Californication Review

9.2
 5.1
 3,038
Californication Reviewed by: Phatty, on august 31, 2004

Sound: I enjoy if not all, most of the Red Hot Chili Pepper's work. It can be a mixture of rock and funk creating the perfect sound. The sound quality of the album is loud, clear and effective. Each song has its own defying sound. Overall the sound of the album is good. // 8

Lyrics: There are many debates about what the lyrics to the single Californication are about. But no matter what people think they are about, they remain outstanding lyrics. The lyrics are sung clearly, for many to pick up so they are able to sing along with their favourites. Anthony Kiedis sings the songs in the perfect tone, finishing the piece with the outstanding music played by Flea, John and Chad. // 8

Overall Impression: It has been voted as the best Red Hot Chili Pepper album. I disagree with this, but believe it is a great album. One of the well-known songs from Californication (apart from the single Californication) is Scar Tissue. It's simple guitar solos and drum beat make it enjoyable for many. Around The World is also liked by most, but mainly by the bassists in this world. The bass line is both simple to start with and amazing, eventually getting quicker and more trickier. Also another popular song on the album is Otherside. This slow and simple song is liked by many for its simple riff and solo, also being easy to sing along to. There is nothing I hate about this song, but there is much to love about it. There is a good variety of songs, all unique and great tunes. If I did lose it I would have to buy it again, as it is an amazing album which is loved by millions. I would recommend any good music fan to buy this album. // 8

Californication Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on may 07, 2005

Sound: To be honest, at the time I had gotten this CD from my oldest brother, I almost didn't want to listen to it. The whole concept behind the RHCP's sound and style didn't appeal to me at all. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try, so I popped it in the CD player, and I'll never be the same again. I haven't heard any other RHCP albums, but this one is definitely great. When I heard the beginning of the opening song, "Around The World," I was really close to shutting it off, but you really get into the song and I realized that RCHP's style wasn't just based on stupid grungy hardcore stuff, it was serious music. Flea is a really great bassist, and although I don't play bass, this album almost makes me want to. The way the bass flows with the guitar, it's not like a guitar-rules-all type of feel, everybody is just as important and just as loud. The album was produced very well, and although I look for good music rather than good production value, the production was pretty nice. But, then again, the music is great too. // 10

Lyrics: I'm having a little trouble here while examining the lyrics. They are very well-written, most (if not all) of the time there are the right amount of syllables and it rhymes, but conceptually a lot of the songs don't make sense. I'd much rather have a song with so-so lyrics that really means a lot than a song with flowing lyrics that makes no sense. That's just the kind of person I am. Overall, though, the lyrics aren't really all that bad, so I guess I shouldn't critique them so much. // 8

Overall Impression: 'Californication' is a very nice album to add to your collection if you don't already have it. Like I said earlier, I'm not into their style of music, but they deserve more credit than they have gotten over the years, because they are really brilliant musicians. It's one of those albums that you can keep coming back to time after time and it's still good, and that I can say about very few albums. // 8

Californication Reviewed by: Snuffles, on may 25, 2007

Sound: The Red Hot Chili Peppers are a great band with a nice soft/regular rock sound. It opens with Around The World, that is a great song. But for Scar Tissue, on the video he plays it witha broken guitar which is pretty cool. I'm not sure if he's actually playing it though, but it sounds great. Then there's obvioulsy Californication, probley the best song on their CD. RCHP has a great full sound considered the band went through so much crap dealing with drugs and death. // 8

Lyrics: These guys can sing amazingly! They have a cathchy tune and the lyrics match the guitars, drums and bass. Espically in Otherside. Also I Like Dirt and Easily have great lyrics. It takes a true musical genius to write such extrodinary masterpeices. RCHP are amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of the best CDs I own, I can listen to it over and over again. The best songs from Californication are Otherside, Parallel Universe, Scar Tissue, I Like Dirt and Easily. All the others are good too, but I think those ones stand out the most. I just don't like haw there are olny 15 songs, I wish there were around 20. RCHP is too good to have a 15 song album. Personally I think there are one of the greatest bands ever, that's just me though, buy it and find out for yourself! // 9

Californication Reviewed by: Butthead, on december 27, 2004

Sound: I love the sound on this album. The return of John Frusciante was probably the best thing the Chilis have ever done. Flea is his normal excellently great self, and Chad just does some great drum lines. I also enjoy Anthony's lyrics, they always seem to be diffrent. // 10

