Blood Sugar Sex Magik review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Thank God! As the follow up to 1989's take-it-or-leave-it Mother's Milk, BloodSugarSexMagik truely is a gem. Where John's uninspired riffs from the previous record left the listener unsated, this record fully satisfies; Flea's bass playing (this is the one record where he didn't slap), Anthony's singing, and Chad's drum pounding are also funky, emotional, and powerful, respectively. From the antiwar anthem "The Righteous and the Wicked" to the sensually funky sex rap "Sir Psycho Sexy", the sound is always clean, bright, and downright freaky styley! With the help of a wah pedal and twang fingerstyle (Funky Monks), John Frusciante carved up quite an aural feast; Flea's varied fingerstyle also supplements the record's funky feeling by setting the mood; Chad's layered drumbeats are often oddly refreshing, most notably in the drum solo on "Breaking the Girl." The album's overall sound is undefinable, as it varies from thrash to funk to acoustic, and honestly, had this not been been recorded, the music world would have been on life support without a chance of resuscitation if if died.

Please note: this is not intended for small children's ears! With various references to sexual acts and genitalia, this is best played out of children's earshot, although they fit the albums theme. Ah hem... that aside, the deeply emotional lyrics express everyday feelings such as rage (Power of Equality), love (The Greeting Song; I Could of Lied; My Lovely Man, a tribute to deseased Hillel Slovak), misanthropy [people hating] (Naked in the Rain), among others. Anthony's stoic voice varies from a furious half-rap (Give it Away, Power of Equality) to a melodic croon (Under the Bridge, a sentiment about Kiedis' drug abuse) and comes across as a force to be reckoned with. John Frusciante and his mother Gail contributed some vocals to the album, although their involvement was merely in the background.Although Kiedis and Frusciante are not the greatest singers in the history of rock, the vocals and lyrics are quite impressive, although just a tad unpolished.

My God! What a record! Look, the current offerings of the music world are slim pickings, so take a step back into 1991, one of the greatest years in the history of mankind. If you enjoy the funk of Jamiroquai, the thrash of Jane's Addiction (bear in mind, only a few of these songs are thrash-based), or the earnest goodness of wholesome music, do yourself a favor and hit up a record store for this album. Believe it or not, there is no filler on this album, except for the upbeat little jam "They're Red Hot", and the best track picks are the ones that you DON'T hear on the radio, including the funky "Sir psycho Sexy", the melancholy "I Could Have Lied", the crisp "Breaking the Girl", the honest "Under the Bridge", and quite frankly, everything else! With this record, there is a definite love/love relationship, which so few modern albums convey. Take it from me: if some douche bag had pilfered my copy of this, I would hunt him down, "Say What?" him (that's a Pulp fiction reference), dust off my kidnapped CD, and walk off into the sunset, knowing that I could fall asleep listening to the record with thoughts of slinkies, elephants, and blood sugar sucker fish. Go out there and get your own copy!

meleadyoufollow
    DVBAS
    meleadyoufollow wrote: DOOdooroCK wrote: this album is too good 4 words.....evry1 in the album rocks there part, anthony perfectly blends his singin and rapin and lyrics, its too hard to describe flea's bass playin b/c he so awesome!!!, chad smith rockin tha beats and drum fills betteer than any otha drummers, and John Fruscainte could've been called tha second jimi hendrix if he was black and left handed Yes. Anthony Kiedis has always been a fantastic raper. ha. and, of course we couldn't possibly compare john to hendrix, because he is white and right-handed. because i like to base my comparisons on race and hand use. not anything like actual guitar skill, and soul. that would be stupid.
    Good one
    guitarfreak222
    WHOOOO rick rubin produced this album...he produced metallicas new album...WHOOOOO CHILLIS!!!! AND METALLICA!!!!!