Blood Sugar Sex Magik Review

artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers date: 01/08/2010 category: compact discs
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Released: Sep 1991
Genre: Rock
Tones: Silly, Exuberant, Aggressive, Confident, Fun, Raucous, Playful, Boisterous, Irreverent, Rowdy
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Funk Metal
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.1
 9.6
 8.6
 4,020
Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 26, 2004

Sound: The Red Hot Chili Peppers basically invented their own brand of funk/rock music. Their previous record, 1988's "Mother's Milk", marked the debut of guitarist John Frusciante and drummer Chad Smith. While that was a faster, less mature record, this album marks their comeuppance as one of the world's largest rock bands. Their sound on the album blends sexy funk rock with laid back, mellow tunes such as "Under The Bridge" and "Breaking The Girl". Some of the heavier, harder tunes, such as "Suck My Kiss" and "My Lovely Man" really stick out as standout out tracks on a phenominal record. A true innovation of modern rock. // 10

Lyrics: Anthony Kiedis is perhaps one of the greatest contempary lyricists. While the meaningful "Under The Bridge" is about his experiences under the bridge taking heroin, this is not the only tracks where the lyrics stand out. "The Power of Equality" is a tune about fairness in society, without making it sound like a lecture. "The Righteous and the Wicked" is an anti war song in a funky package. My favourite song lyrically is "Sir Psycho Sexy", where at the start it appears to be a standard sex song, but toward the end, Anthony opens up and expresses what he feels about his life, his world and his friends. The final line of the album really stands out for me as very metaphorical, "It's so nice out here, I think I might just stay for a while." He could be talking about the imminent fame he was to receive. Everytime you listen to this album you discover something more. // 10

Overall Impression: This album changed the way I thought about music. Just when I thought I was heading in a different direction with my music, "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" came and changed me forever. Ever since I borrowed a copy of this of my friend, my guitar playing has never been the same. For mine, an almost flawless album. // 10

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: UtBDan, on september 26, 2005

Sound: The Red Hot Chili Peppers are my favorite band with my favorite sound. Ther sound, quite simply, is a mixture of funk rock with some odd punk and alternative influences. Blood Sugar Sex Magik is not their funkiest album (Freaky Styley, anyone), but it is the one that best displays their sound and is, quite simply, the best album. It is what I consider the best by any band, my favorite all around with not a single song I skip on it. The best sound by one of the best bands, and BSSM is their peak; their crowning achievement. // 10

Lyrics: AK's style is love or hate; he's got the meaningful splender (Under The Bridge, I could Have Lied) which most everyone loves, but then there's the stuff that you have to either be weird to appreciate or learn to appreciate. Examples include Naked In The Rain ("Dr. Dolittle what's your secret/give it to me doctor/don't keep it") and Apache Rose Peacock ("Lunatics on pogo sticks/Hicks don't mess with politics/Another southern fried freak show kickin to the licks"). While I love the funky lyrics, they're not for everyone. This is not a starter's RHCP album, that's Californication or maybe even BTW. But if you know the band and the sound, this is the best of the best. // 9

Overall Impression: My favorite album from anywhere, I would buy it time and time again if it was stolen. I've even given my copy away and bought myself another one because I wanted someone else to appreciate how beautiful the album is. I'd say most anyone can enjoy it, but not everyone can love it entirely. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are a modern greatness, the Led Zeppelin of the modern rock world. Blood Sugar Sex Magik is their crowning achievement, most hardcore fan's favorite, and the best display of the RHCP sound. John Frusciante displays his best guitar work, Flea shows his best bass work, Chad shows his best drum work, AK shows his best funk lyrics and his most meaningful all within the confines of 17 tracks. I love all 17. You probably will too. // 10

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: Biohazard, on june 10, 2004

Sound: If you want funk, soft and heavy rock in the same album, then this is your best bet. This is the record that really put the Chili's on the map (or a cd catalog). Kiedis's lyrics with Flea's godly bass riffs backing him up, along with Fruciante's awesome guitar playing and the badass pounding of Chad Smith make this album a definate must have. // 10

Lyrics: I think that Anothony Kiedis is a genius. He is able to make awesome lyrics out of anything. On "Give It Away" he talks about sharing feelings with everyone around you and yourself. "Power Of Equality" also stands out with its lyrics about discrimination and how we need to be me united. All these lyrics blend in to the instrumentalists perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I'd say that this is the best Chili album ever. I love the funky style of the old Chili Peppers and this is where my first songs as a kid came from. I'd say that "Under The Bridge" and "Suck My Kiss" are the best on this album, but I'm also a hardcore Chili Peppers fan so I love all their songs. It is definately worth the buy and if it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't waste a minute and run straight to the music store to buy it again. // 10

