Californication review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jun 8, 1999
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication

The music, as a whole, is very well done. Ranging from the funky, love song "Around The World" to the very intense "Parallel Universe", This album shows the Chili Peppers at their peak of creativity. This album is a more emotional album, due to the near death of lead guitarist John Frusciante' (see lyrics to "Otherside"). The Peppers seem to find a much deeper, melodic sound with songs like "Scar Tissue", and "Porcelain", But they don't leave their funk roots with songs like, "I Like Dirt" and "Get On Top". Overall the sound is very well rounded.

The lyrics in this album are outstanding! If you write poetry, or have even tried, you can appreciate songs like "Otherside" and "Scar Tissue". While Otherside is Talking about Drug Addiction ("I Yell and tell it that's it's not my friend, I tear it down, I tear it down, But then it's born Again.") Scar Tissue talks about all the problems that seem to be going on. From the Dave Navvaro situation ("Scar tissue that I wish you saw, Sarcastic, Mr. Know it all".) To the fights that were rising in and out of the band. ("Soft spoken with a broken jaw, Step outside but not to brawl"). While the lyrics are so great the music is just as well written. Anthony, as you may or may not know, has fought his drug addictions scince he was 14, and even though he has delt with drugs, He still comes in with outstanding vocals (not to mention John Frusciante's wonderfully arranged buckup vocals. Like in Scar Tissue).

This album, like every album they have ever put out, needs to be looked at as an individual peice of work. While not having the funk-rock that Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and Mothers Milk seemed to hold. And didn't have the hard-core funk Uplift Party Mofo Plan, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Freakey Styley had. This album gives a much different sound, that was first being born with Breaking the Girl, From Blood Sugar Sex Magik. The stand-out tracks would have to be "Scar Tissue", "Otherside", "Californiacation", "Purple Stain", and "Get On Top". This album has so much energy in it, and very different from their previous work, but old Chili Pepper Fans May feel left in the dust. If this record were stolen, or even lost, I would most definatly Buy this record again.

axe_man
    tht review by tht unregistered person is a tad bias lol everything gets a 10 lmao
    Chosenfro68
    con job wrote: best thing since they got off the drugs.....forgive me but i think thats what made their music. wait anthony was back on drugs durin this album...
    No actually he was clean. He did get on drugs after they toured, but not during the writing of the album.