I'm With You review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Aug 30, 2011
Red Hot Chili Peppers: I'm With You

After "Stadium Arcadium" it appeared for a while that the Chili's would call it a day. Guitarist John Frusciante left the band again and a period of uncertainty was certainly around for fans of the band. Fast forward to 2011 - new guitarist Josh Klinghoffer has slid into the hole left by Frusciante and has made the spot his own allowing the band to deliver one of their best albums yet. "I'm With You" sounds straight away like a band enjoying making music again and certainly a band perfectly complimenting each other's styles. From the ever present killer bass riffs of Flea to Klinghoffer's scifi-ish guitar tones, the Peppers are back and in top form.

Anthony Kiedis continues to write brilliant lyrics combining poignancy, fun and raw emotion. Highlights definitely include "Factory Of Faith" and "Brendan's Death Song" which are complete polar opposites but are equally as brilliant.

I have been a fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers since their very first album and have to say that "I'm With You" is quite possibly their finest album to date. Taking little bits of influence from their earlier works and combining them together to make a smorgasmord of Chili's funk-fun - buy this album and you will be hooked! Album highlights - "Annie Wants A Baby", "Factory Of Faith", "Look Around", "The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie" and "Did I Let You Know".

randyaintdead82
    Superperfex
    Josh is a laid back guitar player. Honestly he is what the Chilis need right now. It works really well and I look forward to the new tour/and future albums.
    Superperfex
    Guide to having a non-biased opinion of this album: Listen to the WHOLE thing. Repeat once or twice sometime. Then give your opinion. I for one like this album.
    hereticfive
    Bobbyz94 wrote: this album is epic it's one of those albums where i am capable of listening to the whole thing
    voodoochild23
    It surprised me, I think there's a lot more quality in this album than many people were expecting. It'll take me a bit longer to decide where it ranks among other RHCP albums but I enjoyed listening to it immensely. And I'm a huge fan of Frusciante's contributions to the band, I thought I'd miss his guitar work much more than I did in the end. Good album
    Feverrush
    Snowman388 wrote: Shortround wrote: Whether you like it or not, they've evolved. They're trying new things, with new people, and with new ideas. Don't expect them to just indulge you by bringing back sounds from their early career. I want them to make good sounds. And seriously, funk is what they do. They revolutionized music with their funk/alt rock hybrid fusion crap. Now they're a sub-par rock band.
    a sub-par rock band? are you kidding me? If you were judging this music without any idea of who it was or what their musical history was this would be considered a very good album. Just because they are RHCP is exactly why you don't think it's good. So learn to listen to music objectively and you might enjoy it more.
    Bobbyz94
    After.Rain
    randyaintdead82 wrote: I've decided that after looking at forums and reviews that RHCP fans are the pickiest mother****ers in the world!
    Sadly, thats true with alot of bands/singers... Although, it doesn't seem like their being picky, per say. Just a tad bit opinionated and maybe slightly dissapointed? But I mean the lineup has changed, theres nothing you can do about that. Not to say its a bad lineup... Now, I haven't heard every song, but The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie" made me dance while in the shower, against my will. And I almost fell...
    Ekim423
    thelastbenchers wrote: **** you nagging bitches
    thank you! and for all of you nagging about the new guitarist or how the album is lacking in one way or another, lets not forget the various things every member of the band has been influenced by during the hiatus. so yeah, the sound is gonna change, accept that fact and you can learn to appreciate the new sound. and disappointed no one here has mentioned any of Flea's piano work in this album..
