Live In Hyde Park Review

artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers date: 09/22/2007 category: compact discs
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Live In Hyde Park
Released: Aug 3, 2004
Genre: Rock
Taken from their mammoth shows in June 2004, Live in Hyde Park captures the Red Hot Chili Peppers at their very best.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 9.5
 9.2
 9.7
Live In Hyde Park Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 27, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is truly astonishing. And gives a real taste of that unique chili peppers chemistry. 15 years of hard experience really shows on this album. (How many other bands can sell out three nights at Hyde Park?) Having being mixed and produced in such a short about of time (just under a month) I have to say it shows, the record has a really raw sound. So many live albums these days have a slight studio tint, but you can tell that these guys have gone back to basics and put out exactly what graced the cabinets those three glorious nights at Hyde Park. These boys can play, and you can tell that hear. The best tracks have to be Fortune Faded, Under The Bridge, Give It Away and By The Way. Unfortunately tracks like Scar Tissue and Californication, which require a more delicate approach on vocals to say the least suffered the usual shaky live vocals from anthony not to mention John's murdering of the Scar Tissue solos. There are some cracking covers too, Brandy Having to be the favourite. Aswell as a Trumpet solo from Flea with John jamming on top not to mention chads drum solo, breaking out into the intro of 'We Will Rock You' and two new tracks, which at first listen bring out a begging for the next installment of Chili Pepper history. This album is all about being live, and they were that. Raw. Unique. Exciting. // 10

Lyrics: As per usual Mr. Keidis prefferred to let the music do the talking at this concert. Anicdotes from Flea but as per usual John kept quiet although he did perform a cover of I feel love. And by the sounds of it he sure did. On the lyrics side, Anthony was true to the original records and was in tune the whole time, like with any band the vocalist started to feel tired about three quarters in, but this was live so you cant complain. As I mentioned Scar Tissue suffered a little on the high notes, but its made up for with a blistering performance of easily and later on, Under The Bridge. // 8

Overall Impression: Fantastic. What did you expect? These boys are the current legends of world music. Cover art does leave a little to be desired but with production in under a month one cant complain. I think this is the first time I have bought a cd and listened to the whole thing without getting bored. Buy it. Fond a comfy chair. Put it on. Close your eyes and think of the vintage funksters as we know and live them. Absolutey outstanding, well worth a look. // 10

Live In Hyde Park Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 28, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is astounding. I was lucky enough to catch the Chilis live in the Phoenix Park in Dublin in June and the set they performed at the Hyde Park shows was more or less the same as the one they played that night. Because of it's very quick production (under a month) the sound remains refreshingly raw - a lot of live albums now have a slight studio sound - and true to what the band actually do sound like live. Flea is amazing on his bass, John's guitar playing is sublime and Chad must have extra stores of energy or something. The same can be said for Anthony (the energy thing, I mean) because his voice is brilliant for most of this. Of course he got a bit tired (who wouldn't?) // 10

Lyrics: There is great varation in the songs they perform on this so that you end up with all the classics, songs that maybe weren't so popular in the charts, three covers and two cracking new tracks that leave you crying out for the next album. Anthony's singing had always been criticised but as he said himself he's been "managing to make sounds with his mouth in this band" for 20 years now and his singing has definitely improved since the early albums and it was almost flawless during this set. He was a bit shaky on the high notes of 'Scar Tissue' and some of the other, softer songs but made up for that with an absolutely note-perfect 'Under The Bridge' later on. John also sings a cover of 'I Feel Love' and that boy can hit some high notes - it was perfect! His backing vocals were, as always, sensational. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a must-have for any Chilis fan. For those lucky enough to have seen them perform on the recent World Tour it will bring back a whole heap of happy memories and for those who didn't catch them, well then you've just got to buy it now! These four guys are at their peak right now and it shows in this album. My favourites on this are: Can't Stop (the blistering opener) Fortune Faded, By The Way, Easily, Brandy, Purple Stain, Zephyr Song and Under The Bridge (flawless). Also watch out for Chad's drum medley and Flea's trumpet with some awesome effects from John. These guys are easily the biggest, best band in the world at the moment. Buy it. // 10

Live In Hyde Park Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is really amazing. I went to see the Chilis live in Dublin in June and this album really captures that raw live chemistry those four guys have together and with the audience. There is no doubt about the fact that this band are musically talented and everyone really must see them live to fully appreciate their ability. They have to be the best live band in the world and if you want a piece of the magic I, and the other 119,999 people got in Dublin that night you really should buy this. The set is more or less the same as it was at the Dublin gig. // 10

