By The Way Review

9.2
 5.4
 2,057
By The Way Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2004

Sound: This album prooves that Chili Peppers are, indeed, one of the best bands to ever grace this fair Earth. They have musical talent and chemistry that is almost impossible to rival. Flea is more than likely the best bass player in the world, John is a guitar god and Chad can drum up a storm. They have cleverly evolved their earlier albums and become much, much more than "those guys who wore socks on their cocks" and have gathered a whole heap of new fans while managing not to isolated their old ones. The album has something for everyone. Fans of the old school, funk-metal, erotically charged Chili Peppers will be contented with the thumping Throw Away Your Television and the almost too catchy Can't Stop and the title track By The Way when it quickly evolves from its nice soft riff to a song that will make the neighbour's flee in terror if played loud enough. While newer fans who entered the Chilis realm with Californication will be delighted to see that they have evolved this album even further and picked up where the softer songs of that album, Scar Tissue, In Particular, Left Off. // 10

Lyrics: I was shocked by the huge change in the lyrics that come with this album. Anthony's erotomania has been nicely confined so that whole family can listen. There are no blatant, in your face messages about how he adores the physical act of love nor are their any new blatant names for his manhood to add to your collection ("Funk-bone","Stun-gun" and "Johnson" to name but a few)but these changes are not bad at all. He showed us with "Under The Bridge" that he can right a whopping set of lyrics and he's done it repeatedly on this album. There are some bits that remind one of earlier times "Kiss that dyke/I know you want to hold one" but the album isn't overcrowded with such statements. Anthony is giving us a more mature version of himself and the album is full of truth and catchy little lyrics, the Zephyr song will lodge itself in your head for days. Anthony sings with a passion that you have to listen to. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favourite Chilis albums and nobody should be without it. You don't have to like to Chili Peppers to appreciate that this is a wonderful piece of work. My favourites on this are: By The Way, Can't Stop, The Zephyr Song, Dosed (it's really gorgeous), Don't Forget Me, Minor Thing and Venice Queen. If this was lost/stolen, I'd probably have a heart attack! Everyone should have this album. If you don't have it, buy it now! // 10

By The Way Reviewed by: better_unsaid, on december 16, 2003

Sound: This is by far the best red hot chili peppers cd. The ingenious way they use the guitar is awesome. Can't stop is an upbeat, fun song to listen too, and alot have a great way that they tie everything together and make it sound beautiful while at the same strong too. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very cool, they are able to ryme almost anything, explain it like it is and Know what they are talking about, it's just so cool. // 10

Overall Impression: It is so great, there are so many different styles they have put together. You should get the cd if you don't already. Everyone will like them, they have no bad sides cause they're music is so dif. while at the same time has everything in it. // 10

By The Way Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2005

Sound: Crazy funky beats combined with soft, melodic music that teenage girls will listen to. As far as innovations here, there's not much new. The chemistry of the band makes it sound good, and Flea and John Frusciante are amazing musicians. They take ordinary boring top 40 crap and make it moderately amusing. // 4

Lyrics: Some might say that Anthony Kiedis has evolved in his lyrical skill. On one hand, his writing is nowhere near as random as on older albums, and he actually sings, instead of the early 90'half rap. I think there are occasionally times when he doesn't quite match the music, however. Throw Away Your Television, though one of the more fast paced, bass intensive songs, still lacks the energy they used to have. It would have sounded better with just a shade more intensity from everyone involved (except Flea). // 8

Overall Impression: I have to say that this is just not the same band as the old Red Hot Chili Peppers. I personally miss the random sexploits of the old days. It gave the idea that they weren't always taking themselves too seriously. The real crime here though, is that a formerly great band has lost every ounce of the energy that made them so much fun. They're the kind of songs that if I saw them live, I wouldn't be able to start a pit (obviously), or even dance, or move. I'd probably just watch from my chair, slightly bored. There are a few decent songs, I suppose, but they all sound kind of the same. They're fairly slow, overly melodic, and I have trouble sitting through the entire CD without putting on an older one. Flea's insane bass skills are the only thing that saves this album for me, but good bass can only do so much to top 40 populist crap. And this is coming from someone who actually liked Californication. // 4

