Blood Sugar Sex Magik review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Sep 24, 1991
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik

The sound of Blood Sugar Sex Magik is really funky, like some kind of flared, nineteen seventies physcodelic dream, Flea's bass guitar skills are at their peak on this album, his talents shines through especially in 'Suck My Kiss'. Chad Smith's drumming adds a great beat that the instruments rotate around. John Frusicante's guitar is used well however I feel they could have added a slight tinge more. Some songs however like 'Mellowship Slinky in B Major' have him blasting through proffessional riffs. I also love the warped sound that 'Give it Away' has, using a Jewish Harp. However a few songs do tend to song very similar within this album. 'Under the Bridge' is the most unique song on the album, having a sound similar to that of the later album - 'By the Way'.

The lyrics within the songs are overtly sexual, but when listening it merely passes by your mind, and you don't mind. It almost feels in some songs like Anthony Kiedeis is rapping (Suck My Kiss) and others moaning (Blood Sugar Sex Magik). Anthony Kiedis is an accomplished singer and this album shows of is strange voice-bending techniques(Give it away). However his voice lacks much emotion in this album, which makes every vocal track sound very similar.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik is one of the Red Hot Chili Pepper best albums, not as modern as Stadium Arcadium, not as content-rich as Californication, but the most interesting of them all. The album is like one large riveting sound, being playing over with distortion. My Personal picks from this album are 'Give it Away', 'Suck My Kiss', 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik', and 'Under the Bridge' The album art is really cool, And inside is a booklet full of lyrics, and photographys of the band, as well as some up-close shots of their tattoos, Good for playing 'Guess the Chili Pepper'. So all in all, Not the best, but very close to that.

msjk91
    bssm in my opinion is the first album where anthony kiedis's vocals really stand out and show how talented he is... along with flea and chad smiths killer bass/drumlines, john has some of the funnest guitar riffs ive ever heard. its truely a ****in magnifecant album
    BlackWolf24
    This is the album that changed my life! I love it! I listen the whole album every day, i'm addicted to it. It's really the best album ever.