Live At Slane Castle [DVD] review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Nov 18, 2003
  • Content: 6
  • Production Quality: 8
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Live At Slane Castle [DVD]

The Chilli Peppers are renouned for being incredibly good live, and were nominated for best live act multiple times the past few years. When I bought this DVD I was still surprised at how good they sounded, even the little weird breakdowns that I assumed were studio tricks. Expect the DVD to sound like their albums, but being live its much more organic and viceral. In John F's solos and little improv pieces I also detected a little latin vibe, which is nice.

Content — 6
As mentioned this is a live DVD. They play a nice spread of their more recent music, but sticking to the hits. I can't complain because its a beautiful and diverse setlist, but there were no surprises. I would have liked to see older or lesser known songs. Surely there are songs that they thaught were great, but didn't become hits as eg. "Californication" did.

Production Quality — 8
The video is well produced, with sound and visuals allways matching and in crystal clear definition. There is one 3D technique, where they virtually move the camers around Kiedis as he's jumping about, that gets used to often and so instead of being a powerful effect it just becomes annoying. Overall, the sound and video quality is awesome and the camera work is exceptionally good as well.

This video is a prime example of what music should be. Real people making great music, live. It is an insight into how each of the bandmembers respond in a live environment, and I especially liked fleas little attributions. His bass and trumpet solos are memorable, and he sings well too. The ONLY thing I would change is the overuse of the abovementioned video effect.

Galfadez
    The top review is stupid. You couldn't honestly expect them to play Yertle the turtle or any of that 80s stuff