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2004

Sound: The Chili Peppers are a band with their roots in punk rock - they played punk places and listened to punk bands - but they they are not a punk rock band. They invented their own style of music and on this album it was defined - a perfect blend of sexy funk, hard and soft rock and metal. After the death of the original guitarist Hillel Slovak and the departure of original drummer Jack Irons, drummer Chad Smith and the eighteen year-old guitarist John Frusciante were taken on. The new band's first release together was 'Mother's Milk' and while it is good, it feels very new - the members are trying to get to know each other and the way things work and they haven't fully developed their sound, but on BloodSugar, they did. This was the album that put the Chili Peppers on the map and if you listen to it, you'll understand why. Anthony's singing is very heartfelt, Flea is brilliant on bass, Chad is a power machine on the drums and there are no words to describe the brilliance of John Frusciante's guitar playing on this album! // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics on this album. Anthony Kiedis has to be one of the best lyricists in the world. 'The Power Of Equality' tells us that we must unite and stop discrimination. 'The Righteous And The Wicked' is about war and how it's so wrong and how it's hurting the Earth "Tears on her pretty face for she has been raped". Then there's the powerful lyrics in 'Under The Bridge'. These lyrics are my favourite on the album because they are gut-wrenchingly honest - Anthony expresses his feelings about his heroin use "Under the bridge downtown, I gave my life away". Then, another set of lyrics that I love, "My Lovely Man". This song was written for Hillel Slovak and in it Anthony shares his feelings about his friend and how Hillel's death made him feel and they are powerfully emotive - "Just in case you never knew, I miss you Slim, I love you too" and "See my heart, it's black and blue." The lyrics also fit in nicely with the music - 'The Power Of Equality' and 'The Righteous And The Wicked' are funky and powerful, "Under Bridge" is a soft ballad with poweful lyrics and 'My Lovely Man' is powerful in both the music and the lyrics. And Anthony's singing is incredible - he really expresses himself well. You can get something new out of this album every time you listen to it. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally, I could not live without this album. John's guitar work on this inspired me to pick up a guitar myself and he will always remain one of my strongest inspirations. My favourite songs on the album are 'Under The Bridge' (my favourite song ever) because of it's gentle power, 'My Lovely Man' because of the heartfelt way it's played and sung, 'Suck My Kiss' because it's so damn funky you just have to dance to it and 'I Could Have Lied' - just listen to the guitar in that song! I don't hate anything about this album (are you mad asking me that!) because for me it is perfection. If it was stolen or lost, I'd probably cry for about ten hours and then run to the nearest record store to buy it again! // 10

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: ragehead111, on june 05, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is beyond fantastic. Lengendary producer Rick Rubin made the Chili Peppers stars with this album. Anthony's voice sounds splendid. John is a great guitar player who can write lots of great riffs and solos. Chad is a consistant, solid drummmer who contributes especially on Breaking the Girl and he makes Anthony, John and Flea sound even better. Flea is arguably the greatest bassist to walk the earth and you'll believe me when you listen to this landmark, Blood Sugar Sex Magik. // 10

Lyrics: Sometimes Anthony writes lyrics that are downright silly but they always seem to work with the music. I thought his best lyrical efforts on the album were, Under the Bridge, I Could Have Lied, and My Lovely Man (written as an ode to dead guitarist, co-founder of the band, and Anthony's best friend, Hillel Slovak.) Some of the odder lyrics of the album are Mellowship Slinky In B Major, Apache Rose Peacock, and Sir Phsyco Sexy) Despite the slight lyrical flaws, Anthony sounds great throughout the entire album. // 9

Overall Impression: This album in my opinion, is the best album of the '90s. The most impressive songs are the Garbage-banging ballad, Breaking the Girl, the dramatic Under the Bridge, the dirty yet musically dominant Sir Phsyco Sexy and Apache Rose Peacock, and of course Give It Away. I love this whole album so when you buy it listen to the whole thing straight through because every song is worth it. Trust me, from the adrenalizing opener, Power Of Equality all the way to the zany They're Red Hot you'll wonder how such a timeless and impressive record was ever produced. // 10

