How We Quit The Forest Review

Rasputina: How We Quit The Forest
Release Date: Aug 4, 1998
Label: Sony
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Dance, Goth Rock, Dark Ambient
While the sound is original and sometimes very effective, the overwrought vocal vibrato gets tedious.
 7.9
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
How We Quit The Forest Reviewed by: lucky69, on august 10, 2006

Sound: Rasputina is a "cello-rock" band, it's unusual ensemble consisting of three cellos and a drum. influenced by historical styles, they try and succeed at proving the versitality of the cello in the rapidly-changing world of modern rock. Froom their renditions of masterpieces such as moonlight sonata to the very modern and upbeat "Trenchmouth" and "Mayfly" they find ways to incorporate the cello into anykind of song. The humorous "diamond mind" counteracts more serious songs such as "Rose K." and "How We Quit The Forest." Their hauntingly beautiful music and unique style of lyrics has almost a hypnotic effect. Rasputina has opened for brand-name bands such as Marilyn Manson and they are amazing to see in concert, incorporating great special effects // 10

Lyrics: the lyrics are not consistant throughout the album, bringing humor and pain, as well as a very human element. The songs celebrate the ordinary with perceptive and fairly deep lyrics, often in the form of a story ("Mayfly," "How We Quit The Forest"). Point of view changes frequently throughout the album, however I feel that the music on this album is more important in most cases than the actual lyrics. The cellos tell the story, and the words are just along for the ride. If listening through the entire album, the songs do not flow, instead being very random. The vocals are yearning to be hauntingly beautiful, and they would be, if not for the over-stressed vibrato. It kind of reminds me of enya on crack. // 7

Overall Impression: There are very few, if any other artists that you could fairly compare Rasputina to, as they are so unique and individual. the most impressive songs on this album, I would say would be "How We Quit The Forest," "Rose K." and "You Don't Own Me." I love Rasputina for their innovative approach to the (very) alternative music scene and the haunting quality of their music. The vocals sometimes leave me dissapointed, however in terms of (vocal) quality, I would say this is her best album. I would definately buy this album again, along with the rest of their previous and later work. // 9

Comments