmus fan myself, I suppose I have to leave a bit more of a positive finish to my review. The best songs on the album include 'Sail Away' which is a beautiful electric-acoustic song, 'Immortal' which is another of the more original sounding songs, and 'No Fear' which was their first single off the album. I am glad I bought HFTS, even though I had higher expectations from it. There are still a few great songs on it that can almost make me cry. People will always compare HFTS to Dead Letters and there will always be disagreement as to which album is better. At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference and taste.

Saki_Sayuri
    In my opinion you can't compare HFTS to DL. I'm a Fan myself since over 3 years, and I think that TR made a step forward and defenitely doesn't became mainstream rockers. And to "and the songs themselves are less diverse, there is less variation in melody, accompaniment, arrangement, and overall sound": That's something wich you can find in every band! But I don't think it's something bad, when the songs have a kind of equality. On an album it's important that the songs fit anyway together. On DL it were the lyrics who where like letters, on HFTS it's the similar sound. In my opinion is HFTS as good as DL 'cause both albums have a different level.
    inlovewithmusic
    I COMPLEATELY AGREE WITH Saki_Sayuri ...HFTS IS AS GOOD AS DL ....AND I NEVER FELT THE MUSIC DOES MATCH THE LYRICS.....BOTH THE LYRICS AND THE MUSIC I FEEL, MIX REALLY WELL.....LAURI'S VIOCE IS AS KWEL AS IT WAS IN THE EARLIER ALBUMS ...YUP , SAIL AWAY AND NO FEAR ARE AWEEEESOME SONGS ....I FELT SHOT AND NIGHT AFTER NIGHT ARE EQUALLY GOOD
    War-Ensemble
    rasmus suck bollocks i cant believe ne1 likes them especially on a website subject to guitar playing
    Vomitorator
    Hes right. We shouldnt like the rasmus because he thinks they suck lol. Like what you like.
    Saki_Sayuri
    Everyone has a different taste. I don't care about the ones who don't like them. They only have no idea of good music. ;D Ok, that's mean, sorry.
    kaphwan063
    Hide from the sun is a different direction, like the other six albums. To me, it combines the energy of Into (my favourite album) and the maturity of Dead Letters.
    cjgoth11
    I think everyone has to admit that DEAD LETTERS was their best album. They are very young guys and started the band while still at school. Like me, they probably started out the band for a laugh and never realised the conseqiences of fame. To be honest, every album is so different that it would be impossible to like all of them. For example, the first few were very childish, punk, rap kind of thing. They gradually got more mature as people and so did their music. They became very dark and "unknown" (e.g. Lauri's feathers and make- up) and I guess Dead letters resembles that. So this year when Hide from the Sun was introduced I wasn't suprised that they have changed their mood again. I think you can't give up on them as they show great talent. Besides their next album could be something worth while...
    whatiaminstead
    honestly, the first time i heard the Rasmus, they went into my top 5. their melodies may be similar, but they are different and delivered differently from other bands i know. they're different enough and passionate enough that they are my favorite alternative band next to Blue October. plus i love Lauri's stage prescence