Blood Sugar Sex Magik review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik

This album practically creates a new sub genre of funk. This album moves every bone in your body. Even people who hate the Red Hot Chili Peppers will start moving against their will. John Frusciante also progresses from his metal based chops on Mothers Milk, to a sound that was cleaner, and overall more melodic. This is also the first time he experimented with playing the recorded guitar part backwards to make a more haunting sound.

The lyrics on this album range from political rant (Power of Equality) to slick (Give it Away) to ridicolous (Sir Psycho Sexy).The lyrics also fit the swagger of the Peppers at this time perfectly. This is Anthony Kiedis' best vocal performance on a Red Hot Chili Peppers album, because he raps most of the record (although he does find his singing voice in Under the Bridge and Breaking the Girl).

This album is probably my favourite of theirs to date, as it is most original, but it is a bit too long, and becomes slightly tedious towards the end. I love the drumming and guitar parts especially, and it is way ahead musically of similar bands at the time (Faith No More, Beastie Boys). If it were stolen I would buy it again straight away.

bb_phobia
    this is flat out my favourite album of all time (well, this and californication).
    jiro_the_fish91
    this album is perfect. i love every peppers album, but this is the only one that i could listen to at any time and finish all the way through. sometimes, occasionally, i might be in the mood for freaky styley or something, and i'll sit and listen to it all. but with blood sugar,i would happily do that at anytime. its just perfect.
    bassist_j_666
    HotTamalies743 wrote: Californication is better than blood sugar sex magik Just have to throw that out there
    ..in your opinion. I personally LOVE Californication but it still can't compare to this album. Almost every Chilis album is absolutely phenominal, best band on the planet by far. I'd give anything to live as a teenager in the Freaky Styley days. I just wish they hadn't sold out and made Stadium Arcadium.. I hate that album it's just so... pop... and... not Chilis. I also agree with Anthony in the i hate 'The Greeting Song', Chilis should always have the freedom to stick to Chilis! P.S - 'I Could Have Lied' is the most beautiful piece of music ever written, straight from the heart of Kiedis.