Spirit Review

8.2
 9.2
 2,138
Spirit Featured review by: UG Team, on september 02, 2013

Sound: Finnish hair metal revivalist group Reckless Love have been bringing back the hard hitting group choruses, finger blistering guitar solos and big hair of the '80s since 2001. However it wasn't until 2010 that the band would be introduced to a worldwide audience following the release of their self-titled debut studio album. The band's signature style, which is built around some significant influences from such bands as Def Leppard, Skid Row and David Lee Roth, allowed them to stand out amongst other up-and-coming rock groups and immediately caught the attention of hair metal followers around the world, most notably in the UK and United States.

Reckless Love followed up their debut album the following year with their second studio album, titled "Animal Attraction." 2012 showed the release of a new EP, "Born to Break Your Heart," which was comprised mostly of acoustic renditions of their previously released songs and a few previously unreleased live recordings. Continuing the band's apparent effort for one new album a year, Reckless Love have just released their third studio album, which shows the rock group continuing in the same direction previously showcased on the band's previous outings.

"Spirit" is an album of hard hitting compositions that run right in the vein of the band's musical inspirations. The album is immediately jump started with "Night on Fire," a song that begins with a Caribbean-style percussion section before rocketing off into the midnight sky with a compilation of deep vocal melodies and virtuosic lead guitar work. Reckless Love move into Steel Panther territory with "Metal A-s," a comedic rock song built around blistering guitar playing and another memorable chorus. // 8

Lyrics: Lead vocalist Olli Herman implements a number of different influences into his lyrical execution and singing style. Best described as a cross between Joe Elliott, David Lee Roth and Dee Snider, Olli's vocal performance is one of the more dominant factors in the lineup that makes the signature Reckless Love sound so standout. You can have a hair metal group with a fantastic lead guitarist, a take charge percussionist, a commanding bass player. But in order to be great, you need to have a lead vocalist with personality and a unique sound. And that is exactly what Olli Herman is. Olli applies strong levels of charisma to his wide vocal range, and it's his performance that drives the entire listening experience well beyond any preset expectations. // 8

Overall Impression: With some hair metal bands, after a couple great studio albums they burn out and eventually fade away. But this is not the case with Reckless Love; with their third studio album, Reckless Love deliver a collection of nostalgic hair metal anthems that are bursting with intensity and authoritative musical complexity. For any fan of such new bands as Steel Panther and The Treatment, as well as the original hair metal music era, this is an album that comes highly recommended. // 8

- Lou Vickers (c) 2013

Spirit Reviewed by: Rocknrolla35, on december 06, 2013

Sound: The guys did a good job recording this album. It's a high-quality record. Everything kicks a-s. Jalle's bass is audible and he gets the job done perfectly, Hessa(drummer) plays with considerable power(especially on the tracks "Metal A-s" and "I Love Heavy Metal"), Pepe(guitarist) f--kin' rips, and Olli (singer) makes a great delivery. If there is something you can nag to, then it's only the fact that some of the songs sound a bit more modern than most of glam-metalheads would want to. My overall impression: This is an album, that contains a bit of everything good. Some of the songs are REALLY HEAVY, some are light, some are in-between. There's almost nothing that I hate about this album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are f-ggin' GREAT. Not only do you get party themes, but also you get stuff that you normally don't really expect from a glam metal band. For instance, it may NOT be obvious, but the songs "Runaway," "Sex Drugs and Reckless Love," and "The Edge of Our Dreams" are quite philosophic in nature. The track "Metal Ass" provides a few good chuckles, with it's lyric over a quite Judas Priest-esque riffing and drumming. The vocals on "Metal A-s" are quite Halford-esque too. The tracks "Night on Fire" and "I Love Heavy Metal" provide a great party theme, and a great start to your the listening experience. There is only one thing that I hate 'bout the lyrics. The song "Sex, Drugs and Reckless Love" kinda advertises drug abuse a little. But any sane being will understand that it's NOT meant as: "Go become a junkie!" // 9

Overall Impression: Despite that some glam metal bands are certainly better than Reckless Love, and some classic albums like "Out of the Cellar," "Shout at the Devil," "Under Lock and Key," "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Theatre Of Pain" are better than Reckless Love's album "Spirit," this is fairly strong album. It's as good as (if not better than) "Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich" by Warrant, or "Look What the Cat Dragged In" and "Open Up and Say... Ahh!" by Poison. I'd say, that it even is almost on par with "Appetite for Destruction" by Guns N' Roses, due to the sheer deviant and challenge-giving sound and lyrics of some songs on the album. Just listen to the song "Die Hard," if you don't believe me. For me, the most impressive songs on this album are "Night on Fire," "I Love Heavy Metal," "Metal A-s" and "Die Hard." I like nearly everything about this album, except that some songs sound a bit too modern, but that's alright. I like this album, and if you're into glam metal - you'll like it too. If it was stolen - I'd try to find the person who stole it from me and have a nice, little "conversation." But if couldn't get it back, then I'd buy a new copy again. // 8

Comments