Live At Slane Castle [DVD] review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Nov 18, 2003
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Live At Slane Castle [DVD]

RHCP always rocked. The druggy sound of Keidis is near, if not perfect with the whole funk sound of the band. As usual, Flea is still his usual "normal" self that makes his playing not only perfect, but extremely fun to watch. As For Frusciante, probably one of the best guitarists in the world right now. And Chad Smith. I'm not really someone who cares too much about the drums unless I'm playing in a band with one. So yeah, he's ok. Bottom line, if you know RHCP forever and love their music, then this is easily their best concert in each of their whole careers. The sound of the music is crystal clear from the first song to the last one. The solo John does is a little different from the studio version but unlike some live performances that change their solos, the ones he does here are perfect and sometimes even better than that of the ones you hear on your CD. And the music? Generally perfect. Every song never misses a beat and/or a note and the funk genre is still at home with them. Absolutely no flaw here.

Content — 10
Extra content, there's the usual stuff pretty much. Nothing special but then there's this "wallpaper" feature which isn't really very interesting unless you like to listen to their songs with running colored buffalo ala '60s drugged-up style. Probably the weakest point of the whole disk which doesn't hurt it in any way at all besides it's the concert that's important. The concert, as I said, was perfect and the whole song list pretty much sums up about 95% of my favorite songs. Some of the older songs were played since they were really popular, like Under The Bridge but nothing before Blood Sugar Sex Magik. There's also some random solos made by Frusciante that act as a few fillers which are pretty cool. While there's this part where Flea plays a trumpet makes you want to learn how to play it too in hopes that you'll be as good as flea someday. Wicked stuff. 01. By The Way 02. Scar Tissue 03. Around The World 04. Universally Speaking 05. Parallel Universe 06. Zephyr Song 07. Throw Away Your Television 08. Havana Affair 09. Otherside 10. Purple Stain 11. Don't Forget Me 12. Right On Time 13. Can't Stop 14. Venice Queen 15. Give It Away 16. Californication 17. Under The Bridge 18. Power Of Equality Yes. All songs rock even if you never heard some of them before they all rock. Guaranteed.

Production Quality — 9
The look of the whole concert is amazing and crisp and clear in every way; again, flawless. The only tricks that are shown has to be some sort of Matrix-style camera movement thing that usually happens when Keidis jumps and everything freezes as the camera rotates around him and the band. Pretty cool and it doesn't interfere with the song at all so it's alright except that it doesn't happen very often. I only saw it happen a couple of times in the beginning of the whole thing and at least once by the middle. Not much and if they took it out, it's alright. But since it's here, it doesn't really matter since it isn't a major thing only reason I gave this part a 9.

In the end. I can honestly say that this has to be the best live concert DVD of the band. All major songs you want are here (unless you want the really old songs) and everything is perfect. From The Presentation to the Sounds itself. Amazing. The flow of the songs is great too and never jumps from a slow one to a fast one crazily. Unlike some other concert DVDs where at one point I would just like to skip to the next good song, I never did that here. Every song is worth listening to and every part is worth watching from the opening of By The Way to the solo of Zephyr Song to the crazy solo before californication to the fast paced classic guitar playing in Venice Queen to the classic song, Under The Bridge and the concert ending with Power Of Equality. There's nothing I hate about this CD. Nothing. And if it were stolen/lost. I will buy it again so that I can watch it again. For the record, this is one concert DVD I will never forget. Buy it now.

JohnFrusciante!
    the clash didnt do right on time, yeah tehy start it with london callign, but the song is chilis material
    cuige
    This is a fantastic DVD which shows not only the bands talant but the brilliance of the Irish. Come on the boys in Green!!!