A Collection Of Pop Classics review by Reagan Youth

Reagan Youth: A Collection Of Pop Classics

This is Reagan Youth's only two albums combined into one. Reagan Youth is one of my top five favorite bands. The songs from the first album are fast and short. Despite this, they are not really like most hardcore punk bands. Instead of just playing a few power chords they put some great fills in and usually the riffs are a little more complex the a chord progession. Also, their bassist really knows how to play. There are also some pretty cool solos in their first album. The songs from their second album are even better (in my opinion although most people will disagree). They lots of great guitar solos (Queen Babylon has the the best solo I've heard). Some of the songs must've taken so long to write, like "What Will The Neighbors Think." The whole song is like a guitar solo, but it's not really, you'll just have to hear it. You can tell that their guitarist likes Jimi Hendrix.

The lyrics are mostly political. They make great points. Usually they are about peace. Best song lyricaly is "Jesus Was A Communist," it's only got four lines but its great.

Reagan Youth is one of the few punk bands with talent. They can play their instruments and their lyrics aren't just offensive for the sake of being offensive. Definatly one of the greatest bands ever.

Axe Miester
    I like that review by GuitarPlaya. He's not afraid to admit he likes the second half of the CD when most 'punks' are 'too punk' to like anything but the first ten songs. I find it ironic that "Back to the Garden", "Queen Babylon" and "One Holy Bible" were written and performed by their original lineup, with Andy Zapathy on bass and Charly Tripper on drums repsectively. And we shouldn't forget that "Urban Savages", "It's A Beautiful Day", "Acid Rain" and Brave New World" were included in their main set when Al Pike and Steve Luby (the second lineup on Volume One) toured with the band. You can hear them play those songs live on the Reagan Youth 'Live and Rare' CD. "What Will The Neighbors Think?" is and will always be an amazing punk song thanks to those great lyrics and four chords (I know, it's only supposed to be three chords for a song to be truly punk). But because that song does not have that 'Bad Religion' produced sound that's been aped to death since the nineties, doesn't mean it's not punk. Au contraire: the non conformity of their sound is what makes it so punk. So lets give thanx that Stoner music can sound POLITICAL, PUNK and PROFESSIONAL all at the same time.