Californication review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jun 8, 1999
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication

The sound of Californication, if I had to use one word only, is "sad". This album has a lot of emotion in it, as a lot of the songs have a "sad" feeling to it, clean guitar sections, simple drum beats, and vocals from Anthony Kiedis that really give you a sense of sadness and sorrow. That's not the entire album, as there's small bursts of upbeat stuff, common of the Chili's style. The album, at least to me, is nearly perfect in every sense. I honestly cannot bash one song on the album, which is a rarity in all of music. It's simply amazing.

I'm not really a big fan of Kiedis's vocals, in fact I prefer guitarist John Frusciante's vocals from his solo stuff more (a whole other topic, but I digress). However, on this album I actually tolerate it. In fact, his vocals are pretty good on this album. Not the jerky, funk-sounding vocals in a lot of the Chili's work, he seems to "sing" more on this album. The lyrics themselves are solid, not the most complex, hard-hitting stuff, but good enough to not drag down any of the songs by any means.

Californication is a musical feat, easily their best album in my opinion. This album also sits comfortably in my top-10 favorites of all time. This album is near perfect, without any "shit" songs that most albums are riddled with among a couple solid tracks. I love the sense of lonesomeness and sadness, mixed with small sections of upbeat funk. The guitar work is spectacular. I really don't hate anything about it to tell you the truth. If I lost this album completely, I'd definitely pick it up. This album is a must-have for anyone. Now go buy a copy for yourself as well as everyone in your immediate family and circle of friends.

HotTamalies743
    This is the chili's best album everysong on it is good except for porelien so everyone who disagrees is gay