I'm With You review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Aug 30, 2011
Red Hot Chili Peppers: I'm With You

The sound on this album isn't the best. But it also isn't the worst. There isn't a lot of funk in Kiedis' singing, funk is present on this album though. The bass lines on this album are fantastic; Flea proves he is still a great bassist. John Frusciantes' replacement, Josh Klinghoffer did a very adequate job, not in an adequate way though. He kept the sound of the RHCP but definitely added something new. Overall it wasn't the best of their albums sound wise, but it can definitely be put close to "By The Way" and "Californication". It is better than "Stadium Arcadium" too.

Kiedis branches out his lyrics on this album to different subjects than he has in RHCP last few albums. The best written songs on this album are, in order, "Brendan's Death Song", "Even You, Brutus?", "Goodbye Hooray", and "Factory Of Faith". The best singing, in order, is on "Meet Me At The Corner", "Dance Dance Dance", "Brendan's Death Song", and "Factory Of Faith". His singing is much more mellow and much less funky than on bast albums like "Mother's Milk", "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", and "One Hot Minute". It is much more mature but still very good singing and it works in well with the music.

Even if you say they've mellowed out, they are still one of a kind music. No one else sounds anything like them. The most impressive songs on this album were "Factory Of Faith", "Brendan's Death Song", "Police Station", and "Ethiopia". I was very impressed with this album after listening to "Stadium Arcadium". It surpassed that album by a good amount and they grew into a slightly different sound. I can't say I hate anything, besides the couple of songs where John Klinghoffer doesn't have enough to do on and the guitar is a little stale. The guitar on most of these songs are outstanding though. This album would find me purchasing it again if I lost it somehow.

Kwyjibo2006
    I actually kind of liked the album. It's got a lot more of a constant "party" sound than some of their previous efforts (just listen to the intro of Look Around), and reminds me of their older material without sounding like they're repeating themselves. My favorites are Monarchy of Roses (the outro is outstanding), Brendan's Death Song and Did I Let You Know (although I can't help but think of Enrique during the chorus' "take me home, take me home"). All in all, 7.5/10 from me.
    aidkir
    Come on people, its a great album! I mean look at most other artists at the moment, we have 1 good album for every 100 bad. The Chilis are one of the most consistent bands around with out any 2 albums being the same, i am yet to meet a person who does not like a chili pepper song so maybe this will bring some people back to music that is actually played well and with heart!