Freaky Styley review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jan 1, 1985
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Freaky Styley

This will not be an album to everyone's taste. It is quite different to Red Hot Chili Peppers of new. There is a lot of Emphasis on the bass, as you would expect in any album involving Micheal Balzary. This intwined with some, sometimes simplistic and at other times riddled with effects guitar riffs this makes a very enjoyable album. This is when some would say Anthony Kiedis' vocals were not "very strong". However there very different from older Chili Albums and I think work well with the music. This album is an early example of the red hot chili peppers however the recording is still very well done in my opinion. Without a lot wrong at all. If you enjoy the first track "jungle man" you will most likely be entertained through-out the album.

Anthony Kiedis' Vocal talent has certainly progressed over the years. And if you listen to this album and then a later album like stadium arcadium you may say they were a lot weaker without as much power behind them. However he does have a very strange style. A kind of Rap/sing medley. And in this album it works. The lyrics may be viewed by others as a very poor attempt. But I personally like them. They fit well with the music and are very different, very unlikely anyone else would put on them paper.

For some reason I love this album. As I do with a lot of other Red Hot Chili album's. I am officially hooked on them and although I may not listen to this album as much as others I do often find myself with a longing to go back to Red Hot Chili's roots. I love the style of writting this band has/had. Songs like "Yertle The Turtle" and "Nevermind" in my opinion make it worth the investment. If this album was stolen or lost I'd buy it again, without hesitation.

swews09
    wtf, Hillel didn't play guitar on Freaky Styley jack sherman did
    wtf hillel didn't play guitar on Freaky Styley Jack sherman did
    Footzyrama
    Wrong, jack sherman played on Red hot chili's peppers first album : Self Titled
    pootoob
    RAN89 wrote: Wrong, if you've read scar tissue it says jack sherman played some of their first album ad all of freaky styley. Then he was fired and hillel came back for the uplift mofo party plan
    No, no. The album credits Slovak, and Sherman himself said he quit after the tour for the first album. Besides, it's obviously Slovak. It reeks of his touch/
    meleadyoufollow
    swews09 wrote: And if you've read scar tissue, it does say that Sherman was fired after the the first albums tour, primarily for his addiction to Finger Ease.....
    Anthony gave him so much shit for that. ha. good one.
    pepper619
    this is an incredible album, but its not for everyone i must agree with that.
    KenMasters
    those tunes are half hillel/kiedis/flea/martinez half sherman/kiedis/flea/martinez red hot chili peppers used to write a lot of stuff that they miscellaneously recorded and the era between the first and second album is like that... even some parts sherman played were written by hillel...the album booklet credits both of them, each on different songs...
    Fera_rawr
    Both jack and hillel played n this album. I can't remember what songs and i can't be bothered digging the album out right now but Hillel played on 3 of the songs (catholic school girls rule and the other 2 i can't remember atm as i said) and Jack played on the rest although Hillel played on live shows for this album.