Live At Slane Castle [DVD] review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Nov 18, 2003
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 9
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Live At Slane Castle [DVD]

If you've ever seen a Red Hot Chili Peppers live show you already know that they have insane amounts of energy and full of improv solos and jams. This DVD helps exemplify that very well. Sounds just like if you were there (to a point). Very well balanced as well.

Content — 8
The DVD features the concert itself and wallpaper. The wallpaper is actually just the video shown behind them as they play and really pointless unless you have a huge screen and play in front of it but still doesn't really make sense. The set list is ok it has many great tracks obviously there's nothing from One Hot Minute and nothing before BloodSugarSugarMagik which is kind of dissapointing. Although an awesome performance of Power of Equality helps make up for it. There is also Havana Affair (Ramones) which is very good. I was kind of disappointed to learn that a performance of Soul to Squeeze was left out because John broke a string. (It would have been after Right on Time, there's a part where you see John come out with a Strat but the next song he's playing a Tele).

Production Quality — 9
The picture is very nice, crystal clear. And the lighting is very well done. There are many uses of Matrix-like slow motion effects usually when either Flea or Anthony jumps or makes a cool move. It's kind of corny but still pretty cool. Overall very well produced.

One of the best live DVD's I've ever seen. Most impressive thing is that everything flows really well and they don't leave the entire wait for the encore in which is very nice. I love the concert the improvisations are fantastic and the reason behind many tabs people have made. I don't like that there's not any special features of any kind minus the wallpaper. If it were stolen/lost I would sure as Hell get another copy. A must buy for any Red Hot Chili Peppers fan.