By The Way Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2006

Sound: Chrisp, clear, and beutifly put together. The music ran smoothly from cord to cord. A few very Funky songs including "Cabron" and "On Murcury" where Flea realy shows his skills. My favorite the song "Midnight" had a soft sound that melded together with fast parts giving it a stop, go, relax kind of beat. Everything was perfect sound wise and its a great album to chill with. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were brilliant. "Midnight" just blew me away with a almost medative kind of feeling and it has a different meaning for every state of mind. "Universally Speaking" I found very funny for some reason with the line "Universally speaking. I win in the long run." And "On Murcury" gave me something to attempt to figure out for hours and I've still not got it. If you sit and try to figure out the lyrics meanings its almost impossible and thats why I love it. // 8

Overall Impression: This CD is one of my prized possesions. Awesome sound and gorgeous lyrics. This ones on the helf between Stadium Arcadium and Californication. And the greatness doesn't stop at the music the CD case art is very cool. This IS one of the best albums in the alternitive rock library. So "Take the noose off your ambition." and if you havn't heard this album do it ASAP. It'll make your day, week, and year. // 10

By The Way Reviewed by: untitled039, on march 09, 2007

Sound: This is very different to the rest of the Chili Peppers material. Sometimes it's more mellow and sometimes more hard. The album has a bit of a varying style, which I think is a great thing. I must say John's guitar tone on this album is clearly outstanding. He uses it in a lot of solos like in 'Zephyr Song' and 'Minor Thing'. The drumming is also brilliant especially on 'Throw Away Your Television' and 'Warm Tape'. Here's a description of all of the songs. 01. By The Way - the title track of the album, and a brilliant opener. It's got the kind of explosive type of verse that you would expect from them and a great chorus to sing a long to. The bass line in this song is one of the best on the album although the record doesn't feature much of Flea's mental bass lines that are found on other albums like Blood Sugar Sex Magik or anything like that. All in all it's a great song and fits the harder side of the album quite well. I can't finish talking about this song without mentioning Chad's rhythms on this one. The verse's drumming is excellent, nothing more to say about it. 02. Universally Speaking - a slightly mellower song compared to the previous 'By The Way' with banging chords that fit quite well with the bass line. This song takes a while to get into but people who are great fans of this album will like it a lot. The chorus is a great contrast to the verse, a lot mellower with John's backing usual high-pitched backing vocals coming in. Like many of the Chili Peppers' songs, it finishes with a guitar solo. It's not very complicated or advanced, but goes well with the song. 03. This Is The Place - a bit dark compared to the previous two songs, with John putting his mammoth pedal board being put to good use with phaser laden tone on this one. The chorus is really good with some excellent backing vocals on there. The acoustic bridge offers a chord progression that is featured a lot on this album; F/C/Dm. The three or four notes that are used in the last part of the song sounds a lot fuller than it would without any effects on it, so if you want to cover this song, you would need to get out a phaser on this one. 04. Dosed - this song features a lot of layering on the guitar front. The two main parts go hand-in-hand with each other. Personally I prefer the verse to the chorus on this one. The strongest part of this song is the ending and the solo, which includes the brilliant tone that John uses for a few of the solos in this song. The bass line sounds very good on this number as well, although not very complicated. 05. Don't Forget Me - this is the song that you would be expected to wave your lighters at a gig to. The super fast guitars go brilliantly with the super slow rhythm. Once again Chad serves up some quality beats, especially in the verse. The two vocal parts of the chorus go really well with each other. The super simple solo is a good addition to the song. If you're looking for some of John's more complicated solos, go listen to Stadium Arcadium. 06. Zephyr Song - one of my favorite songs on the album. The verse is amazing; the guitar tone in general is amazing. The vocals are amazing. The bass sounds great. So does the drumming. This song sounds like the most relaxed of summer evenings if it was to represent any part of the day. The chorus is so light and breezy I love it. The solo is simply outstanding. I can't really describe what it feels like. It's that good. The guitar tone is simply amazing here as well. The bit after the chorus is amazing. Pretty much everything about this song is amazing. I love it. 07. Can't Stop - there is something for everyone in this one. Out of all the people I know who are not major fans of the Chili Peppers, this is their favorite song. I think it's got the best RHCP riff ever; it's probably my favorite riff of all time. This song is one of the few songs that features Flea's signature slapping on it that matches the guitar well. The chorus is typical of the ones you'll find on the rest of the album. John serves up another helping of his signature backing vocals, and they are brilliant. The bridge combines a bit of the verse and a bit of the chorus, and John uses his trusty phaser in as well. John doesn't show his godlike guitar playing through solos on this album as shown by this song, but as you'll hear on this album, he shows it in a whole world of different ways. It's surely a highlight of the album. 