By The Way review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jul 9, 2002
Red Hot Chili Peppers: By The Way

By the Way is a big departure from the bands other albums "Californication," "BSSM". But still presents a very pleasing record. Songs are more mellowed out and feature some of anthonys best vocals to date. But there was a lot of pressure between flea and john during the creation of the record with flea nearly quitting after it's completion. The red hots explore a poppier side of themselves on this record with songs like "Cabron" and "On Mercury." Even featuring piano and trumpet on "Tear".

The lyrics were very strong on this album with songs like "I Could Die For You", "Dosed", and "Venice Queen". Some of the chilis more nonsense rhyming appears on "can't stop and "by the way". One part of Can't Stop anthony sings "Mop top are happy when they feed you" which I don't know if anyones figured out. I think it's just random lyrics in a rhyme scheam. Anthony's skills have improved in his vocals but some people might find it a throw off if they like old albums like The Uplift Mofo Party.

I believe this album can stand up to "one hot minute" and the pre-john albums. But falls short of "Californication" and "BSSM". The most impressive songs are "Can't Stop," "By The Way," "The Zephyr Song" "Minor Thing" and "Tear". I just liked it because it could keep me intrested enough to listen to the whole album. But sometimes it was funky enough. I would buy it again the minute it came up missing.

ezza61
    Ugene wrote: This just goes to show how stupid people are. They say how good Flea is, but they love By The Way. People who play bass know how crap this album is. Californication Onwards, in my opinion sucked anushole. And I dont need to be "musically re-educated". Thats crap. Its my opinion, and I like all their other stuff. So **** you
    Just cuz hes not going crazy on the pop n slap doesnt mean its a shit bass album. Watch funky monks. Flea says he is sick and tired of doing the same old fast shit.. now hes serving the songs a purpose.. making them as best as they can be. Listen to throw away your television.. or even by the way has sick bass. jeez its not about being crazy at bass. But dont get me wrong about the ol flea... freaky styley is my favorite album.
    stalefishtweak
    I dont get it why some people dont like this album....sure universally speaking and by the way aren't so great but all the songs here are worth anyones time..... venice queen is just outstanding.....RHCP has that energy which can only be equalled by bands like iron maiden and metallica!!!!! HATS OFF RHCP!!!!
    stalefishtweak
    hammetfan86 wrote: Lyrics: Some might say that Anthony Kiedis has evolved in his lyrical skill. On one hand, his writing is nowhere near as random as on older albums, and he actually sings, instead of the early 90'half rap. I think there are occasionally times when he doesn't quite match the music, however. Throw Away Your Television, though one of the more fast paced, bass intensive songs, still lacks the energy they used to have. It would have sounded better with just a shade more intensity from everyone involved (except Flea). // 8 oh, ok, so your saying the rhcp should only be a one trick pony, where everyone would just get sick of them after like 2 or 3 albums like...oh ya... the BEASTIE BOYS or um...iunno disturbed, no oh wait, they changed, because they have the talent to do more than just funk/rap. they did what metallica did, and everyone puts them down too, rchp is STILL one of the best bands in all the world.
    WELL SAID!!!