    Feverrush
    Johnny Quest wrote: i heard this album, thinking it wasnt the RHCP. they have gotten pretty bad over the years. the new guitarist is pretty bad, hes not adding something good to the band and i understand their former guitarist couldnt play on this record. maybe they should have called it quits. they lyrics are awfull and neglectable. Kiedis writes most of his lyrics about california. here he tries to avoid it and he cant come up with anything good. i have nothing against the band. i like alot of songs on californication
    And you're just dumb, that's all.
    rkitching13
    i thought the album was great i mean john was amazing, probs one of my favorite guitarists, but josh, even tho his style is completely different from john's, flowed with the band really good in his own way i think they did an great job with the situation theyre in
    Bananafish003
    Saverain
    I like the album, just a little bit more of a variety would of been better I think.
    lecherousgaze
    I'm kinda surprised to see all these positive reviews around. maybe it was just me, but I just didn't like stadium. so up till now, I was really considering not buying the record at all. but the peppers being like my first favorite band from which I bought every album on release-day since californication by the age of 11, I just have to give these aging ****ers a chance. guess you just can't break tradtions - and maybe it's worth it
    krvolok
    krvolok wrote: I like very thing except Rain dance Maggie,that one I skip every time.It's somewhat like the laid back parts of Stadium.
    *Everything
    levitatingbear
    There are plenty of terrible bands making horrible albums. This band isn't one of them and this album isn't by any standards 'bad'. I like it.
    MonsterOfRock
    Ever since I heard "One Hot Minute", the post albums sound very bland to me. Not because Navarro brought in the heavy side, but that Flea was an absolute beast in that entire album. This album is just too pop (from what I heard on first listen) and not enough funk.
    korinaflyingv
    MonsterOfRock wrote: Ever since I heard "One Hot Minute", the post albums sound very bland to me. Not because Navarro brought in the heavy side, but that Flea was an absolute beast in that entire album.
    agreed, to me one hot minute is easily their best. the energy on that album is just ridiculous. i think this new album is alright, definitely better than stadium arcadium. the instrumental parts are the best they've done in years, but the vocal parts ruin it for me. anthony can't sing for shit and his lyrics are pretty awful too. that was fine back in the day when they were more punky/funky, but now they're actually trying to be a serious band, having a non-musician as the frontman is really holding them back.
    Snowman388
    It was a boring album. Trying to re-create Stadium Arcadium. Bring the **** back.
    krvolok
    fede01_8
    i have an mp3 version, but does the original cd sounds as awful as Californication?
    C0FF1NCAS3
    I was disappointed. This was a "Scream" situation where core band wrote an album then guitarist left and someone had to come stand in. The change is apparent. I didn't expect much and I got less. The guitar work is good, better than I could do but that doesn't mean its not uninspiring. John was better but you can't do any thing about that. On top of that the mixing on the album doesn't seem to be done well. Guitar is way down and Antony's voice come across as feeble and thin. We'll know more of what this will be after the next album. I'd imagine Josh is somewhat put off right now, he has big shoes to fill and doesn't want any one to think he's trying to be John so what could he do, he'll be more comfortable next album. If I were them I'd have called it quits without John. Like it or not once your a band like the Chili Peppers your sound and music is a product. If you **** with the formula you piss off half of your consumer base and manage to appease the other. what we have to accept is this is a new band, a different band and its going to sound different. They just have the same name as a band we all liked.
    Hendrixreborn
    I heard this album yesterday its what i would call a mediocre sub-par record and i love the chili peppers. I will buy the album strictly to support them and any future works they may do but i can't say i enjoyed a single track on the album sorry guys. ~Xx peace xX~
    Snowman388
    kLeft
    I_slit_throats
    FenderMaster wrote: I honestly thought it was a little disappointing. The guitars are much lower in the mix with most songs clearly being more bass than guitar driven. Josh's backing vocals are superb but his guitar parts are more textural, they don't really stand out or dommand the direction of the melody as they do flit in and out of it. Some may prefer this approach, but I prefer the more lead guitar driven songs of the last few albums. Hopefully with their next CD Josh will feel more comfortable leading the bands musical direction like John did before him, after all, John didn't do it on his first album either. Rick Rubin really messed up in the mix though, it's almost like he was trying to hide Josh.
    For sure, I agree totally. Personally I think Rick Rubin is the worst producer ever and destroys anything good in the music world that he touches.
    Superperfex
    kLeft wrote: Wow that's crazy to hear so much positive feedback on this album.. Upon first listen I could've sworn I was listening to the death of the Chili's..I swear it sounds like they're trying to bring back disco or some shit, coming across as nothing but a mere parody of themselves(IMO), not cool bro's.