08. I Could Die For You - this is a much calmer song compared to the previous song, but it's a very good song nonetheless. The way John plays the chords and the way that they go so well with the drums on this song is incredible. This song shows that the bass is used more in a backing style rather than in a more prominent role like in most other albums, which is good in one way, but bad in another. 09. Midnight - I believe this has the best verse that the Chili Peppers have ever written. I love guitar, bass, vocals and drums so much in the verse. The other parts aren't too bad either. The chorus certainly has a sing-along feel to it. The second verse even better than the first. I think it's because of the extremely low pitched tuba or whatever it is and Johns backing vocals that do it. The strings part goes really well with the song as well, and the way the acoustic guitar is used on this song is really good as well. The main hook 'Everyone knows, anything goes' etc sound better and better as it goes along. 10. Throw Away Your Television - this is another one of my favourite songs on the album. The drumming pattern in this is phenomenal, I really love it, and I love the funky hi-hat bit in between the first chorus and first verse. The guitar part on this album is nowhere near as complicated as it sounds and the effects cover this up very well. The middle, more upbeat bit is great. This is one of the few songs on the album that Flea really does show the amazing bass player that he is that he shows on most other album. It's a great performance by all of them. 11. Cabron - you don't come across this kind of song by the Chilis very often. The acoustic guitar is brilliant and the drumming is excellent too. Anthony's vocal performance is also very strong on this one. I also believe that Flea used a stand-up bass (double bass) on this one too which sounds awesome. The little electric slide guitar parts tie in very well with the main acoustic chords. 12. Tear - probably the weakest song on the album for me. It seems quite boring to me, but there is light at the end of the tunnel for this song. The instrumental solos are very impressive as well. There is a guitar solo, trumpet solo and a little breakdown which is basically a load of cymbals and a mandolin (it might actually be a guitar) or something similar. I've got to compliment the guitar tone on the solo. In fact the only time it sounds like a guitar is used on this song is on the guitar solo and the trumpet solo. I don't think it's even used in the chorus. 13. On Mercury - a great song that makes you forget about all the weak points of the last song. The harmonica part gives the song a great feel. I love the guitar part in this one as well. The drumming also sounds great. I love the chorus, the vocals from both Anthony and John are simply awesome. I love Anthony's voice in the verse also. I really love the part in the middle where the drums just hit every two bars or whatever. It's a great song overall. 14. Minor Thing - I love this song as well. The guitar rhythm is great as well. Anthony again shows off his great vocal ability, especially in the little rapping bit in every verse. The drums give it a really good driving feel as well. I really love the simple solo in the middle, quite similar to ones on 'Can't Stop' and 'Zephyr Song'. The outro is definitely the strongest part of the song. It's another part of the album that is so good I can't describe it. Definitely a favorite 15. Warm Tape this is a bit underrated in my opinion. The drumming part is very good. The verse isn't the most exciting, but the chorus with the 12-string guitar is simply brilliant. The vocals are definitely another strong point of the song. The middle part of the song isn't bad either, again featuring the 12-string guitar. I really like the bass pattern in the song as well, although you can't hear it very well until the end. More people should hear this 16. Venice Queen - the best song ever written by any human being ever. Everything about this song is brilliant. I love the main riff and the tone of it. The vocals from Anthony and John are brilliant. The bass fits very well with the song and the drums are very good as well. Just when you think the song is finished, the strong acoustic chords come in. It's the most amazing feeling. Once the drums kick in, the electric part comes in that is simply amazing. It gets very hard to describe from here on in. It's amazing. Really amazing. I love this song more than any other song in the world. Nothing more to say. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good overall, but we all know the Anthony Kiedis isn't the best lyricist in the world. However the strength of Anthony and John's voices make up for this. John never fails to deliver his outstanding backing vocals and Anthony can use his voice in so many different ways to give each song a different effect. As usual the relationship between the vocals and the actual music is brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite RHCP album. In fact it is my favorite album ever. The most impressive songs from the album are 'By The Way', 'Don't Forget Me', 'Zephyr Song', 'Can't Stop', 'Midnight', 'Throw Away Your Television', 'On Mercury', 'Minor Thing' and most of all 'Venice Queen'. I think 'Venice Queen' is the best song that has ever been written as I said before. I love everything about this album. No matter how many times I have this lost or stolen, I will always buy it again. // 10

