Californication review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jun 8, 1999
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication

To be honest, at the time I had gotten this CD from my oldest brother, I almost didn't want to listen to it. The whole concept behind the RHCP's sound and style didn't appeal to me at all. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try, so I popped it in the CD player, and I'll never be the same again. I haven't heard any other RHCP albums, but this one is definitely great. When I heard the beginning of the opening song, "Around The World," I was really close to shutting it off, but you really get into the song and I realized that RCHP's style wasn't just based on stupid grungy hardcore stuff, it was serious music. Flea is a really great bassist, and although I don't play bass, this album almost makes me want to. The way the bass flows with the guitar, it's not like a guitar-rules-all type of feel, everybody is just as important and just as loud. The album was produced very well, and although I look for good music rather than good production value, the production was pretty nice. But, then again, the music is great too.

I'm having a little trouble here while examining the lyrics. They are very well-written, most (if not all) of the time there are the right amount of syllables and it rhymes, but conceptually a lot of the songs don't make sense. I'd much rather have a song with so-so lyrics that really means a lot than a song with flowing lyrics that makes no sense. That's just the kind of person I am. Overall, though, the lyrics aren't really all that bad, so I guess I shouldn't critique them so much.

'Californication' is a very nice album to add to your collection if you don't already have it. Like I said earlier, I'm not into their style of music, but they deserve more credit than they have gotten over the years, because they are really brilliant musicians. It's one of those albums that you can keep coming back to time after time and it's still good, and that I can say about very few albums.