    Are you a troll? There is no hint of anything disco on this record.
    Feverrush
    It does when it's good music. Just because it isn't exactly what they want.
    Root Beer
    Bananafish003 wrote: Bananafish003 wrote: Feverrush wrote: why is the user ration so low? There are so many troll garb fags on ug. Or maybe just a lot of disappointed fans. Not everyone who doesn't like something is a troll. Let me phrase that last bit better: Just because you don't like something, doesn't make you a troll.
    Feverrush wrote: It does when it's good music. Just because it isn't exactly what they want.
    Different people have different opinions on what "good" music is though. Not everyone is going to like the same thing. On topic, I haven't heard anything from the album yet, but it sounds promising. Looks like Josh is pushing them in a new and cool direction.
    Johnny Quest
    edgeyyz
    I have yet to listen to the album, but The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie really turned me off from running out to get it. I'll give it a listen just in case though.
    kLeft
    Superperfex wrote: Are you a troll? There is no hint of anything disco on this record.
    Well the point is it's not funk (even though it's obvious they're trying to be..)
    Shortround
    Hexagram
    just because they've evolved does not mean that their songs are good. Californication was a huge departure from their earlier stuff but remains a fantastic cd. I'm a huge RHCP fan but I think that a lot of the users saying this album is amazing or the best release this year are just praising it because it's the RHCPs. Yet, music is subjective and to me this album is very mediocre
    JackTheReaper
    Agree that mix on the album is pretty messed up ( guitars are to low), sound of them as a band is prefect, Anthony is in his usual style,there's enough of funk (or better said funky wanna be=), and there's some catchy chorus as always. Josh should have stick out more, his outro on "Did I Let You Know" is too shy or something ( but beautiful), and his voice is definitely unique.
    NikkieDS
    I Think it is a good album, the funk and the rock are replaced trough melody and emotie. This is a album for everybody also for people how don't like funk or rock. But still I think the album needs more funk because that is how the Red Hot Chili Peppers are. Its is good and I hope they have a 3th come back, but I don't think whit this album. They stay good and still I love them and the music! Greetz from Holland, and see you at 16 october Ahoy Rotterdam!
    b_flo
    This album was good. I think it's one of those that you have to listen to over and over again...which is great! Several highlights: Monarchy of Roses, Look Around, Brendan's Death Song, Police Station...just to name a few. Just wait till they do their full-blown tour. These songs will translate better live. Also, wait till you see their light show! This is going to be a great tour. The word is chandeliers.
    Frusciante19
    this is an amazing album - personally i agree with the third review - it is probably the best RHCP album so far. one of the best definitely. amazing - looking forward to my copy of the album... amazing
    slaveskinJACKET
    I thought The Adventures of Raindance Maggie was the best song on the album. It was the only one that I pretty much liked all the way through (apart from the solo). There are other songs that are ok, or that have a cool part or two -- I like the refrain and the music in Even You Brutus? , and Meet Me at the Corner is alright. But, so far, I'm not a big fan of this album. Also, contrary to others' opinions, I thought that Klinghoffer's guitar work was some of the most interesting things about this album. I wish he would play more riff/lead-based, though. I don't really like his ambiance approach, but I still think the guitar is interesting on this album.
    somewhatdamaged
    i have listened to the album front to back about 6 times all the way through now and have to say its just as good as stadium if not better. And screw all you people who keep wanting them to sound like their old shotty funk music from the 80s. That time has long passed and im so happy that i was too young to adequately remember that terrible decade. Klinghoffer is great on this album despite the fact i hate the single and think it is by far the worst song on the album. Damn near every other song on the cd is amazing and that stupid opinion from you aging hippies that their music has been terrible after blood sugar just makes everyone who appreciates their actual intelligent songwriting angry. Your frivolous banter is disgusting so appreciate this new album for what it sounds like and where it's coming from. Otherwise keep your silence and keep listening to all of your old lp's from the 80s on a daily basis instead of appreciating the maturity and diversity that this band has acheived throughout their long careers.