Greatest Hits review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Nov 18, 2003
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have one of the best and most distinctive sounds out there. This CD captivates it, for the most part, perfectly. Admitabbly, to be the greatest greatest hits out there it should've included more tracks before "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", but this was designed to be the Greatest Hits of their Warner years (with the exception of Higher Ground, their only mainstream hit before BSSM.) This is infact the best of the best. I dislike their 2 new songs on the album, but it doesn't matter. All the rest is orgasmic, and there's 6 minutes I don't really need at the end it's still beautiful.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have an interesting lyric style. If you're a fan, you're aware of this. The lyrics are always perfectly grooved with the music, but the lyrics aren't always legitimate or make much sense. With all the ballads, there are beautiful lyrics, with all the funky weirdness, there are funky weird lyrics. "Under The Bridge" is beautiful, "Give It away" is funky weird. Both are excellent. The band has vcariety with its lyrics, the CD shows it. Anthony Kiedis also has a fine voice, showing off his range on "Under The Bridge", his rolling of the tongue on "Give It away" (along with some of his not-really-heard-on-this-CD-because-it-was-their-old-school-days Rapping Ability). Overall, it's pretty damn great.

This is probably the best out of everything the Red Hot Chili Peppers released. It's better than any one of their albums, and I enjoy it a lot more than I do What hits? (What hits? is their first Greatest Hits CD, spanning the band's EMI years, for those of you who don't know.) Almost every song is beautiful, and except for the 2 new songs I can listen to every second and love it. The question comes down to this: Are you an avid Red Hot Chili Peppers fan or new to them? If you're new to them, this is a must have. But if you have every Red Hot Chili Peppers album, getting those 2 new songs won't complete your collection. The 2 new songs do not make this worth it if you have every other Red Hot Chili Pepper CD out there, but it includes one of their best songs that's not on any of the other RHCP CDs ("Soul to Squeeze"), so it might be worth it. If it got lost, I wouldn't buy it again, but that's because I have it on my PC and could burn it without the 2 songs I dislike replaced by some of the missing songs that belong here. I still really don't have any complaints with the CD.