By The Way review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jul 9, 2002
Red Hot Chili Peppers: By The Way

The Chili's By The Way album as fantastic sound quality the whole way throughout the CD. This album displays the mellow, mature side of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and it is probably their second best album to date behind Blood Sugar Sex Magik. It follows the chilis mellow starting point when 'Under The Bridge' was released, and it couldn't get much better than this. The fantastic sound is best displayed on songs such as 'This Is The Place' and 'Dosed'.

The lyrics are probably one of the best things about this album, because though alot of the lyrics dont make sense they seem to bind together a song in a bizarre way. My favourite lyrics on the album would have to be the lyrics for 'Can't Stop', because they seem to have come from all different places and still seem to match with each other. The singer Anthony Kiedis sings with no trouble at all on this album, and it is his best singing to date, nailing every note in every song.

This album hardly compares with any other band, because it has such a distinct chilis sound to it. When listening to any of the songs from this album you know straight away that its the chilis, unlike on some of their other albums like 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' which has so many different styles of music on it. The best songs on this album in my opinion would have to be 'Dosed, 'Tear' and 'Can't Stop', the title track 'By The Way' is also a very impressive song. Overall I wouldnt leave one song off the album if I was to edit it in any way because they all nail a distinct spot for themeselves on the album. The only bad thing about this album is probably the same tune used in different songs as well as the same lyrics but thats hardly a skid mark in the brilliant album for if it was stolen, I'd without hesitation go right to my nearest CD store and buy it again.