Californication review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jun 8, 1999
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication

The sound is great in this album, and the range and tone change dramatically from one song to the next, after the album explodes with the first track "Around The World", it keeps the pace up with "Parallel Universe", but then slows down with "Scar Tissue". Some songs show the classic funk, rap, rock styling of the Chili Peppers, such as "Get On Top", and "I Like Dirt", and their softer side with songs like "Otherside". Being the first album with John Frusciante since Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik it shows that he is the perfect guitarist for the Peppers, and he is at the top of his game with this one, showing of firing solos, and Flea and Chad Smith showing off some great work also, with Flea's slap bass technique gives a great rhythm and vibe to the album.

Before this album Anthony Kiedis had shown some lyrical skills with songs like "Under The Bridge" and "I Could Have Lied" but they were shown in full with this album, songs like "Scar Tissue" and the title track show that Kiedis can be deep and very strong with the words, and also show off how his voice has matured and improved. But, alongside the depth of this album, there is still the very fun side of the songs, like "Purple Stain" and "Around The World". His singing is amazing in this album, showing his rapping skills are still intact, and his actual singing voice is also very good.

With every member of the band being at the top of their game, it is very well put together and composed. What I think is one of the factors in the album being so great is that the band interacts with each other so well, and in songs like, "Scar Tissue" the instrument match Anthony Kiedis's emotion so well. It's a very hard choice but if I had to choose the best songs on the album I would choose, "Around The World", "Parallel Universe", "Scar Tissue", "Otherside", "Californication", "Purple Stain", and "Road Trippin'", but every song is great. If this album were stolen or lost I would by it again. Along with Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik, and By The Way, this might be the best album by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

sixstrings91
    Californication is a must have. The Chili Peppers really invented a sort of softer more mellow sound with songs like Scar Tissue and Otherside. They also managed to bring in their older funk- metal style with songs like Around The World, and Get On Top. The album is brilliant.
    justinR951
    i can't complain about any of their cds... they fit the right place at the right time... they got every type of music- funk, rap, rock, softer calmer music... because of this they got a spot on my top 8 bands
    drtudor
    this velvet glove is awesome and the bass line in right on time is sooooo good! the only bad song on this album is porcelain
    Ugene
    best thing since they got off the drugs.....forgive me but i think thats what made their music. wait anthony was back on drugs durin this album...
    I really like ur tastes man. I dont like this album, but u seem to like the same stuff. He should take more drugs, and John should go slit his wrists. CALIFORNICATION SUCKS, except for Scar Tissue, Velvet Glove, Saviour and Purple Stain, so Suck my balls