By The Way review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jul 9, 2002
Red Hot Chili Peppers: By The Way

The album takes the more melodic, softer side of the band, (as first seen on 'Californication') even further. This album pretty much leaves behind the rougher, heavier, funk-metal sounds from 'Mothers Milk' and 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik'. Other than in the title track 'By the Way' and perhaps the bass driven 'Throw away your television', there is little in terms of funk-metal. However, I must insist this does not make it a bad album whatsoever. There are not really any bad songs on this CD, although if you are a fan of rap or mainly listen to death metal, this cd is probably not for you. Notable songs include: 'By the Way', 'Don't forget me', 'Can't Stop', 'Minor thing' and 'Venice Queen'. There are plenty other good ones, however, those are my favourites.

After 18 years, several band line-ups and seven albums, the Red Hot Chili Peppers have released their latest effort, entitled 'By the Way'. 'By the Way' is the follow up to the highly successful 'Californication'. 'Californication' sold over 14 million copies, was named album of the year at the 1999 grammies, and is undoubtedly a hard act to follow. But 'the peppers' have done well, with 'By the Way' debuting at number #1. All in all, this album basically has something for everyone, and I definitely recommend it. I give 'By the Way' 4 out of 5.