Blood Sugar Sex Magik review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik

The band's sound in this CD is classic: not an overproduced, technical masterpiece but a raw-sounding thing. In fact, after the solo in the song "You Have To Ask" you can hear everyone clapping because guitarist John Frusciante finally got it all right in one take. The overall sound is funky, with songs like "Blood Sugar Sex Magik," "Power of Equality," "Funk Monks," and others sticking out clearly to me over the rest. Past the funky sound, however, there are a few slow songs on this album, like "Breaking the Girl," "I Could Have Lied" and of course the mega-hit "Under the Bridge." This album's sound probably inspired many other bands like Incubus into playing the type of music they did. The sound cannot be matched.

In this album, vocalist Anthony Kiedis shows his versatality as a writer and a vocalist. In one song, he can be talking about sex, drugs, and all of that other nice stuff; in slower songs, like "Breaking the Girl" he sings almost obviously about his past. His versatality as a singer is that he can spit out funky white-boy rap and then be singing a slow melodic song also. The raw, near underproduced sound shows that he truly does it, unlike many albums nowadays who put so much production on vocals.

It compares to only the other Red Hot Chili Peppers CDs, it's hard to replicate (even loosely) the sound of the band. And I wouldn't say it even compares much in that category, as each one of the Red Hot Chili Pepper's albums is a new experience. Some of the most impressive songs include the popular hit "Give It Away," but some of my favorite are "Naked in the Rain" for the catchy chorus and "I Could've Lied" for its mellowness and amazing chorus and solo. If it was stolen or lost, I'd buy another, definitely.