Greatest Hits And Videos [DVD] review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Nov 18, 2003
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 7
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits And Videos [DVD]

Greatest Hits is not the best display of RHCP's sound, but it is the display with the, well, greatest songs on it. You probably know whats on the CD: all the top songs (not necessarily their best, 2 or 3 songs should've been taken off in exchange for Can't Stop & Aeroplane) from the Warner Bros. era (and Higher Ground) and then 2 new songs that have never been heard before. That's the CD. The DVD, however, is an even better display of songs. It has ever music video they've done since 1992 except for the 2nd My Friends video (nowadays a yahoo music exclusive) and the Coffee Shop video (which never got any sort of airtime). The sound is clear (its a DVD), the display is clear (just like most DVDs). A worthy purchase.

Content — 9
It's a Best Of collection, with a couple extra features. It's go commentary by the band on every video, which is nice but nowadays is mandatory in DVDs no extra points there. But it does have some making of the video feauterettes, which would bring it up a bit. The nicest extra feature is the behind the scenes look at the tour in the (shada) extra features part of the disc. It makes the disc much more entertaining, giving what I'd guess was well over 2 hours of seeing what the band does in their off time on tour and how they prepare for each concert. I'm completly satisfied with the song list of the DVD, and the extra features on the DVD are better than most DVDs out there.

Production Quality — 7
A high production quality; all videos have a great audio and video track and it includes more than your average music DVD's worth of extra features. It has no trendy tricks or anything, but it gets the job done. However it loses a point because the "play all" doesn't work for music videos; after Suck My Kiss it just repeats. Also, after watching any video, it sends you to the BSSM video's menu, instead of the menu you came from.

It includes the Greatest Hits CD, that was my main problem with it. Why is this a problem? It runs up the cost $10 more than it should. Basically, it comes down to, is it worth buying a 2nd copy of Greatest Hits for? For me, it was. For you, it may not be. RHCP is my favorite band. However, if you don't own Greatest Hits, the DVD/CD combo by itself is a very worthwhile and extremely good purchase. A point lost due to the errors listed in production, but still: a great purchase.