Funky Monks [DVD] review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Feb 22, 2000
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Funky Monks [DVD]

I found this DVD not only interesting but entertaining as well. Seeing the band members discuss the recording and sound of the album is interesting to me not only as a musician, but as a teen interested in Audio Engineering. I was very pleased with the black and white cameras, I think it gave the video a very "vintage" feel. Just as warning, I don't think too many non-musicians would enjoy this as much as musicians.

Content — 9
This informative DVD chronicles the bizarre recording of Red Hot Chili Peppers' 1991 Super-hit Blood Sugar Sex Magik. The Peppers take the viewer inside The Mansion for an in-depth and very spiritual view upon the making of the album. All the members get camera-time, not just Anthony and John. This DVD isn't just about the Chili Peppers: there's footage of Rick (Rubin), tour manager Lindy Goetz and other person ell. One of the things that really interested me was John Frusciante. When comparing the aloof, subdued John of today to the early-20's John of '91, it's quite amazing that they're even the same person. Everything from speech patterns to appearance has changed. This DVD shows John as a cheery, young, flamboyant musician who loves his music. It's amazing to see this transformation to John of today. On a completely off-topic note, this DVD display's drummer Chad Smith's uncanny ability on the piano. He's an amazing pianist. One complaint: I wish the DVD included full performances of songs, not just snippets. Not a big deal though.

Production Quality — 10
The production couldn't be more appropriate: a Black and White film about a lo-fi raw album. Does this make the DVD any less enjoyable? Absolutely not, I actually believe quite the contrary. I think it gives the documentary artistic credibility, as well as something different from most DVDs. There are no errors, no problems with syncing or camera, everything sounds and looks great. Just so people know, this DVD probably isn't for someone who is really bothered by Black and White film.

This DVD doesn't fail to impress, entertain and inform anybody who has an interest in recording and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. As stated earlier, it would be nice if the DVD included full song performances, but all the interesting scenes make up for the lack of music. I'm not going to say what I would do if someone stole it, because I'll make sure it's in a safe place to ensure it's safety.

KorbalBroach
    Great DVD, the contrast between the young, immature, headstrong John and the spiritual, meditative John of today is amazing