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 19, 2004

Sound: The Chilis are a completely unique band. Their perfect mixture of funk and rock makes them one of the best bands in the world. As much as I love the albums with Hillel (Fight Like A Barve is one of my favourite songs) and the first album with Frusciante I think that when they recorded Blood Sugar new guys John and Chad gelled really well with Flea's fantastic bass and Anthony's great lyrics. This album is one of the funkiest collection of songs I have ever heard as well as rocking me to the core of my soul, also the slower mellower songs like under the bridge and I could have lied really slow it down and show off another side of John's Awesome guitar playing. // 10

Lyrics: Anthony is one of the most underated vocalists in the world. Having started off basically as a rapper by the time the chili's recorded this album he had made himself into a great singer. The words fit the music perfectly. Anthony wrote some really great songs for this album there's some good political stuff like in the power of equality and the righteous and the wicked that gets the message across without being preachy. // 10

Overall Impression: This is in my opinion the Chilis best album. My favourite songs are Funky Monks, Under The Bridge, Mellowship Slinky In B Major and Suck My Kiss because I think that each of these songs is a brilliant example of a different aspect of the Chili's greatness. I love everything about this album, Anthony's lyrics kick ass John's guitarwork shows the world just how talented he is Chad is a metronome on speed and Flea is the best bassist in the world. Period. // 10

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: fleaslapking:), on november 21, 2005

Sound: First of all I'd like to say that I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I love their personalities, their abilities as musicians and most of all their music and this album captures all of these at the bands best. This album is essential for lovers of funk music. Frucientie and Flea work excellently together on all of the tracks on this album but especially well on Mellowship slinky in B major and the title song Blood Sugar Sex Magik. The overall sound of this album is excellent. I am 15 years old and I play bass guitar so I don't think that I can fully apreciate the quality of the sound as I was quite young when it was released, but I think anyone who listens to this album will agree that it is awesome! // 10

Lyrics: Many of the lyrics of the song have somthing to say about nothing but are fun anyway. they tie in with the music excellently and I believe that Anthony Keidis is one of the great vocal tallents in the world at the moment. He will later prove his skills in the album californication, which I think is the best chili's album lyrically. // 10

Overall Impression: As I have said I love the Chili Peppers I think that they are one of the best bands ever. If you like this album, I think you should buy the albums: Freaky Styley and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I used to think that californicaton was a better album, but I was so wrong. Although californication is probably the second best Chili peppers album, everyobne who has heard the Funkyness of this album will agree that is is better. The Chili's are releasing a new album quite soon and I cant wait. I hope they get back to their Funky roots and maybe it will be better than this album? Who Knows? I would not trade this album for any other album in the world. How could I? // 10

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: rhcp_9106, on march 11, 2006

Sound: This is probably the Chili's most creative record. The impression of the disc is very unique. One of the great things about RHCP is that you cannot place them under a specific style. In this album, that becomes very clear. The album blasts off with "The Power Of Equality", a rap-rock jam about rebellion against the government. The album continues on to different styles in songs like "Breaking The Girl," "I Could Have Lied," "Give It Away," the title track "Blood Sugar Sex Magik," the famous ballad "Under The Bridge," and ending on a goofy quick song "They're Red Hot." The musicianship on this album is nothing but amazing. John Frusciante did an excellent job of including a wide variety of chord styles, while Chad Flea basically scalloped his bass on songs like "Naked In The Rain." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very interesting. Obviously they aren't very child-friendly but add very unique sounds to the music. Anthony Kiedis seemed to take very interesting topics for the songs like "Mellowship Slinky In B Major," "Funky Monks" and "Apache Rose Peacock." The lyrics are also extremely sexually related, and not metaphoricly either. Songs like "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" and "Sir Psycho Sexy" are good, a crude, examples of that. Anthony Kiedis proves his skill on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is one of the Chili's best. Musically, against Californication and By The Way, it is much much better. It carried a handful of hits and showed the bands more creative side. The most impressive songs are "Under The Bridge," "Give It Away," "Suck My Kiss" and "Breaking The Girl." This is definitly worth a listen. // 10

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: floydzeppelin, on march 27, 2006

Sound: This album is top notch. I love the transitions from song to song, how they just all flow together, its just perfect. I would describe this music as funk and rock mixed, and its a perfect medley of styles. John Frusciante joined RHCP when he auditioned for them, and he changed the music. When he joined it became less raw, but more listenable, but the Red Hot Chili Peppers have always surprised with their music. The album was written and recorded in a mansion that the band beleived was haunted, but you can't head it in the music. Blood Sugar Sex Magik really made funk a really cool style, and made it cool to listen to, but they added so much more into the album, like in Sir Psycho Sexy, wah-wah on the bass (I think) and major and minor parts and in the other songs, they're all pretty long (over 4 minutes). Incredible! // 9

