Until We Have Faces review by RED

• Released: Feb 1, 2011
RED: Until We Have Faces

"Until We Have Faces" is Red's third full release and I have to say, it does not disappoint at all. Being a fan of the band since their first album "End of Silence" I am pleased to say that they have developed their sound considerably since their last release. The sound itself is much darker in this record, with the guitars much heavier than "Innocence and Instinct" and the melancholic synths such as in "Let It Burn". The guitar riffs are also more complex this time around, an example being in "Feed the Machine". I don't speak as a fan, but I can't really find any major issues in the instrumental aspect of the music after the first couple of listens.

The lyrics seem to have become much darker as well, with themes such as feeling emotionally empty like in "Faceless" being there for someone who appears to be slipping away like in "Not Alone". I could actually hear the pain in the singer's voice unlike the last two albums. Personally, I can relate to the lyrics quite well as well which just amplifies my liking for them. The lyrics definitely goes well with the music and it is sung incredibly well, with the melodies catchy and at times unpredictable which makes it more interesting to listen to.

This is a solid album that I would definitely buy again if it was lost or stolen. Tracks to look out for are "Feed the Machine", "Faceless", "Not Alone" and "Hymn for the Missing". In particular, listen out for the piano/synth parts in the last track, it really shows the band's sensitive side. Enjoy guys, you won't regret it!

BwareDWare94
    a drummer
    not much of a fan, but 'id have to say this cover is kinda a "rip-off" of Godsmack's Faceless
    Ita3rd
    I think there are definitely some good songs on this album, the only problem really is that after a while it all starts to sound the same. On End of Silence a lot of the songs sounded similar to each other but I feel like the riffs and melodies were unique enough that it didn't really grate on your nerves as much. It seems like a lot of the diversity has gone away in their recent material, and I'm still waiting for them to release a song with a guitar solo to liven things up a little.
    jk93
    endofnothing2
    I love the three albums, Red is an amazing band (one of the best bands I ever heard) but I have to agree with Ita3rd, I'd love to hear some guitar solos in the next albums it would be amazing
    transATL005
    I kind of expected their sound would become generic and those expectations were met. There's a couple good songs on here but even more material that feels like it's all been done before.
    BwareDWare94
    jk93 wrote: I have to disagree about complex guitar-work. There is none on this album, yet I still love it. This band is amazing. They don't need to be flashy or complex to get in their listeners' heads. I love every second of an album by them. End in Silence is still their best, easily. Innocence and Instinct and Until We Have Faces are very solid, though. Until We Have Faces has the best concept, though. By far. Don't you think the guitar work in "Feed the Machine" is slightly more advanced than their past guitar work? But I agree with you on the whole concept thing, it's brilliant.
    Not at all. It's very simple riff. Look it up on the tab. If any riff is complex in that album, it's the main riff from Lie to Me.
    judo_john
    Yeah, good songs on there. After a while though I just lost interest. Sounds very samey,and tends to drag in a bit. Big fan of Red though
    thebigal
    This is a great album. Sure it's not the most complex but warrantys a rating of 9. Cheers