Blood Sugar Sex Magik review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik

The Red Hot Chili Peppers basically invented their own brand of funk/rock music. Their previous record, 1988's "Mother's Milk", marked the debut of guitarist John Frusciante and drummer Chad Smith. While that was a faster, less mature record, this album marks their comeuppance as one of the world's largest rock bands. Their sound on the album blends sexy funk rock with laid back, mellow tunes such as "Under The Bridge" and "Breaking The Girl". Some of the heavier, harder tunes, such as "Suck My Kiss" and "My Lovely Man" really stick out as standout out tracks on a phenominal record. A true innovation of modern rock.

Anthony Kiedis is perhaps one of the greatest contempary lyricists. While the meaningful "Under The Bridge" is about his experiences under the bridge taking heroin, this is not the only tracks where the lyrics stand out. "The Power of Equality" is a tune about fairness in society, without making it sound like a lecture. "The Righteous and the Wicked" is an anti war song in a funky package. My favourite song lyrically is "Sir Psycho Sexy", where at the start it appears to be a standard sex song, but toward the end, Anthony opens up and expresses what he feels about his life, his world and his friends. The final line of the album really stands out for me as very metaphorical, "It's so nice out here, I think I might just stay for a while." He could be talking about the imminent fame he was to receive. Everytime you listen to this album you discover something more.

This album changed the way I thought about music. Just when I thought I was heading in a different direction with my music, "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" came and changed me forever. Ever since I borrowed a copy of this of my friend, my guitar playing has never been the same. For mine, an almost flawless album.