Lyrics: I really like Anthony's work on this or any other album, but this is my favorite. This is the album, in my opinion, where the Chilis found how well they could perform mellower songs, and Kiedis performs this perfectly. Excellent job. The lyrical talent is best shown on Californication, Scar Tissue, and Around The World (in my opinion). The song writing is also better than most off their older stuff, most being well thought and written. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my absolute favorite album in my collection. I like this album so much I painted my room the album cover. Here's a breakdown, song for song: 01. Around The World - my favorite track on the cd. It's fast at the begining and funky in the verse and chorus. Flea shines here. The song is kind of a reversed By The Way. 02. Paralallel Universe - at first I wasn't too found of this song but it eventually grew on me. A bit harder than the rest of the album. 03. Scar Tissue - one of the singles off the album, and with good reason. The mellow slide guitar licks and Anthony's vocals are what really stand out here. 04. Otherside - a bass driven mellow chill out song. Not much guitar wise, but a great listen nonetheless. Chad also should have a notable mention here. 05. Get On Top - another romp. This song is wah and bass driven, and is one of my favorite songs on the album. Nice work guys. 06. Californication - the title track is a very well thought out and written piece of work. Anthony does his best work on the album here. A very cool song. 07. Easily - another harder song. Nothing very memorable compared to the other songs on the album, but if a another band had written it would have been a single. Cool. 08. Porcelain - maybe I just don't understand this song, but maybe you will. My least favorite on the album. 09. Emit Remmus - another mellow/hard song. A good one, but not the best. 10. I Like Dirt - pure funk, period. 11. This Velvet Glove - I really like the acoustic riff on this song. 12. Savior - it's kina freaky at first, but you get used to it after awhile. 13. Purple Stain - a fun chant song. At the end of the song is a cool drum solo I really like. Worth checking out. Great work Chad. 14. Right On Time - rap rock then mellow. They seem to like the fast, slow, fast, slow approach. The fastest song on the cd. Road Trippin': An acoustic ballad thing. Good, but overshadowed by the rest. Well, this is the best cd I own and that says a lot (to me anyways). A very awesome cd. You should go purchase this album as soon as you can. This is a Grammy award winning perfomance nobody should miss. Happy rocking. // 10

Californication Reviewed by: PJamMan6, on january 23, 2006

Sound: This album has the most songs from any of the others on their greatest hits. That says it all, great songs, great band, all their songs great, especially Californication, Scar Tissue, Paralell Universe, Otherside, Around The World, Right On Time and Get On Top, just one hit after the other, beautiful guitaring from john and flea, chad rocking on the drums and anthony pumping the lyrics out like a machine. just listening to all the great riffs makes you want to do something crazy, but you still want to hear the music. And they don't just do quick songs that are very funny, Porcelian is a perfect example of this. Just what the Peppers needed to back up two wonderful albums. Great album! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, some are funny, some are deep and meaningful, some make no sense at all, some of them describe exactly how the listener feels 'Sicker than the rest there is no test that this is what you're craving' is a line from the title track. This sums up exactly how I feel when I listen to the lyrics, the riffs and anthony's voice ripping them out. Every song you want to hear what Anthony has to say, he always sets the perfect tone that sets up for a wondeful album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the third great album in a row from the Chilis after Hillel's death. But these songs are absolutely perfect, addictive and of course played 100% perfectly. The band has just flourished since then and all albums made by the peppers have been wonderful. With 6 or so songs on the greatest hits taken from this, this is the perfect album. A great combination of serious songs and the chilis just doing what they do best, having fun and letting rip of many great songs. // 10

Californication Reviewed by: METSOAD, on february 07, 2006

Sound: This album truly defines the sound of, in my opinion, the greatest band on earth. Not entierly guitar orientated like other bands but has each member being just as loud, just as glorious and just as brilliant as the others. John and Flea are possibly the greatest double act in the history of any kind of rock music. They have great communication. // 10

Lyrics: These are in 3 categories: Genius (Around The World), absolutly barnstorming (Parralell Universe) or completly insaine and make no sense what so ever (Get On Top) all of it brilliant and stunning. // 10

Overall Impression: This album holds the greatest song in the history of all time in "Parralell Universe." It is harder, edgier, and just plain better than any other song. It also possess something that no other songs on earth has. Complete unity. Other highlights include "Around The World," "Californication," "Scar Tissue" and "Get On Top." There is no poor song on this record. It screams with majesty as one of the great all time records. // 10