Lyrics: Well, RHCP is obsessed with sex and love and a lot of other things like that, but that doesn't mean the lyrics are bad. They go perfectly with the music, full of lust and cheekiness and coolness. They're also pretty funky when it comes to songs like Funky Monks, Mellowship Slinky in B Major and Sir Psycho Sexy. Anthony Kiedis is amazing on this album, it's really his break through, his voice gets so much better. This band really has a headstrong beat and its getsd you tapping your feet when the singing comes in. The singing on Under the Bridge is over the top amazing. // 9

Overall Impression: This albums doesn't compare with other artists. It is so good that u just CAN'T compare it. It has such varied music it's not like any other band. I am most impressed with Under the Bridge (isn't everybody), Sir Psycho Sexy, I Could've Lied, and really everything else, as it's just so incredibly funky, and kinda reckless. I am in love with the guitar and bass work, on John Friciante and Flea's behalf, they work so well together and with Chad Smith drumming his butt off. The only thing I would change is to take off Naked in the Rain. I've never liked the song. It just doesn't go with the rest of the album, but every other song makes up for it. If this cd got lost, I'd go to the store right away and buy it and another Chili Peppers album while I'm there, they're just too good. Get the CD, it's worth a 10 dollar bill, I'm telling you. If you don't like RCHP, get this album, if like them, get this album, if your don't know them, get this album. That's all I have to say. // 10

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: ilovemyepi, on may 15, 2006

Sound: The band's sound in this CD is classic: not an overproduced, technical masterpiece but a raw-sounding thing. In fact, after the solo in the song "You Have To Ask" you can hear everyone clapping because guitarist John Frusciante finally got it all right in one take. The overall sound is funky, with songs like "Blood Sugar Sex Magik," "Power of Equality," "Funk Monks," and others sticking out clearly to me over the rest. Past the funky sound, however, there are a few slow songs on this album, like "Breaking the Girl," "I Could Have Lied" and of course the mega-hit "Under the Bridge." This album's sound probably inspired many other bands like Incubus into playing the type of music they did. The sound cannot be matched. // 10

Lyrics: In this album, vocalist Anthony Kiedis shows his versatality as a writer and a vocalist. In one song, he can be talking about sex, drugs, and all of that other nice stuff; in slower songs, like "Breaking the Girl" he sings almost obviously about his past. His versatality as a singer is that he can spit out funky white-boy rap and then be singing a slow melodic song also. The raw, near underproduced sound shows that he truly does it, unlike many albums nowadays who put so much production on vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: It compares to only the other Red Hot Chili Peppers CDs, it's hard to replicate (even loosely) the sound of the band. And I wouldn't say it even compares much in that category, as each one of the Red Hot Chili Pepper's albums is a new experience. Some of the most impressive songs include the popular hit "Give It Away," but some of my favorite are "Naked in the Rain" for the catchy chorus and "I Could've Lied" for its mellowness and amazing chorus and solo. If it was stolen or lost, I'd buy another, definitely. // 10

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: frusciante_50, on september 17, 2007

Sound: This album practically creates a new sub genre of funk. This album moves every bone in your body. Even people who hate the Red Hot Chili Peppers will start moving against their will. John Frusciante also progresses from his metal based chops on Mothers Milk, to a sound that was cleaner, and overall more melodic. This is also the first time he experimented with playing the recorded guitar part backwards to make a more haunting sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album range from political rant (Power of Equality) to slick (Give it Away) to ridicolous (Sir Psycho Sexy).The lyrics also fit the swagger of the Peppers at this time perfectly. This is Anthony Kiedis' best vocal performance on a Red Hot Chili Peppers album, because he raps most of the record (although he does find his singing voice in Under the Bridge and Breaking the Girl). // 8

Overall Impression: This album is probably my favourite of theirs to date, as it is most original, but it is a bit too long, and becomes slightly tedious towards the end. I love the drumming and guitar parts especially, and it is way ahead musically of similar bands at the time (Faith No More, Beastie Boys). If it were stolen I would buy it again straight away. // 8