By The Way Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 18, 2003

Overall Impression: It turns out Californication was only foreplay. With the accomplished, insanely melodic By the Way, the Red Hot Chili Peppers dive headfirst into the pop realm that their 1999 single "Scar Tissue" hinted at. They swim around in the same inviting Southern California waters that inspired the Beach Boys, and discover that the incandescent hook can say as much as, if not more than, the testosterone-driven backbeat. A near-perfect balance of gutter grime and high-art aspiration, the Rick Rubin-produced By the Way continues the Peppers' slow-motion makeover. The band pioneered the funk-rock-rap hybrid thing in the Eighties, and then, beginning with BloodSugarSexMagik and its single "Under the Bridge" in 1991, began moving away from the genre's stultifying repetitions. Slyly, without doing anything drastic to alienate their core audience, the Peppers have shed their early devices -- the jerky raps, the faux-P-Funk rhythms - that were once innovative but quickly became the stock tools of every rap-metal hybrid in the land. Along the way, the Peppers' songs got more intricate, acquiring string riffs and heroic guitar counterlines, and pretty soon this band of loutish love thugs became the alt-rock Aerosmith (minus the screeching-and-beseeching power ballads), creators of music that could be at once credible and commercial. The transition has been so gradual that those who were on the scene in the rowdy Eighties followed right along and stayed as the band made its lunge toward art. On By the Way, these reformed groove savants head out on an even more radical pursuit, chasing that elusive moment of giddy, unspeakable bliss most often found in the work of Brian Wilson and the Beatles. They don't only want to reference that kind of writing, though -- they work to take the songs there. Singer Anthony Kiedis' utopian love themes and hot-oil sex scenes have been raised to a Pet Sounds level of refinement. The hooks, most from the pen of guitarist and budding auteur John Frusciante, are sweet but never syrupy. The Peppers have never been this consistent: Even the seemingly mindless songs come with consciousness-expanding bridges instead of just salacious vamps, and they toss out sprawling existential questions ("Is it safe inside your head?") as often as they strive for tidy answers. By the Way would be notable just for its parade of relentlessly catchy melodies: "This Is the Place," "Midnight" and the karmic allegory "Universally Speaking" are three of maybe eight tracks persuasive enough to own the radio this summer. Several others venture down unusual alleyways -- the suitelike "Venice Queen," the Latin gallop "Cabron," which advocates peace in a gang-run neighborhood -- and two or three, if omitted, wouldn't be missed. But here is where the band's years spent perfecting the deep-funk groove have paid off: Even the few obligatory mawkish ballads are delivered as though they were urgent bulletins from some metaphysical front line, with an intensity rarely heard on multitracked recordings. Anyone can build a song around a simple command such as "Throw Away Your Television"; the Chili Peppers take that idea, lash it to a romping beat that recalls the Ellington orchestra's 1930s-vintage jungle jumps, and turn it into something positively galvanizing, the seed of a get-off-the-couch revolution. Similarly unexpected references turn up throughout By the Way -- Kiedis stretches his voice into some Beatlesque psychedelia on "Universally Speaking" and contributes to a Beach Boys chorale on "The Zephyr Song," which is as close as this band has come to conjuring pure California sunshine. And even the more "typical" Chili Pepper rumbles -- such as "Midnight," which finds Kiedis urging, "Mix it up until there are no pedigrees" -- are not exactly boilerplate retreads. They're smart extensions of the identifiable brand, examples of how to expand an already distinctive sound and evolve, organically, without going too far. It's one thing to mix things up until the pedigrees are obliterated. It's another to do what the Chili Peppers have done: Gather disconnected sounds and ideas from all over the map into something that's cohesive and bold, and, despite its mongrel origins, couldn't come from anyone else. // 10

