Blood Sugar Sex Magik review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik

The sound of this album is beyond fantastic. Lengendary producer Rick Rubin made the Chili Peppers stars with this album. Anthony's voice sounds splendid. John is a great guitar player who can write lots of great riffs and solos. Chad is a consistant, solid drummmer who contributes especially on Breaking the Girl and he makes Anthony, John and Flea sound even better. Flea is arguably the greatest bassist to walk the earth and you'll believe me when you listen to this landmark, Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Sometimes Anthony writes lyrics that are downright silly but they always seem to work with the music. I thought his best lyrical efforts on the album were, Under the Bridge, I Could Have Lied, and My Lovely Man (written as an ode to dead guitarist, co-founder of the band, and Anthony's best friend, Hillel Slovak.) Some of the odder lyrics of the album are Mellowship Slinky In B Major, Apache Rose Peacock, and Sir Phsyco Sexy) Despite the slight lyrical flaws, Anthony sounds great throughout the entire album.

This album in my opinion, is the best album of the '90s. The most impressive songs are the Garbage-banging ballad, Breaking the Girl, the dramatic Under the Bridge, the dirty yet musically dominant Sir Phsyco Sexy and Apache Rose Peacock, and of course Give It Away. I love this whole album so when you buy it listen to the whole thing straight through because every song is worth it. Trust me, from the adrenalizing opener, Power Of Equality all the way to the zany They're Red Hot you'll wonder how such a timeless and impressive record was ever produced.

hammet_malakian
    one of the best albums ever, deff. the best chili pepper's album-stadium arcadium is good too though
    JD89
    Definately one of the best albums ever, every song has something very special.
    drtudor
    fornication: the RHCP story is awsome aswell. it gives a history of music aswell as telling you about the chilis
    con job
    justinR951 wrote: read scar tissue. it's a book written by anthony kiedis. a good ****in biography about the band
    Love that book you feel such a bettr connection with the band after reading it
    justinR951
    DOOdooroCK
    this album is too good 4 words.....evry1 in the album rocks there part, anthony perfectly blends his singin and rapin and lyrics, its too hard to describe flea's bass playin b/c he so awesome!!!, chad smith rockin tha beats and drum fills betteer than any otha drummers, and John Fruscainte could've been called tha second jimi hendrix if he was black and left handed
    FruFighter
    turnfoot wrote: John Frusciante = guitar GOD!!!
    Finally someone's saying it besides me!
    Seri0usJ0ker
    Best album. John is an amazing guitarist, Flea is bass god, Anthony's vocals ARE great, and Chad is a greeeat drummer.
    con job
    this is the best album EVER!!!!!every single song has a life of its own its absolutely amazin love everythin about it
    Footzyrama
    All 9 red hot chili peppers albums have been brillaint, raw and vibrant and i f***ing love them. Flea John and Chand are brillaint at there instruments and anthony rights brillaint lyrics and performs them how there suppose to be. Red hot chili's ROCK!!!
    RouletteDares__
    so this album is practically one of the best if you play bass. i would have to disagree about Anthony Keidis' voice getting better as it went on, on this album, his vocie is way more powerful. also i think that Fruciante hasn't really improved that much and that his old stuff is way better.
    Gibson_Rocker13
    this is the album that made me want to strat a band and play guitar when i was five. john frusciante ftw
    toolfan_121
    I don't really like this album. I only like a couple of songs. RHCP have progressed a lot through the years. Their new material is better in my opinion. For example Anthony Keidis' voice sounds better now than it did on this album. But John Frusciante has always rocked.