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2008

Sound: Thank God! As the follow up to 1989's take-it-or-leave-it Mother's Milk, BloodSugarSexMagik truely is a gem. Where John's uninspired riffs from the previous record left the listener unsated, this record fully satisfies; Flea's bass playing (this is the one record where he didn't slap), Anthony's singing, and Chad's drum pounding are also funky, emotional, and powerful, respectively. From the antiwar anthem "The Righteous and the Wicked" to the sensually funky sex rap "Sir Psycho Sexy", the sound is always clean, bright, and downright freaky styley! With the help of a wah pedal and twang fingerstyle (Funky Monks), John Frusciante carved up quite an aural feast; Flea's varied fingerstyle also supplements the record's funky feeling by setting the mood; Chad's layered drumbeats are often oddly refreshing, most notably in the drum solo on "Breaking the Girl." The album's overall sound is undefinable, as it varies from thrash to funk to acoustic, and honestly, had this not been been recorded, the music world would have been on life support without a chance of resuscitation if if died. // 10

Lyrics: Please note: this is not intended for small children's ears! With various references to sexual acts and genitalia, this is best played out of children's earshot, although they fit the albums theme. Ah hem... that aside, the deeply emotional lyrics express everyday feelings such as rage (Power of Equality), love (The Greeting Song; I Could of Lied; My Lovely Man, a tribute to deseased Hillel Slovak), misanthropy [people hating] (Naked in the Rain), among others. Anthony's stoic voice varies from a furious half-rap (Give it Away, Power of Equality) to a melodic croon (Under the Bridge, a sentiment about Kiedis' drug abuse) and comes across as a force to be reckoned with. John Frusciante and his mother Gail contributed some vocals to the album, although their involvement was merely in the background.Although Kiedis and Frusciante are not the greatest singers in the history of rock, the vocals and lyrics are quite impressive, although just a tad unpolished. // 9

Overall Impression: My God! What a record! Look, the current offerings of the music world are slim pickings, so take a step back into 1991, one of the greatest years in the history of mankind. If you enjoy the funk of Jamiroquai, the thrash of Jane's Addiction (bear in mind, only a few of these songs are thrash-based), or the earnest goodness of wholesome music, do yourself a favor and hit up a record store for this album. Believe it or not, there is no filler on this album, except for the upbeat little jam "They're Red Hot", and the best track picks are the ones that you DON'T hear on the radio, including the funky "Sir psycho Sexy", the melancholy "I Could Have Lied", the crisp "Breaking the Girl", the honest "Under the Bridge", and quite frankly, everything else! With this record, there is a definite love/love relationship, which so few modern albums convey. Take it from me: if some douche bag had pilfered my copy of this, I would hunt him down, "Say What?" him (that's a Pulp fiction reference), dust off my kidnapped CD, and walk off into the sunset, knowing that I could fall asleep listening to the record with thoughts of slinkies, elephants, and blood sugar sucker fish. Go out there and get your own copy! // 10

Blood Sugar Sex Magik Reviewed by: walkingwithjack, on january 08, 2010

Sound: The sound of Blood Sugar Sex Magik is really funky, like some kind of flared, nineteen seventies physcodelic dream, Flea's bass guitar skills are at their peak on this album, his talents shines through especially in 'Suck My Kiss'. Chad Smith's drumming adds a great beat that the instruments rotate around. John Frusicante's guitar is used well however I feel they could have added a slight tinge more. Some songs however like 'Mellowship Slinky in B Major' have him blasting through proffessional riffs. I also love the warped sound that 'Give it Away' has, using a Jewish Harp. However a few songs do tend to song very similar within this album. 'Under the Bridge' is the most unique song on the album, having a sound similar to that of the later album - 'By the Way'. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics within the songs are overtly sexual, but when listening it merely passes by your mind, and you don't mind. It almost feels in some songs like Anthony Kiedeis is rapping (Suck My Kiss) and others moaning (Blood Sugar Sex Magik). Anthony Kiedis is an accomplished singer and this album shows of is strange voice-bending techniques(Give it away). However his voice lacks much emotion in this album, which makes every vocal track sound very similar. // 8

Overall Impression: Blood Sugar Sex Magik is one of the Red Hot Chili Pepper best albums, not as modern as Stadium Arcadium, not as content-rich as Californication, but the most interesting of them all. The album is like one large riveting sound, being playing over with distortion. My Personal picks from this album are 'Give it Away', 'Suck My Kiss', 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik', and 'Under the Bridge' The album art is really cool, And inside is a booklet full of lyrics, and photographys of the band, as well as some up-close shots of their tattoos, Good for playing 'Guess the Chili Pepper'. So all in all, Not the best, but very close to that. // 9

Comments