Californication Reviewed by: DVT, on february 05, 2007

Sound: The sound is great in this album, and the range and tone change dramatically from one song to the next, after the album explodes with the first track "Around The World", it keeps the pace up with "Parallel Universe", but then slows down with "Scar Tissue". Some songs show the classic funk, rap, rock styling of the Chili Peppers, such as "Get On Top", and "I Like Dirt", and their softer side with songs like "Otherside". Being the first album with John Frusciante since Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik it shows that he is the perfect guitarist for the Peppers, and he is at the top of his game with this one, showing of firing solos, and Flea and Chad Smith showing off some great work also, with Flea's slap bass technique gives a great rhythm and vibe to the album. // 10

Lyrics: Before this album Anthony Kiedis had shown some lyrical skills with songs like "Under The Bridge" and "I Could Have Lied" but they were shown in full with this album, songs like "Scar Tissue" and the title track show that Kiedis can be deep and very strong with the words, and also show off how his voice has matured and improved. But, alongside the depth of this album, there is still the very fun side of the songs, like "Purple Stain" and "Around The World". His singing is amazing in this album, showing his rapping skills are still intact, and his actual singing voice is also very good. // 9

Overall Impression: With every member of the band being at the top of their game, it is very well put together and composed. What I think is one of the factors in the album being so great is that the band interacts with each other so well, and in songs like, "Scar Tissue" the instrument match Anthony Kiedis's emotion so well. It's a very hard choice but if I had to choose the best songs on the album I would choose, "Around The World", "Parallel Universe", "Scar Tissue", "Otherside", "Californication", "Purple Stain", and "Road Trippin'", but every song is great. If this album were stolen or lost I would by it again. Along with Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik, and By The Way, this might be the best album by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. // 10

Californication Reviewed by: hellfire21, on april 30, 2007

Sound: "Dream of Californication..." That's what most fans thought after One Hot Minute was released. The sound that John Frusciante's guitar makes is amazing. And he returned from rehab to do this album. The minute a Red Hot Chili Peppers song goes on you Know it's them. This may be one of the best Red Hot Chili Peppers albums ever. If you don't own this album then go out and get it because it is great! // 9

Lyrics: Anthony Kiedis brings the Chili Peppsers together. Him and John on harmonies sound great together. The lyrics are quick and up beat for most songs like "Around the World" and "Right On Time". The other songs are more slower and show Kiedis's true ability. Songs like "Otherside" and "Californication". // 8

Overall Impression: This album easily compares to many other Chili Peppers albums. This is a great piece of work. The best songs on the album are definetly "Around the World", "Otherside", "Parallel Universe", and "Californication". The guitars sound great in each of these songs. Drums are quick and up beat. Lyrics are put together and go great with the music. Those are things to love about this album. So go get this album and "Dream of Californication..." // 9

Californication Reviewed by: funwithsharks, on june 26, 2009

Sound: As a veteran fan of the band, I was rather worried about how the sound would change on this album, considering the group's previous evolutions from rapped funk (>The Uplift Mofo Party Plan), to slight metal (Mother's Milk), slinky funk (BloodSugarSexMagik), acoustic (Blood Sugar Sex Magik), and then more recently, psychedelia (One Hot Minute). While the innovations weren't unwelcome, some of them fell flat. When I finally opened the CD case for this album, my anticipation rose to a fever pitch, especially considering that John Frusciante, having gone through rehab and finding a form of spirituality, was back as the guitarist and the band was now whole again. When I popped the disc in, I pressed "play" and held my breath... From the booming bass intro to "Around the World", I knew that there was definitely a good listen coming up. Lo and behold, as the album progressed, each new track brought about a new set of musical hunger that was sated by the album's end. With each "hunger pang" came a flood of new styles. Obviously, John's return brought something back to the band; Anthony's voice has improved and his delivery has indeed become more heartfelt, Flea reduced his slapping usage in favor of fingerstyle and pulloffs while retaining his signature funk-flavored bass lines, Chad became a more precise drummer, and finally John brought melodic palm muting, wah pedal-teased notes, and melancholy, yet profound guitar passages to the table. When the final track, "Road Trippin'", had ended, I realized that the Red Hot Chili Peppers had paved yet another musical passageway for generations to come. This album truely is a rare gem that still shines even in a bleak era of musical history. // 10

