Live In Hyde Park review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Aug 3, 2004
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Live In Hyde Park

It's a live album. How great do you expect the sound to be? Theres all manor of fizzing crackling feedback, and noise from the croud, but again, its a live album? You expect this sort of thing. It's so bad its good. Does that make sense? Also the band play hardly anything before the Californication. Give It Away and Under The Bridge are the only songs taken from Blood Sugar (and they only play them because there'd be a riot if they didn't). Almost everything is taken from Californication, or By The Way. I'm not complaining, but it'd be nice to hear Suck my Kiss, Higher Ground or Sir Psycho Sexy. Ok, maybe not Sir Psycho Sexy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the chili peppers. I was at Hyde Park on the Sunday. But I think Anthony does slack a bit on this album. He's always criticised for shouting instead of singing, but on this album, its taken to the extreme. Theres also a point in Purple Stain where he obviously forgets the words. But who cares? Their the Chili Peppers. They could go up and play a Busted song and still get cheered. John is the best thing on this album by far. Vocally he outshines Anthony on every song, and his "nuts-in-a-vice" rendition of I Feel Love is breath taking. Even Flea sings.

Despit all of its faults, Live in Hyde Park is so good it hurts. If you were there its like the ultimate reminder of the afternoon (even if you did have to listen to Chicks on Speed) and if you weren't there, well its the ultimate reminder that you should get a ticket next time. Best song - Brandy, I Feel Love, Can't Stop and Rolling Sly Stone (a song so mind bogglingly wow it'd be a crime not to release it as a single.) Get it you like - Any Chili Peppers album. Skip it if you like - Limp Bizkit, Busted, bands who feel the need to scream every other second.