By The Way Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 18, 2003

Sound: Their eighth studio album finds the Chili's exploring their more melodic, harmonic side, like Californication, but without losing their gritty funky side of BloodSugarSexMagik. Fans of the gentle side, and the fierce side to the Chili Peppers will love this album. The title tracks melodic intro quickly turns into a funky bass riff and lyrics are barked by Kiedis. The more melodic, soft songs like Dosed and The Zephyr Song mix in well with the old school Chili Peppers style on Don't Forget Me and Can't Stop. There is also some Spanish Guitar on Cabron. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are, as always brilliant and sung by Kiedis with a passion that makes you want to listen. // 10

Overall Impression: Another brilliant album from one of the worlds truley great bands. // 10

By The Way Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 21, 2003

Sound: The album takes the more melodic, softer side of the band, (as first seen on 'Californication') even further. This album pretty much leaves behind the rougher, heavier, funk-metal sounds from 'Mothers Milk' and 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik'. Other than in the title track 'By the Way' and perhaps the bass driven 'Throw away your television', there is little in terms of funk-metal. However, I must insist this does not make it a bad album whatsoever. There are not really any bad songs on this CD, although if you are a fan of rap or mainly listen to death metal, this cd is probably not for you. Notable songs include: 'By the Way', 'Don't forget me', 'Can't Stop', 'Minor thing' and 'Venice Queen'. There are plenty other good ones, however, those are my favourites. // 8

Overall Impression: After 18 years, several band line-ups and seven albums, the Red Hot Chili Peppers have released their latest effort, entitled 'By the Way'. 'By the Way' is the follow up to the highly successful 'Californication'. 'Californication' sold over 14 million copies, was named album of the year at the 1999 grammies, and is undoubtedly a hard act to follow. But 'the peppers' have done well, with 'By the Way' debuting at number #1. All in all, this album basically has something for everyone, and I definitely recommend it. I give 'By the Way' 4 out of 5. // 8

By The Way Reviewed by: jimmy_67, on april 16, 2005

Sound: This album is a work of art prooving Chili Peppers are probably the best band in the world at the moment. From start to finish I was blown away by how good this album was. Flea and Frusciante go together perfectly and along with keidis's voice make this album a awesome follow-up to their previous albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics as always can be rather randum but sound great and can be quite amusing at times. Antony Keidis comes into his own and shows us what a good vocalist he is. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it is one of Chili Peppers best album but not as good as Californication. My personal favorites are By The Way, Can't Stop and Dosed, which are all great songs. If this album was stole I'd go straight down to the store and then put it straight back in my CD player. Anybody without this album is missing something great. // 10

By The Way Reviewed by: monkfish_bandan, on january 17, 2006

Sound: Well given previous albums, this was an absolutely perfect way to carry on the RHCP legacy. Flea is probably one of the most inovative bassists in the world at the moment, and John Frusciante is nothing short of a legend either. There is a mixture of styles on the album as well, to suit everybody. Tracks such as 'By The Way', 'Throw Away Your Television', 'Minor Thing' and 'Can't Stop' appeal to the hardcore Chili fans, whereas tracks like 'Universally Speaking' and 'Cabron' along with the genius collaboration in 'On Mercury' will blow just about anyone away. And they've also ditched the long intros. That could be a good or a bad thing depending on your views of previous albums. // 10

Lyrics: Yes, sometimes the lyrics can be a little random and maybe even completely confusing at some points, but when you listen to it even just once the words will stick in your head forever. The lyrics are just so well written that unless you are reading the lyrics off a piece of paper you will be left with the feeling that the song changes meaning. And once you know what the words are, you can get the pleasure of knowing something your mate doesn't (although you could look rather stupid with some songs). And listen to the lyrics in 'Minor Thing'. Absolutely awesome. And Kiedis' voice. Amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: You can't compare the Red Hot Chili Peppers to any other band on the planet, they are just in a league of their own. Most impressive songs? Well, 'Venice Queen' will leave you amazed and bewildered, and 'Can't Stop' will want you coming back for more. Absolute genius. Get it now. // 10