Lyrics: With his background in poetry, rather than prose, it is understandable that Anthony wrote several of the songs as either raps (Get On Top, Right On Time), playful passages (Purple Stain, I Like Dirt, Emit Remmus), or truely powerful, confessional poems (Californication, Porcelain, Scar Tissue, Savior). Additionally, the last track is a tribute to the late Hillel Slovak, one of the founding members of the group and the third Musketeer in the "bloodbrotherscomradescuz" clique that Anthony and Flea had in high school, and proves to be one the best pieces of music I've heard...ever! While Anthony has never been a great singer, it seems as though he had honed his vocal chops enough in order to hit a few high notes within the record. Actually, on second thought, due to a few of his performances, most notably on "Scar Tissue" and the title track, I would honestly regard Anthony as a good singer, with room for improvement. In the background, John's piercing, melodic falsetto improves nearly every song, a sign that he himself has developed a stronger voice compared to his "Niandra LaDes" period. While the singing is mostly pitch perfect, the lyrics fall flat on occasion, occurances which induced "hunger pangs" (see above for a quick reminder). // 8

Overall Impression: As I have amassed a collection of nearly all of the band's work, I feel that it is safe to say that Californication as a record demands a spot next to the superb BloodSugarSexMagik in terms of achievement. By creating one of the most compelling albums that the world will ever know, the Red Hot Chili Peppers have cemented themselves as true rock legends. Trust me, once the power of "Easily", "Scar Tissue", "Savior", and the rest of the album sink in, you will undeniably be the same as a listener. if you are a first time listener of the band, this is the record to start with. I've ranted long enough; get out there and get your copy today! // 9

Californication Reviewed by: beckett360, on september 01, 2009

Sound: This was the first Red Hot Chili Peppers album I have listened to. It is a great album. The sound of the album is great. All the individuality of the songs is outstanding. John Fruciante did not use a lot of distortion or pedals in many of the songs in Californication. Songs like Californiacation and Around the World John used a clean guitar. Flea's bass riffs were also outstanding and still are as great as the older stuff. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album were pretty good. They were well writen and it was obvious that Anthony Kiedis (the lead singer) took time to write the songs. Anthony will always be a great singer in my book. His singing style is so cool and diverse. There is no one like him. // 8

Overall Impression: This Red Hot Chili Peppers album is not like any I've listened to (Blood Sugar Sex Majik, Stadium Arcadium, Mother's Milk), and it is my favorite album by them so far. The most impressive songs from the album are Around the World, Flea's bass riffs and intros are amazing and get you hooked to the song, Californiacation, Anthony's lyrics are great and are very catchy, and Parallel Universe, the fast guitar and bass make it a pumped up song. I love how in all the songs flow and all the intruments go together, something that all bands cannot accomplish. I hate how the begginning of the album is the best because by the end it just gets out of control. I would definetly buy this album again if it is stolen or lost. I would totally reccomend this. // 8

Californication Reviewed by: Swayver, on june 09, 2010

Sound: Everything about this album is something you can expect from such as great band as RHCP. Chad, Flea, John, and Anthony each individually are masters of their professions and it shines in this album. Music is very mellow and soulful while still maintaing that upbeat high on life feeling. Each song on this album has in own feel to it. Most songs having a very mellow druggy feel to them, yet some very upbeat. In my opinion it sounds very nice. The kinda album you can listen to in the dark and chill, and yet staying that CD you pop in the car while cruising on a nice sunny day just enjoying life. This album marked the return of John Frusciante on guitar and backup vocals since his departure from the band mid-tour in 1992. John fell into heavy heroin and cocaine use. After being talked into admitting himself into rehab 1998, John got clean and rejoined the same year. This is album is the product of the true chili peppers once again. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of a way of holding a lot of meaning and remain vague. Some songs don't really have and certain meaning but the lyrics can apply to a wide scope of people and are very catchy. Anyone you know atleast knows one line to a chili peppers song. Just generally catch writing, and the music molds with it perfectly. Every word has a feeling, and every line has its own mood. Anthony Kiedis vocals have always been unique and very interesting. In this album his singing really shys more away from the punkish voice of his past. Songs such as Californication, Savior, Porcelain, and This Velvet Glove show some of the real power and feeling Anthony can put behind his voice and really just makes your love it. // 8

