Californication review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jun 8, 1999
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication

I love the sound on this album. The return of John Frusciante was probably the best thing the Chilis have ever done. Flea is his normal excellently great self, and Chad just does some great drum lines. I also enjoy Anthony's lyrics, they always seem to be diffrent.

I really like Anthony's work on this or any other album, but this is my favorite. This is the album, in my opinion, where the Chilis found how well they could perform mellower songs, and Kiedis performs this perfectly. Excellent job. The lyrical talent is best shown on Californication, Scar Tissue, and Around The World (in my opinion). The song writing is also better than most off their older stuff, most being well thought and written.

This is my absolute favorite album in my collection. I like this album so much I painted my room the album cover. Here's a breakdown, song for song: 01. Around The World - my favorite track on the cd. It's fast at the begining and funky in the verse and chorus. Flea shines here. The song is kind of a reversed By The Way. 02. Paralallel Universe - at first I wasn't too found of this song but it eventually grew on me. A bit harder than the rest of the album. 03. Scar Tissue - one of the singles off the album, and with good reason. The mellow slide guitar licks and Anthony's vocals are what really stand out here. 04. Otherside - a bass driven mellow chill out song. Not much guitar wise, but a great listen nonetheless. Chad also should have a notable mention here. 05. Get On Top - another romp. This song is wah and bass driven, and is one of my favorite songs on the album. Nice work guys. 06. Californication - the title track is a very well thought out and written piece of work. Anthony does his best work on the album here. A very cool song. 07. Easily - another harder song. Nothing very memorable compared to the other songs on the album, but if a another band had written it would have been a single. Cool. 08. Porcelain - maybe I just don't understand this song, but maybe you will. My least favorite on the album. 09. Emit Remmus - another mellow/hard song. A good one, but not the best. 10. I Like Dirt - pure funk, period. 11. This Velvet Glove - I really like the acoustic riff on this song. 12. Savior - it's kina freaky at first, but you get used to it after awhile. 13. Purple Stain - a fun chant song. At the end of the song is a cool drum solo I really like. Worth checking out. Great work Chad. 14. Right On Time - rap rock then mellow. They seem to like the fast, slow, fast, slow approach. The fastest song on the cd. Road Trippin': An acoustic ballad thing. Good, but overshadowed by the rest. Well, this is the best cd I own and that says a lot (to me anyways). A very awesome cd. You should go purchase this album as soon as you can. This is a Grammy award winning perfomance nobody should miss. Happy rocking.