By The Way Reviewed by: mewert, on march 11, 2006

Sound: The Chili's By The Way album as fantastic sound quality the whole way throughout the CD. This album displays the mellow, mature side of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and it is probably their second best album to date behind Blood Sugar Sex Magik. It follows the chilis mellow starting point when 'Under The Bridge' was released, and it couldn't get much better than this. The fantastic sound is best displayed on songs such as 'This Is The Place' and 'Dosed'. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are probably one of the best things about this album, because though alot of the lyrics dont make sense they seem to bind together a song in a bizarre way. My favourite lyrics on the album would have to be the lyrics for 'Can't Stop', because they seem to have come from all different places and still seem to match with each other. The singer Anthony Kiedis sings with no trouble at all on this album, and it is his best singing to date, nailing every note in every song. // 9

Overall Impression: This album hardly compares with any other band, because it has such a distinct chilis sound to it. When listening to any of the songs from this album you know straight away that its the chilis, unlike on some of their other albums like 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' which has so many different styles of music on it. The best songs on this album in my opinion would have to be 'Dosed, 'Tear' and 'Can't Stop', the title track 'By The Way' is also a very impressive song. Overall I wouldnt leave one song off the album if I was to edit it in any way because they all nail a distinct spot for themeselves on the album. The only bad thing about this album is probably the same tune used in different songs as well as the same lyrics but thats hardly a skid mark in the brilliant album for if it was stolen, I'd without hesitation go right to my nearest CD store and buy it again. // 10

By The Way Reviewed by: flurgon, on april 08, 2006

Sound: This is a good album which features a variety of different types of Red Hot Chili Peppers music scaling from Throw Away Your Television to Can't Stop. There is no story to this album as far as I can tell but I still think it is RHCP's best album yet. As I said this album has a range of different styles going from softer tracks to hard rock // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are okay and I think the singer has excellent skill. He can sing softly, deeply, fastly or slowly and it is always fits in with the unbelievable riffs or licks that Red Hot Chili Peppers musicians make. // 9

Overall Impression: I dont think this album really compares to any other because RHCP have such a unique sound and the singer has a very distinctive voice. My favouritwe songs on the album are Cant Stop and By The Way. I love these 2 songs so much I would buy the album just for that. I hate that there are 2 or 3 songs that are god awful, you make your own descision! // 9

By The Way Reviewed by: 360ollie, on may 23, 2006

Sound: Red Hot Chili Peppers are a funky rock band who have realised countless great songs and it definately shows on this album. With tracks like By The Way, Can't Stop and The Zephyr Song. If you ever watch their videos you can see the effort and thought that goes into them. They are very different and unique they are in different outfits and the videos are about alomst anything. A memorable video is By The Way, when the lead singer gets kidnapped by a daredevil taxi driver and eventually jumps out of the window into his bands car. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simple but very funny. The lead singer has some skills with his voice eg he can sing high and deep he can make funny sounds (like in around the world). The lyrics go really well with the music. They have some fast songs like Can't Stop and they have some slower songs like The Zephyr Song. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to their other albums this is my favourite, as it has loads of great songs on and has a great varitey of songs e.g. slow and fast. The best songs are definately By The Way, Can't Stop, Zephyr Song and Universally Speaking. I would definately recommend this album to you, I can guarentee you won't be dissapointed. If it was lost or stolen I would definately buy it again even though I have all the songs on my iPod. // 10

By The Way Reviewed by: jerseyboy, on june 19, 2006

Sound: I really like most of the songs on this album. Cabron, Tear, and Warm tape aren't that good though. I always skip them. They sound like a whole differnt type of music, which isn't good. However, the rest of the songs, such as This Is The Place and Can't Stop boost the score back up. Flea is awesome! I wish my bass player could play like that. // 7

Lyrics: I really like the way Anthony sings. It sounds so cool. However, sometimes he is a little hard to understand. And the lyrics, though sometimes sound confusing, have messages in them. I've heard that Scar Tissue (Californication), is about one of the members getting over a drug addiction (I could be wrong). // 8

