Live At Slane Castle [DVD] Review

artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers date: 12/23/2011 category: compact discs
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Live At Slane Castle [DVD]
Released: November 18, 2003
With Live At Slane Castle, the always excellent Chili Peppers show you why they are argueably the best band still around today making new music.
 Content: 8.2
 Production Quality: 9
 9.2
 9.3
 4,004
Live At Slane Castle [DVD] Reviewed by: UtBDan, on september 10, 2004

Sound: I love the diverse and different sound of the hard funk/soft punk/great rock of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Flea's bass playing never really misses a beat, Chad Smith keeps a mean rhythm and John Frusciante is one of, if not the, greatest modern guitarist(s). The Red Hot Chili Peppers are a great live band, keeping enough things steady so that the songs are still the classics they are, but changing things enough that they're not quite the same as the studio version. For example, John shreds, taps, and hammers quite a bit more live than he does in the studio. Everything about the sound is translated perfectly onto the DVD. // 10

Overall Impression: Bottomline: This DVD is the best live Red Hot Chili Peppers DVD. The sound and vision comes through crystal clear. The set list could've been better but was still good. There could've been extra features but on a music DVD I'm not willing to subtract from my overall score. I love this DVD because the Chilis doing what they do best - play great songs live. There's various improvitations and plenty of the Red Hot Chili Peppers live jokes. The little things that make it lovable. For example, before they cover the Ramone's "Havana Affair", they introduce it like so: "This next song may not sound like it, but it's by the Ramones... " "... however, if you've had enough Guiness, it may sound exactly like the Ramones. " I bought it for cheapo, $10 brand new. I don't know if that's now the standard deal, but if it is I highly recommend buying this. This is a great live performance overall, and I'd buy it again if it got stolen or even if it got lost in my room for a month. // 10

Live At Slane Castle [DVD] Reviewed by: IlIkE2plygUItAr, on december 10, 2004

Sound: I always loved RHCP, so I got this DVD as soon as I could. It has many of thier best songs, including a fex new ones. It is an amazing DVD. It was filmed at Slane Castle, Ireland in front of 80, 000 screaming fans. // 10

Overall Impression: This is better than other DVDs I have seen. The most impressive thing is the amount of people, and Flea's solo. I love all the songs and I love Anthony's voice, but I hate the covers. If it were stolen, I'd curl up in a blanket and suck my thumb, and then grab a gun and go look for it. // 10

Live At Slane Castle [DVD] Reviewed by: Jimbo/Slash, on may 27, 2005

Sound: We all know and love the Chilis and to give their sound less than 5 would be a crime. I'm not a close-minded person, but the Chilis are just excellent musicians. The only element that ever is a little iffy about Chilis is Anthony's singing - sometimes he is just seems to be shouting, but here they are spot on. They play all their best songs, although not much old stuff, or they would be playing into the next morning! Flea and Frusciante are as great as ever. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall a good music DVD. Buy it for the music and you'll love it. The menu takes ages to go through it's intro, but it is good. If it was stolen and I had the money I would buy it again. // 10

Live At Slane Castle [DVD] Reviewed by: druz15_UG, on january 11, 2006

Sound: RHCP sound great on this DVD, it's probably the best Live DVD I have ever owned. When I bought it, I watched it every day for five days straight and didn't get sick of it! The band sounds amazing. While keeping true to the recorded versions of each song, they still manage to spice these funk-rock wonders up even more. Anthony Kiedis' singing is right on, Flea and Chad both rock and play amazing instrumental solos, and John is at his best, ripping up mega-hot versions of classic riffs such as Can't Stop and Purple Stain, and he plays amazing solos for each song. // 10

Overall Impression: I have the Use Your Illusion DVD's by GN'R and they are great but compared to this work of art they are shit. This DD rocks, no doubt about it. The most impressive thing is the energy that the whole band has for the entire show and how much the crowd loves them. If I lost this I would definetly buy it again. // 10

Live At Slane Castle [DVD] Reviewed by: rockgodgeorge, on april 15, 2006

Sound: RHCP always rocked. The druggy sound of Keidis is near, if not perfect with the whole funk sound of the band. As usual, Flea is still his usual "normal" self that makes his playing not only perfect, but extremely fun to watch. As For Frusciante, probably one of the best guitarists in the world right now. And Chad Smith. I'm not really someone who cares too much about the drums unless I'm playing in a band with one. So yeah, he's ok. Bottom line, if you know RHCP forever and love their music, then this is easily their best concert in each of their whole careers. The sound of the music is crystal clear from the first song to the last one. The solo John does is a little different from the studio version but unlike some live performances that change their solos, the ones he does here are perfect and sometimes even better than that of the ones you hear on your CD. And the music? Generally perfect. Every song never misses a beat and/or a note and the funk genre is still at home with them. Absolutely no flaw here. // 10

