Blood Sugar Sex Magik review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are my favorite band with my favorite sound. Ther sound, quite simply, is a mixture of funk rock with some odd punk and alternative influences. Blood Sugar Sex Magik is not their funkiest album (Freaky Styley, anyone), but it is the one that best displays their sound and is, quite simply, the best album. It is what I consider the best by any band, my favorite all around with not a single song I skip on it. The best sound by one of the best bands, and BSSM is their peak; their crowning achievement.

AK's style is love or hate; he's got the meaningful splender (Under The Bridge, I could Have Lied) which most everyone loves, but then there's the stuff that you have to either be weird to appreciate or learn to appreciate. Examples include Naked In The Rain ("Dr. Dolittle what's your secret/give it to me doctor/don't keep it") and Apache Rose Peacock ("Lunatics on pogo sticks/Hicks don't mess with politics/Another southern fried freak show kickin to the licks"). While I love the funky lyrics, they're not for everyone. This is not a starter's RHCP album, that's Californication or maybe even BTW. But if you know the band and the sound, this is the best of the best.

My favorite album from anywhere, I would buy it time and time again if it was stolen. I've even given my copy away and bought myself another one because I wanted someone else to appreciate how beautiful the album is. I'd say most anyone can enjoy it, but not everyone can love it entirely. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are a modern greatness, the Led Zeppelin of the modern rock world. Blood Sugar Sex Magik is their crowning achievement, most hardcore fan's favorite, and the best display of the RHCP sound. John Frusciante displays his best guitar work, Flea shows his best bass work, Chad shows his best drum work, AK shows his best funk lyrics and his most meaningful all within the confines of 17 tracks. I love all 17. You probably will too.