Overall Impression: I give this band a 8 out of 10. So far, I haven't met anyone who hasn't heard of them, even if they don't like them. They are really popular, and boosted their popularity with their release of their new album (stadium arcadium). The only major thing I hate is that their songs are hard to play on a guitar. If I lost it I would definately buy it again. // 8

By The Way Reviewed by: Thy Brad, on april 11, 2007

Sound: Pretty much the black sheep of their career. Or perhaps the ugly duckling would be a better metaphor? From what I have seen, over the last five years since its release (though it seems like only yesterday), even some of the very harshest critics have come around. This album is spectacular in its beauty, curbing the random sexploits of earlier years to produce a mature, uplifting work of musical art. If the earlier albums were dominated by Flea, then this is undoubtedly the fruit of John's labours. Every melody falls wonderfully into place, and every song has so much more to it than first meets the ear. And when Flea is unleashed, my God, it is stupendous. There are only truly three occasions where he is truly free to bring to the fore the pounding bass we know and love, but he makes the most of them, driving By The Way, Can't Stop and Throw Away Your Television deep into your subconscious, from whence they'll never leave. Similarly, Chad is left to provide a foundation for John's melodies. Between them, however, he and Flea are probably the best rhythm section in rock today, and they hold the entire album together; a good thing, as, had John been left entirely to his own devices, well, I'm sure you've heard his solo projects. // 10

Lyrics: Welcome to the forefront, Anthony Kiedis. Sir Psycho Sexy, Tony Flow, whatever he was before, he grows up with this album. His voice has never sounded better, nor his lyrics more clever. He strikes the perfect blend between trippy stoner babble, wit, and just a touch of soul. Like John, Anthony has never been better than he is with this one. // 10

Overall Impression: For me, this is the Chili's magnum opus. Though some of their earlier efforts are undoubtedly more fun for bouncing around and moshing, this has a little something extra. It has the funky classics, it has the soulful ballads, and it even manages to throw in a few top class pop songs. For me, they've never sounded better than this. It is, for my money, the finest album ever recorded, and might well remain that way for many years yet. All hail the Chilis. // 10

By The Way Reviewed by: Harmonystrat, on july 09, 2007

Sound: By the Way is a big departure from the bands other albums "Californication," "BSSM". But still presents a very pleasing record. Songs are more mellowed out and feature some of anthonys best vocals to date. But there was a lot of pressure between flea and john during the creation of the record with flea nearly quitting after it's completion. The red hots explore a poppier side of themselves on this record with songs like "Cabron" and "On Mercury." Even featuring piano and trumpet on "Tear". // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were very strong on this album with songs like "I Could Die For You", "Dosed", and "Venice Queen". Some of the chilis more nonsense rhyming appears on "can't stop and "by the way". One part of Can't Stop anthony sings "Mop top are happy when they feed you" which I don't know if anyones figured out. I think it's just random lyrics in a rhyme scheam. Anthony's skills have improved in his vocals but some people might find it a throw off if they like old albums like The Uplift Mofo Party. // 8

Overall Impression: I believe this album can stand up to "one hot minute" and the pre-john albums. But falls short of "Californication" and "BSSM". The most impressive songs are "Can't Stop," "By The Way," "The Zephyr Song" "Minor Thing" and "Tear". I just liked it because it could keep me intrested enough to listen to the whole album. But sometimes it was funky enough. I would buy it again the minute it came up missing. // 8

By The Way Reviewed by: Blocpartyrocks, on march 19, 2010

Sound: The album opens with the stunning single By The Way setting the mood for the album itself. This vibrance that we feel in By The Way continues throughout the album. Josh Klinghoffer brings the real soul to this album with hypnotic songs on the guitar such as dosed. But this is further added to by Anthony's voice. His sound is incredible, the tone of his singing is perfect. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have such a unique sound, and this is conveyed perfectly in this album, songs ranging from the quiet likes of Dosed to the more upbeat songs such as Minor thing. // 9