Overall Impression: Californication is one of the better albums in my collection and will always hold its own peice of space. Its really a great work of art and shows everything that RHCP is in one single album. Breakdown: 01. Around The World: Flea really works his bass in this song, nice and fast paced and funkyness in the verses. Great first track for an album. 02. Parallel Universe: great song, John really makes some of my hair stand up at times in this one. Great use of feedback in his solo/outro. 03. Scar Tissue: nearly everyone has heard this song, great single. Definitely the more mellow druggy side of RHCP. 04. Otherside: Flea play nice mellow bass, Anything shines in this one along with chad. Not much for john hear but some little mellodies, but a great song overall. 05. Get On Top: propably my least favorite song on the album. Great playing all around, just not very catchy and lyrics kinda cliche in my opinion. 06. Californication: album title track, and one of the greater songs on the album. Very well written piece both musically and lyrically. Lyrics give a lot of interpretation to meaning. Anthony shines better work here. 07. Easily: also another great song, style is a little different hear but the chili's make it work well. Different sound for them in my opinion. 08. Porcelain: a very mellow weird song. One of my least favorites but it has its place. Different side of the chili's here. 09. Emit Remmus: one of the harder songs on the album, good song overall. John notable here. 10. I Like Dirt: back to their roots here with the funk. Nice funk song. John Shines here with his great lead work. 11. This Velvet Glove: very catchy bass and guitar riffs. Overall one of my favorites on the album. 12. Savior: great song. Favorite of the album, really just great guitar work and great signing by Anthony. Great feel to it. 13. Purple Stain: another song focusing more on there roots. Some good catch guitar and bass riffs in here. Also chad has a nice little drum solo at the end. 14. Right On Time: starts out very punkyfunkish. Very fast and hard, then slow and mellow song. 15. Road Trippin: amazing acoustic song. Great lyrics and singing and great guitar melody. One of my favorites. Overall RHCP's best album up to this point. They definitely do some experiementing in this one and you can see the great direction its heading in. I would replace this album in a heartbeat if ever lost or stolen. Definitly recommend picking up this album for a listen on a nice day. // 9

Californication Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 02, 2004

Sound: Very Good. This is Fleas first album with decent bass sounds, and with the return of John Frusciante this album was a brilliant comeback. There's no doubt that the chili's are musically talented. // 10

Lyrics: It's a real shame none of their lyrics make sense Anthony Kiedis sings well but most of the time you can't understand a word he's saying. // 6

Overall Impression: Obviously there wasn't much work to be done to beat their previous album One Hot Minute which was kind of crap. Overall the songs are brilliant and although the words don't carry them the music definitely does. Buy this but if you haven't got it buy by the way first, so no more dreaming of owning Californication. // 8

Californication Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 06, 2006

Sound: The first time I heard the song "Californication" I was addicted. I wanted to learn how to play the riffs especially the solo. Many of the songs I've heard, the bass depends on the guitar, but this is unique. Flea's bass is extraordinarily independent from John's guitar. Its completely different, yet adapts to the tone easily. It also stands out of the crowd, like the "Otherside." The first time I heard it, I thought the song needed two guitars but then figured out that its actually Flea's bass. All in all the sound rocks! // 10

Lyrics: Anthony's skill is just perfect! It's like he makes the lyrics of the verses out of nowhere. He's just flat out great! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is nothing ever before and nothing is going to replace the sound, and the lyrics. If I lost my CD 7 times, Ill buy it 8 times. I like the songs "Otherside," "Californication" and "Porcelain." Its lyrics maybe confusing but when you really put your heart and soul into it. It speaks to you in a very deep and emmontional way. // 10

Californication Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 20, 2006

Sound: 1999's "Californication" marked John Frusciante's triumphant return to the Chili Peppers as they released another set of incredible songs. While some songs (Around the World, Get On Top) stay true to their original funk-rock formula, other efforts, including "Porcelain," and "Californication," show a softer, yet still brilliant, ballad oriented band. One of my personal favorites from the Chilis, this album combines their classic sound with a new, refreshing one that won over tides of new fans. // 10

Lyrics: While Anthony Kiedis has many of his usual sexual, tastless (in a good way) lyrics on this album, he crafts some genuine, beautiful poetry with songs like the title track, "Scar Tissue" and "Otherside." However in songs such as "Get On Top," which is entireley devoted to Kiedis' sexual escapades, proves to be less of a deep poem than many others in the album. His voice is spot-on as always, and we all know that the Chili Peppers just wouldn't sound the same without Kiedis' throaty voice and clever rhymes. // 9

