Release The Panic: Recalibrated review by RED

• Released: Apr 29, 2014
RED: Release The Panic: Recalibrated

The whole point of this album was to add strings to some of the songs from their last album, "Release the Panic." Michael Barnes, lead singer, always sounds good, but with the addition of the strings in the songs, I really enjoyed it thoroughly. Especially enjoyed the new version of "Hold Me Now," which would be my favorite song on the album. "Run and Escape," the only new song also had strings that brought back Red's signature style of strings and rock. In "Release the Panic," Red was beginning to sound very generic, and not original. The main reason I first started listening to Red was I enjoyed their use of strings then adding a hard rock style, along with vocals that quickly change from a soft tone to a very loud tone, with some screams involved too added to my enjoyment.

This being a re calibrated album, there was only one new sing, with that being "Run and Escape," I would of liked to see a few more new songs since Red has had over a year since the last album release. I thought with the addition of the strings, I was able to listen, enjoy, and think about the lyrics Red was really saying to their listeners. I found this theme especially in "So Far Away." "Run and Escape" at some points were hard to understand, but for the most part I could understand, and could clearly make out the message they were trying to send to their loyal fans.

While disappointed to not having more new songs, I really enjoyed Red's new album. I was discouraged when the original "Release the Panic" was released, because they started to sound like a generic rock band. Red had its own style with strings, and they brought that style back in "Release the Panic: Recalibrated." This album was a huge success, and in my opinion, is much better than its original album. Michael Barnes and the entire band sound amazing with the added strings, and this helped convey their messages their songs were trying to send me, specifically in "Hold Me Now" and "So Far Away." This album is definitely worth listening to.

crazysam23_Atax
    I always thought Red was better with strings. I disliked that "Until We Have Faces" didn't have a lot of strings and didn't pay attention to "Release the Panic". This is a lot better. Their songs just sound a lot fuller and richer with strings.
    igo147
    I love strings and Red is one of my favourite bands, but I can't help the feeling this one was really, really forced. It's like they tried to fill every possible space with new string arrangements just to show the orchestra is back, and it often sounds overdone.