Blood Sugar Sex Magik review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik

The Chili Peppers are a band with their roots in punk rock - they played punk places and listened to punk bands - but they they are not a punk rock band. They invented their own style of music and on this album it was defined - a perfect blend of sexy funk, hard and soft rock and metal. After the death of the original guitarist Hillel Slovak and the departure of original drummer Jack Irons, drummer Chad Smith and the eighteen year-old guitarist John Frusciante were taken on. The new band's first release together was 'Mother's Milk' and while it is good, it feels very new - the members are trying to get to know each other and the way things work and they haven't fully developed their sound, but on BloodSugar, they did. This was the album that put the Chili Peppers on the map and if you listen to it, you'll understand why. Anthony's singing is very heartfelt, Flea is brilliant on bass, Chad is a power machine on the drums and there are no words to describe the brilliance of John Frusciante's guitar playing on this album!

I love the lyrics on this album. Anthony Kiedis has to be one of the best lyricists in the world. 'The Power Of Equality' tells us that we must unite and stop discrimination. 'The Righteous And The Wicked' is about war and how it's so wrong and how it's hurting the Earth "Tears on her pretty face for she has been raped". Then there's the powerful lyrics in 'Under The Bridge'. These lyrics are my favourite on the album because they are gut-wrenchingly honest - Anthony expresses his feelings about his heroin use "Under the bridge downtown, I gave my life away". Then, another set of lyrics that I love, "My Lovely Man". This song was written for Hillel Slovak and in it Anthony shares his feelings about his friend and how Hillel's death made him feel and they are powerfully emotive - "Just in case you never knew, I miss you Slim, I love you too" and "See my heart, it's black and blue." The lyrics also fit in nicely with the music - 'The Power Of Equality' and 'The Righteous And The Wicked' are funky and powerful, "Under Bridge" is a soft ballad with poweful lyrics and 'My Lovely Man' is powerful in both the music and the lyrics. And Anthony's singing is incredible - he really expresses himself well. You can get something new out of this album every time you listen to it.

Personally, I could not live without this album. John's guitar work on this inspired me to pick up a guitar myself and he will always remain one of my strongest inspirations. My favourite songs on the album are 'Under The Bridge' (my favourite song ever) because of it's gentle power, 'My Lovely Man' because of the heartfelt way it's played and sung, 'Suck My Kiss' because it's so damn funky you just have to dance to it and 'I Could Have Lied' - just listen to the guitar in that song! I don't hate anything about this album (are you mad asking me that!) because for me it is perfection. If it was stolen or lost, I'd probably cry for about ten hours and then run to the nearest record store to buy it again!