Californication review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jun 8, 1999
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication

Everything about this album is something you can expect from such as great band as RHCP. Chad, Flea, John, and Anthony each individually are masters of their professions and it shines in this album. Music is very mellow and soulful while still maintaing that upbeat high on life feeling. Each song on this album has in own feel to it. Most songs having a very mellow druggy feel to them, yet some very upbeat. In my opinion it sounds very nice. The kinda album you can listen to in the dark and chill, and yet staying that CD you pop in the car while cruising on a nice sunny day just enjoying life. This album marked the return of John Frusciante on guitar and backup vocals since his departure from the band mid-tour in 1992. John fell into heavy heroin and cocaine use. After being talked into admitting himself into rehab 1998, John got clean and rejoined the same year. This is album is the product of the true chili peppers once again.

The lyrics of a way of holding a lot of meaning and remain vague. Some songs don't really have and certain meaning but the lyrics can apply to a wide scope of people and are very catchy. Anyone you know atleast knows one line to a chili peppers song. Just generally catch writing, and the music molds with it perfectly. Every word has a feeling, and every line has its own mood. Anthony Kiedis vocals have always been unique and very interesting. In this album his singing really shys more away from the punkish voice of his past. Songs such as Californication, Savior, Porcelain, and This Velvet Glove show some of the real power and feeling Anthony can put behind his voice and really just makes your love it.

Californication is one of the better albums in my collection and will always hold its own peice of space. Its really a great work of art and shows everything that RHCP is in one single album. Breakdown: 01. Around The World: Flea really works his bass in this song, nice and fast paced and funkyness in the verses. Great first track for an album. 02. Parallel Universe: great song, John really makes some of my hair stand up at times in this one. Great use of feedback in his solo/outro. 03. Scar Tissue: nearly everyone has heard this song, great single. Definitely the more mellow druggy side of RHCP. 04. Otherside: Flea play nice mellow bass, Anything shines in this one along with chad. Not much for john hear but some little mellodies, but a great song overall. 05. Get On Top: propably my least favorite song on the album. Great playing all around, just not very catchy and lyrics kinda cliche in my opinion. 06. Californication: album title track, and one of the greater songs on the album. Very well written piece both musically and lyrically. Lyrics give a lot of interpretation to meaning. Anthony shines better work here. 07. Easily: also another great song, style is a little different hear but the chili's make it work well. Different sound for them in my opinion. 08. Porcelain: a very mellow weird song. One of my least favorites but it has its place. Different side of the chili's here. 09. Emit Remmus: one of the harder songs on the album, good song overall. John notable here. 10. I Like Dirt: back to their roots here with the funk. Nice funk song. John Shines here with his great lead work. 11. This Velvet Glove: very catchy bass and guitar riffs. Overall one of my favorites on the album. 12. Savior: great song. Favorite of the album, really just great guitar work and great signing by Anthony. Great feel to it. 13. Purple Stain: another song focusing more on there roots. Some good catch guitar and bass riffs in here. Also chad has a nice little drum solo at the end. 14. Right On Time: starts out very punkyfunkish. Very fast and hard, then slow and mellow song. 15. Road Trippin: amazing acoustic song. Great lyrics and singing and great guitar melody. One of my favorites. Overall RHCP's best album up to this point. They definitely do some experiementing in this one and you can see the great direction its heading in. I would replace this album in a heartbeat if ever lost or stolen. Definitly recommend picking up this album for a listen on a nice day.