Overall Impression: "Californication" compares to classic funk-rock efforts like "Blood Sugar Sex Magik," while hinting at the brilliant harmonies and balladry that showed up on 2002's "By The Way." The most impressive songs, in my opinion, are the title track, Scar Tissue, Otherside, Easily, Emit Remmus, and the brilliant, album closing Road Trippin'. I love the guitar playing by the modern guitar god, John Frusciante, the usual astounding bass from Flea, the tight drumming that holds the songs down from a top-form Chad Smith, and the smooth vocals from Anthony Kiedis, and this album is certainly a classic not only by RHCP standards, but in the rock scene in general. // 10

Californication Reviewed by: Chosenfro68, on january 04, 2007

Sound: The music, as a whole, is very well done. Ranging from the funky, love song "Around The World" to the very intense "Parallel Universe", This album shows the Chili Peppers at their peak of creativity. This album is a more emotional album, due to the near death of lead guitarist John Frusciante' (see lyrics to "Otherside"). The Peppers seem to find a much deeper, melodic sound with songs like "Scar Tissue", and "Porcelain", But they don't leave their funk roots with songs like, "I Like Dirt" and "Get On Top". Overall the sound is very well rounded. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are outstanding! If you write poetry, or have even tried, you can appreciate songs like "Otherside" and "Scar Tissue". While Otherside is Talking about Drug Addiction ("I Yell and tell it that's it's not my friend, I tear it down, I tear it down, But then it's born Again.") Scar Tissue talks about all the problems that seem to be going on. From the Dave Navvaro situation ("Scar tissue that I wish you saw, Sarcastic, Mr. Know it all".) To the fights that were rising in and out of the band. ("Soft spoken with a broken jaw, Step outside but not to brawl"). While the lyrics are so great the music is just as well written. Anthony, as you may or may not know, has fought his drug addictions scince he was 14, and even though he has delt with drugs, He still comes in with outstanding vocals (not to mention John Frusciante's wonderfully arranged buckup vocals. Like in Scar Tissue). // 10

Overall Impression: This album, like every album they have ever put out, needs to be looked at as an individual peice of work. While not having the funk-rock that Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and Mothers Milk seemed to hold. And didn't have the hard-core funk Uplift Party Mofo Plan, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Freakey Styley had. This album gives a much different sound, that was first being born with Breaking the Girl, From Blood Sugar Sex Magik. The stand-out tracks would have to be "Scar Tissue", "Otherside", "Californiacation", "Purple Stain", and "Get On Top". This album has so much energy in it, and very different from their previous work, but old Chili Pepper Fans May feel left in the dust. If this record were stolen, or even lost, I would most definatly Buy this record again. // 10

Californication Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 27, 2007

Sound: For a diehard Chili Pepper fan like myself, every sound in this album shows the true essence of the band. It is the rebirth of the peppers after the return of John Frusciante. Their funky signature style transforms into more elaborate musical compositions. Right of the back, Around The World mixes a funky bass line in the verse with a melodic guitar chorus, setting the tone for the rest of the album. Melodic masterpieces follow such as Scar Tissue and Californication. The band shows their funky roots with songs like Get On Top and I like Dirt. They go into a whole new dimension with songs like Parallel Universe, Otherside, Easily and Emit Remmus, all with an explosive alternative sound. And finally tracks like This Velvet Glove and Road Trippin seal the deluxe package with a very soulful sound. Overall the band comes with a less agressive yet powerful and sentimental sound, full of innovations and very creative. // 10

Lyrics: Its clear that Anthony Kiedis' lyrics are not all about drugs and sex anymore. Although the lyrics are complicated, they have a much deeper meaning. AK's singing skill improves dramatically, blending in very well with the music. Anthony's voice has a lot of presence and it shows his importance musically for all the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: I love everything about this album. Its sound evokes so many feelings and sensations that are undescribable. If you love music you will love this album. The return of John Fruscinate is in my opinion the most important aspect of the albums success. The chemistry there is between John, Flea, Anthony and Chad is evident. Tracks 1-7 are my favorites but every time I listen to the album I never skip a song. If the album were solen/lost I would get it again, no doubt. // 10

