Live In Hyde Park review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Aug 3, 2004
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Live In Hyde Park

The sound of this album is truly astonishing. And gives a real taste of that unique chili peppers chemistry. 15 years of hard experience really shows on this album. (How many other bands can sell out three nights at Hyde Park?) Having being mixed and produced in such a short about of time (just under a month) I have to say it shows, the record has a really raw sound. So many live albums these days have a slight studio tint, but you can tell that these guys have gone back to basics and put out exactly what graced the cabinets those three glorious nights at Hyde Park. These boys can play, and you can tell that hear. The best tracks have to be Fortune Faded, Under The Bridge, Give It Away and By The Way. Unfortunately tracks like Scar Tissue and Californication, which require a more delicate approach on vocals to say the least suffered the usual shaky live vocals from anthony not to mention John's murdering of the Scar Tissue solos. There are some cracking covers too, Brandy Having to be the favourite. Aswell as a Trumpet solo from Flea with John jamming on top not to mention chads drum solo, breaking out into the intro of 'We Will Rock You' and two new tracks, which at first listen bring out a begging for the next installment of Chili Pepper history. This album is all about being live, and they were that. Raw. Unique. Exciting.

As per usual Mr. Keidis prefferred to let the music do the talking at this concert. Anicdotes from Flea but as per usual John kept quiet although he did perform a cover of I feel love. And by the sounds of it he sure did. On the lyrics side, Anthony was true to the original records and was in tune the whole time, like with any band the vocalist started to feel tired about three quarters in, but this was live so you cant complain. As I mentioned Scar Tissue suffered a little on the high notes, but its made up for with a blistering performance of easily and later on, Under The Bridge.

Fantastic. What did you expect? These boys are the current legends of world music. Cover art does leave a little to be desired but with production in under a month one cant complain. I think this is the first time I have bought a cd and listened to the whole thing without getting bored. Buy it. Fond a comfy chair. Put it on. Close your eyes and think of the vintage funksters as we know and live them. Absolutey outstanding, well worth a look.