Californication review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jun 8, 1999
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication

For a diehard Chili Pepper fan like myself, every sound in this album shows the true essence of the band. It is the rebirth of the peppers after the return of John Frusciante. Their funky signature style transforms into more elaborate musical compositions. Right of the back, Around The World mixes a funky bass line in the verse with a melodic guitar chorus, setting the tone for the rest of the album. Melodic masterpieces follow such as Scar Tissue and Californication. The band shows their funky roots with songs like Get On Top and I like Dirt. They go into a whole new dimension with songs like Parallel Universe, Otherside, Easily and Emit Remmus, all with an explosive alternative sound. And finally tracks like This Velvet Glove and Road Trippin seal the deluxe package with a very soulful sound. Overall the band comes with a less agressive yet powerful and sentimental sound, full of innovations and very creative.

Its clear that Anthony Kiedis' lyrics are not all about drugs and sex anymore. Although the lyrics are complicated, they have a much deeper meaning. AK's singing skill improves dramatically, blending in very well with the music. Anthony's voice has a lot of presence and it shows his importance musically for all the songs.

I love everything about this album. Its sound evokes so many feelings and sensations that are undescribable. If you love music you will love this album. The return of John Fruscinate is in my opinion the most important aspect of the albums success. The chemistry there is between John, Flea, Anthony and Chad is evident. Tracks 1-7 are my favorites but every time I listen to the album I never skip a song. If the album were solen/lost I would get it again, no doubt.

BGSM
    Gee-Tar1 wrote: Best Chili album tied with BSSM.
    I'm such a loser, I thought you were talking about me, so I looked around for my name somewhere on the page for a second - then I realised what you were talking about. This is a great album by the way, and I agree with Gee-Tar1.
    TOMMYB22
    RHCP are the best as a group which was evident in one hot minute which is ok but doesnt really mesh