Lyrics: The Red Hot Chili Peppers have a great skill when it comes to their lyrics, they can produce lyrics that touch you and that are easy to relate to. But unfortunately this is not conveyed in the album By The Way. I think that the lyrics are the only fault I can find in the album, their sound and music are perfect. But their lyrics feel like they clash, almost rushed when created. The singer has an incredible skill in his singing, but even through this it is unfortunate that some of the lyrics do not go with his voice in some of the songs. I especailly feel that the lyrics in Throw Away Your Television let the album down, they are very repetitive. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is a shining album, probably the best that the Red Hot Chili's ever created. Their unique sound is perfectly conveyed in the album, although slightly let down by some of the lyrics. There is so much emotion and passion that drives through this album, songs like I Could Die For You really show the world what this incredible band can produce. There are many albums which are hard to listen to right through, but this is not the case with this ablum. This album could be listened to over and over, there is so much variation in the album between each track. Every track is so individual and so unlike the next one, and this is why I love them, there is a song for whatever mood your in all in just one album. This album sets the bar at an extremely high level for albums everywhere. // 9

By The Way Reviewed by: Ashland112, on july 28, 2010

Sound: The Red Hot Chili Peppers began in chaos. A mish-mash of chaotic slap bass, funk guitar, pounding drums and wailing rap vocals. Over time though with the introduction of John Frusciante as guitarist and Chad Smith on drums the band has evolved into a more mature, melodic sound. Along with Anthony Keidis' continual vocal training the band has emerged with an album that is both beautiful and moving. The band takes a more elegant approach to songwriting this time around and as a result their sound has evolved into melody focused songs over intensely rhythm orientated songs. John Frusciante expands upon the type of guitar playing that was found on their mega-hit Under The Bridge from Blood Sugar Sex Magik and the lesser known song Savior from Californication. John Frusciante plays the largest role in the direction the band took in creating this album. His Hendrix influences have become even more prevalent and he writes a core amount of the songs found on By The Way, including most of the guitar progressions, bass lines and keyboards. This led to the dramatic change away from their signature rap-funk style that had preceded them. Many critics hailed By The Way as a masterpiece with Kimberly Mack stating "his warm, understated guitar work and his doo-wop style vocal harmonies are king this time around." Unfortunately not all critics shared the same enthusiasm with Piero Scaruffi calling the album "Too mainstream" and Blender magazine dubbing it "Californication 2". // 10

Lyrics: Anthony Keidis having had more formal vocal training at that point took the opportunity to showcase his ever evolving singing capabilities. what he illustrates is a softer, more gentle side of his vocals that fit well into the songs of By The Way while still retaining the energy and passion of previous successes. His lyrics delve deeper into self-reflection and we find that Anthony Keidis has quite a bit to share with the world. Songs like Venice Queen dig deep into this reviewers heart leaving one breathless and near tears at the sheer emotional intensity of such a song. Keidis having only been sober for a short time at the composition of this record found himself writing about narcotics, their harmful against his own body and soul and even references his inability to attend former RHCP guitarist Hillel Slovak's funeral due to his increasingly demanding drug addiction. Every experience, foul or success led to the culmination of those experiences which produced By The Way. With as interesting a life as Anthony Keidis has lead he found himself with no shortage of inspiring material. // 9

Overall Impression: At first listen I was disappointed to think that the Red Hot Chili Peppers had lost their passion, their fire, their creative intensity that had made them such a force to be reckoned with. But upon a second and third listen one begins to notice every little detail, the textured and layered guitars, the beautiful progressions, and poignant lyrical content. You begin to feel an intimacy with these four, a bond, insight into the shattered cores of these men. What they offer is a gaze into the lives of each member, painting a picture of trauma, addiction, and ultimately redemption. Each member speaks as loud as the lyrics in the tastefully elegant musicianship found on this record and despite the drastic change in sound one will still find something to appreciate whether they enjoy this record or not. Because even if you miss the old Chili Peppers, with Hillel and Irons, telling the tale of Yertle The Turtle, there's no denying that this album is something beautiful. With that in mind I dare you to listen and not be changed in some way. Even if for a moment you become lost in the trance of things, they have still succeeded; that very trance is what every musician dreams of. That is what makes not only this album phenomenal but The Red Hot Chili Peppers as a whole truly astounding. // 10

Comments