Live At Slane Castle [DVD] review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Nov 18, 2003
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Live At Slane Castle [DVD]

RHCP sound great on this DVD, it's probably the best Live DVD I have ever owned. When I bought it, I watched it every day for five days straight and didn't get sick of it! The band sounds amazing. While keeping true to the recorded versions of each song, they still manage to spice these funk-rock wonders up even more. Anthony Kiedis' singing is right on, Flea and Chad both rock and play amazing instrumental solos, and John is at his best, ripping up mega-hot versions of classic riffs such as Can't Stop and Purple Stain, and he plays amazing solos for each song.

Content — 9
The DVD is a live concert as stated in the title, and they play 16 of their most well known tracks as well as 2 punk covers (Right On Time by The Clash and Havana Affair by The Ramones). Somehow they manage to convert these punk songs into their own style, which is great. The only disappointment was the absence of Suck My Kiss, a great song but all the songs they play are great ones anyway.

Production Quality — 10
The production quality is great, with shots of the crowd throughout the whole show and cool 'matrix' style jumps every now and then. The audio quality is amazing it sounds as if you are there if you have surround sound, and Flea's bass comes out superb through the sub-woofer.

I have the Use Your Illusion DVD's by GN'R and they are great but compared to this work of art they are shit. This DD rocks, no doubt about it. The most impressive thing is the energy that the whole band has for the entire show and how much the crowd loves them. If I lost this I would definetly buy it again.