Greatest Hits review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Nov 18, 2003
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have probably become one of the most influential bands for the last decade or so, and this CD shows you how they've done it. John Frusciante is a wonderful guitarist with a gift for creating catchy hooks and riffs, I mean, just look at "Californication" and "Under The Bridge." If you can't recognize those songs right off the bat, then you must have been living under a rock for the last couple of years. And I cannot heap enough praise onto their bassist, Flea. He brings a certain rock/funk/punk style up to the table, and it's just amazing. He creates wonderful basslines that compliment John's style perfectly, but neither one ever outshines the other. Now that's teamwork. And Anthony Keidis has a very distinct vocal tone, one that you could recognize in a second. Now, even though John isn't a huge shredder or a jazz fusion maestro, doesn't mean that his playing sucks. I've definitely taken a liking to his laid back style of playing, and that my friends is just as good as running a chromatic scale in under 20 seconds. Overall, great stuff.

I believe that the lyrics fit the music perfectly, although at times it's a little hard to totally comprehend them. But when you start off with a classic like "Under The Bridge," Anthony's story about where he used to get high, and move into the funky stuff like "Give It Away" and "Suck My Kiss," it's hard not to want to get up and dance to some of these. Then you hit some of their slower, more mellow songs, like "Scar Tissue," "Soul To Squeeze" (previously only found on the "Coneheads" soundtrack) and "Otherside," which show the more versatile styles of all the musicians. And the one song on there that definitely took me by surprise was the song "Road Trippin'" which has sort of a '60s vibe, where all the musicians would just gather for a jam, and create something much like this. Laid back, deep, and most of all fun. And as I did say earlier, Anthony has a magnificent voice, one which has given birth to many a different artist. Good lyrics makes a catchy song even better, I've always said.

Compared to some of my other albums, this is one you'd never expect me to listen to. But the attitude, the mood, the warmth that the Chilis create is just unbelievable. They make you wanna dance, then they make you wanna slow down to mull over some things. They're just so versatile and diverse, just as their audiences are. I cannot say that there was one song on this album that I skip whenever I play it(except for when time is of the essence, that is) because they all seem to move fluidly into the next. I loved that this collected some of their best radio hits, but I was a little shocked to see some material missing from the CD, such as "Aeroplane," "The Zephyr Song" and "Around The World." But of course, I did buy the DVD/CD package, so the music videos and documentary more than made up for that. This CD (and/or DVD package) was well worth my money. I cannot imagine not owning this, or even not having heard one song of it. If I lost this, I would start a full scale search trying to find it. Comb the desert, burn down the forests (although that would piss the band off) do anything in my power to find it. And if by any chance some idiot decides to steal it, he will more than likely wind up in intensive care for messing with my Chilli-Willies. To get more bang for your buck folks, get this album.