Overall Impression: In the end. I can honestly say that this has to be the best live concert DVD of the band. All major songs you want are here (unless you want the really old songs) and everything is perfect. From The Presentation to the Sounds itself. Amazing. The flow of the songs is great too and never jumps from a slow one to a fast one crazily. Unlike some other concert DVDs where at one point I would just like to skip to the next good song, I never did that here. Every song is worth listening to and every part is worth watching from the opening of By The Way to the solo of Zephyr Song to the crazy solo before californication to the fast paced classic guitar playing in Venice Queen to the classic song, Under The Bridge and the concert ending with Power Of Equality. There's nothing I hate about this CD. Nothing. And if it were stolen/lost. I will buy it again so that I can watch it again. For the record, this is one concert DVD I will never forget. Buy it now. // 10

Live At Slane Castle [DVD] Reviewed by: untitled039, on january 05, 2007

Sound: This is probably the best RHCP DVD there is out there. Their performance is phenomenal, this is probably also their best live show I've ever seen them play. It was recorded at Slane Castle, County Meath in Ireland on 23rd August 2003, so most of the songs are from the 'By The Way' Album than anything else. It lasts around 100 mins. // 9

Overall Impression: This is by far the best RHCP DVD there is out there, and this is the best performance I've seen the Chili Peppers do live. There is hardly any extra features on this DVD, but it doesn't matter that much because the performance is so good. I would definitely buy this again if it were stolen or lost, although it's kinda hard to find where I live. // 10

Live At Slane Castle [DVD] Reviewed by: frustrat62, on july 05, 2007

Sound: If you've ever seen a Red Hot Chili Peppers live show you already know that they have insane amounts of energy and full of improv solos and jams. This DVD helps exemplify that very well. Sounds just like if you were there (to a point). Very well balanced as well. // 10

Overall Impression: One of the best live DVD's I've ever seen. Most impressive thing is that everything flows really well and they don't leave the entire wait for the encore in which is very nice. I love the concert the improvisations are fantastic and the reason behind many tabs people have made. I don't like that there's not any special features of any kind minus the wallpaper. If it were stolen/lost I would sure as Hell get another copy. A must buy for any Red Hot Chili Peppers fan. // 10

Live At Slane Castle [DVD] Reviewed by: pl0x, on october 27, 2007

Sound: I think the sound was great and covered most of my favorite songs. Red Hot Chili Peppers are known for their live jams and these are the best ones they have ever done, the intro is great and By The Way leads perfectly into Scar Tissue. John Frusciante's solos are amazing as always. It is in Ireland at Slane Castle with an audience of 80,000 people. Each member except Anthony also does a solo by them selves between songs sometimes. Flea does an indian style bass part, a few songs later John sings and plays "Maybe" then Chad Smith does a solo accompanied by Flea's Trumpet. THis is a must buy as you can feel the energy that they played with that show! // 10

Overall Impression: If this were stolen in deck the person who stole it or get another copy, it's definatly worth it, this amazing performance and great stage presence makes it worth ever penny. Better than other concert DVDs in my opinion. I love it how all their songs are fluently going to the next one especially the first two, By The Way and Scar Tissue. You will never be able to see so much energy and great solos from them like this gig, you have to get it. Your not a true Chili Pepper Fan if you haven't got this! // 10

Live At Slane Castle [DVD] Reviewed by: monsterkabouter, on december 23, 2011

Sound: The Chilli Peppers are renouned for being incredibly good live, and were nominated for best live act multiple times the past few years. When I bought this DVD I was still surprised at how good they sounded, even the little weird breakdowns that I assumed were studio tricks. Expect the DVD to sound like their albums, but being live its much more organic and viceral. In John F's solos and little improv pieces I also detected a little latin vibe, which is nice. // 10

Overall Impression: This video is a prime example of what music should be. Real people making great music, live. It is an insight into how each of the bandmembers respond in a live environment, and I especially liked fleas little attributions. His bass and trumpet solos are memorable, and he sings well too. The ONLY thing I would change is the overuse of the abovementioned video effect. // 9

Comments