Californication Reviewed by: TJM2482, on january 21, 2008

Sound: The sound of Californication, if I had to use one word only, is "sad". This album has a lot of emotion in it, as a lot of the songs have a "sad" feeling to it, clean guitar sections, simple drum beats, and vocals from Anthony Kiedis that really give you a sense of sadness and sorrow. That's not the entire album, as there's small bursts of upbeat stuff, common of the Chili's style. The album, at least to me, is nearly perfect in every sense. I honestly cannot bash one song on the album, which is a rarity in all of music. It's simply amazing. // 10

Lyrics: I'm not really a big fan of Kiedis's vocals, in fact I prefer guitarist John Frusciante's vocals from his solo stuff more (a whole other topic, but I digress). However, on this album I actually tolerate it. In fact, his vocals are pretty good on this album. Not the jerky, funk-sounding vocals in a lot of the Chili's work, he seems to "sing" more on this album. The lyrics themselves are solid, not the most complex, hard-hitting stuff, but good enough to not drag down any of the songs by any means. // 9

Overall Impression: Californication is a musical feat, easily their best album in my opinion. This album also sits comfortably in my top-10 favorites of all time. This album is near perfect, without any "shit" songs that most albums are riddled with among a couple solid tracks. I love the sense of lonesomeness and sadness, mixed with small sections of upbeat funk. The guitar work is spectacular. I really don't hate anything about it to tell you the truth. If I lost this album completely, I'd definitely pick it up. This album is a must-have for anyone. Now go buy a copy for yourself as well as everyone in your immediate family and circle of friends. // 10

Californication Reviewed by: munkyrage25, on february 12, 2008

Sound: The band is a little funky but wiht an ounce of rock. The bass is one of the best besides Les Claypool, Flea(Bassist) really slaps that bass till the floor shakes in your room. Well teh band has had a huge history with the drug heroine and they write a lot of their songs along that topic. In this slbum the lead singer (Anthony Kiedis) uses slot of style's to his singing. Some songs are more melow and other are so funk/rock that you just want ot jump around and Flea helps a lot on those songs. If you really like RHCP and you've just started listening to them get the book "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis (his biography) this CD and read and listen. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are of Kiedis's life and are sometimes deep but some are just plan funny. Th lyrics go along wiht the music perfectly and more. When Flea slaps that bass you just want to jump and then Anthony sings and it fits, the guitar fits in and makes it more harmonic than the drums add more bass and rythm and there's a perfect song for you. The singer has a few skills that are rare but no singer can copy he just has a sound that is a warm tone. // 8

Overall Impression: This album has no compitition or comparison to any other artists, they are one in a million band that will never stop playing their hearts out. The most impressive songs from the album are "Around The World", "Get On Top", "Scar Tissue", "californication", "Parellel Universe", "Otherside", and "I Like Dirt". I love this whole album and I hate nothing about it. if anything happened to this CD and do anything to get it back or to get a new one. // 10

Californication Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 22, 2010

Sound: This band has forged a sound that is entirely their own. After years of being on the scene, the chili peppers keep reinventing their sound to remain one of the freshest rock bands out there. Flea has taken his bass playing from hard hitting funk into a new more melodic direction, but he kills it on every track. Frusciante being back in the mix makes this band a force to be reckoned with. His guitar playing and song writing is just sensational. He manages to always play in perfect unison with Flea, almost like the two share a brain. Kiedis's voice and lyrics have evolved to sound much more real and mature, as if his voice changed along with what the rest of the band was doing. They know exactly how they want to sound and they pull it off in impressive fashion. Some of the funk may be gone, but there's still plenty there, you just may have to listen a little harder to hear it. If I had to sum up their new sound in one word it would be FREE. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics match the music brilliantly. Although it may not seem obvious at times, giving them a good listen reveals some of the tremendous implications of what you may initially take to be just a lot of randomness. The lyrical content on this album far surpasses that of their previous albums. Kiedis has taken his strange lyrical style of absurdity and focused it into an amazingly insightful and clever style unlike that of anybody else. // 9

Overall Impression: My favorite songs on this album are Around the World, Scar Tissue, Easily, and This Velvet Glove, but there are really no misses on this album. It may not appear so at first, but after a couple listens you begin to realize how much is at work in each song and start appreciating every track. This record honestly stacks up with anything I have ever heard by any band. Only giving this album one listen is just simply doing yourself a disservice. I plan on owning this album for the rest of my life. // 10

Comments