Live At Slane Castle [DVD] review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Nov 18, 2003
  • Content: 6
  • Production Quality: 10
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Live At Slane Castle [DVD]

I love the diverse and different sound of the hard funk/soft punk/great rock of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Flea's bass playing never really misses a beat, Chad Smith keeps a mean rhythm and John Frusciante is one of, if not the, greatest modern guitarist(s). The Red Hot Chili Peppers are a great live band, keeping enough things steady so that the songs are still the classics they are, but changing things enough that they're not quite the same as the studio version. For example, John shreds, taps, and hammers quite a bit more live than he does in the studio. Everything about the sound is translated perfectly onto the DVD.

Content — 6
This is a live DVD of a great concert, by all means. I hate to give this a 3 because that makes it seem worse than it really is (assuming you only read the scores at the end of each review section), but I'm going to. The set list in this is mostly off of By The Way and Californication (although there a few Blood Sugar Sex Magik tracks, but honestly nothing older than that.) I subtracted one point for zero older songs that I wanted live like Higher Ground or Yertle The Turtle. Why a 3 if I only subtracted one point from that? Well, the DVD has only one little part of bonus content, and it's "Wallpaper". No, it's not Wallpaper for your PC desktop. It's video recordings of the background animations that play behind the RHCP as they play. Little weird cartoony stuff and buffalos running videos, if you will. Still, a great performance and a good set list, but I would've appreciated an interview or two and some older songs.

Production Quality — 10
There's no real tricks to the production here. Straight up video of their live performance at Slane Castle, but that's not a bad thing. Plenty of lighting effects, and something I really appreciated about this DVD was the lighting. It's not a Pink Floyd show or anything, but I purchased this after buying the Red Hot Chili Peppers "Off The Map" DVD. That DVD doesn't provide enough lighting, and things are way too dark most of the time for me to enjoy it fully. Not with this one. Everything is crystal clear in both sound and vision.

Bottomline: This DVD is the best live Red Hot Chili Peppers DVD. The sound and vision comes through crystal clear. The set list could've been better but was still good. There could've been extra features but on a music DVD I'm not willing to subtract from my overall score. I love this DVD because the Chilis doing what they do best - play great songs live. There's various improvitations and plenty of the Red Hot Chili Peppers live jokes. The little things that make it lovable. For example, before they cover the Ramone's "Havana Affair", they introduce it like so: "This next song may not sound like it, but it's by the Ramones... " "... however, if you've had enough Guiness, it may sound exactly like the Ramones. " I bought it for cheapo, $10 brand new. I don't know if that's now the standard deal, but if it is I highly recommend buying this. This is a great live performance overall, and I'd buy it again if it got stolen or even if it got lost in my room for a month.