Lyrics: Anthony's singing has always been criticised, but he shines on this album. Of course, he gets a bit tired and becomes a little shaky on some of the higher notes of the softer songs, but it's a live album - who wouldn't get tired? They play all the classics (well, most) - Californication, Under The Bridge, Give It Away, Zephyr Song ect. Then they play some stuff that they haven't played live in a while - Around The World, Don't Forget Me, Parallel Universe - stuff like that. Then there's John's balls-being-yanked rendition of 'I Feel Love' where he shows off his amazing vocal range. And two other covers. Then two cracking new songs-Leverage Of Space and Rolling Sly Stone and if Rolling Sly Stone is not on the next album, Ill cry! It's absolutely amazing with the coolest bassline ever! // 10

Overall Impression: If you managed to catch the Chilis live this summer, you should buy this album now. If you didn't, you should buy this album now. If you're a hardcore Chilis fan, you should buy this album. If you're not sure about them, you should buy this album. If you don't like them, you should buy this album. Best songs for me: Rolling Sly Stone, Under The Bridge, Fortune Faded, Can't Stop, Brandy (cover) and did I say Rolling Sly Stone! (just empahasising it's brilliance). Then there's the mini jams between Flea and John between songs and Chad's cool drum medley. This band is the best in the world and if you buy this, you'll understand why people love them so much! // 10

Live In Hyde Park Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 02, 2004

Sound: It's a live album. How great do you expect the sound to be? Theres all manor of fizzing crackling feedback, and noise from the croud, but again, its a live album? You expect this sort of thing. It's so bad its good. Does that make sense? Also the band play hardly anything before the Californication. Give It Away and Under The Bridge are the only songs taken from Blood Sugar (and they only play them because there'd be a riot if they didn't). Almost everything is taken from Californication, or By The Way. I'm not complaining, but it'd be nice to hear Suck my Kiss, Higher Ground or Sir Psycho Sexy. Ok, maybe not Sir Psycho Sexy. // 6

Lyrics: Don't get me wrong, I love the chili peppers. I was at Hyde Park on the Sunday. But I think Anthony does slack a bit on this album. He's always criticised for shouting instead of singing, but on this album, its taken to the extreme. Theres also a point in Purple Stain where he obviously forgets the words. But who cares? Their the Chili Peppers. They could go up and play a Busted song and still get cheered. John is the best thing on this album by far. Vocally he outshines Anthony on every song, and his "nuts-in-a-vice" rendition of I Feel Love is breath taking. Even Flea sings. // 6

Overall Impression: Despit all of its faults, Live in Hyde Park is so good it hurts. If you were there its like the ultimate reminder of the afternoon (even if you did have to listen to Chicks on Speed) and if you weren't there, well its the ultimate reminder that you should get a ticket next time. Best song - Brandy, I Feel Love, Can't Stop and Rolling Sly Stone (a song so mind bogglingly wow it'd be a crime not to release it as a single.) Get it you like - Any Chili Peppers album. Skip it if you like - Limp Bizkit, Busted, bands who feel the need to scream every other second. // 10

Live In Hyde Park Reviewed by: dwnbowden, on september 06, 2004

Sound: First of all Anthony Kiedis is not very good on this album in that he slacks and shouts, especially in the Zephyr Song which kind of ruined that song. The best thing about this album is easily John Frusciante, the solos he does on every song (especially Scar Tissue and Can't Stop) are incredible, they are invariably better than the album versions. The bit that is so good that for me its tearful is when the Frusciantes are jamming and it just turns into the intro of can't stop and I'm listening to that right now and its painful. // 10

Lyrics: Anthony Kiedis' lyrics are genius, however he performs them in the album. I can't understand most of them but thats what makes them so great like in californication its just mindless babbling to music but the effect is so great it is one of their best songs (which is saying a lot for the Chili Peppers). // 10

Overall Impression: If I lost this album I would go down to the CD store straight away to buy it. The best thing has got to be the rendition of can't stop because it is so much better than the album version. But the rendition of the Zephyr Song is really quite terrible, it makes me glad I have By The Way to listen to the good version. I'll say it again that John's solos are excellent I might tab them if I can work them out. He even sings like I Feel Love which is so random its funny, just like the great song Throw Away Your Televeision. To sum up Live at Hyde Park is one of my favourite albums that I've ever bought and you don't even need to have been there (I wasn't) it just gives you a burning desire to get tickets for next time. // 10

Live In Hyde Park Reviewed by: The Veteran, on march 15, 2005

Sound: Anthony Kiedis isn't (live) a really good singer but it is still a good live-performance. If you are a RHCP fan you have to buy it, if you aren't than I would buy Californication or Blood Sugar Sex Magik. The other part (I mean exept the vocals) of Hyde Park is very good and yeah I do like the intro! (I'm sorry for the bad english; I'm from Holland). // 8

Lyrics: You can say what you want, but the lyrics of the RHCP are one of the best! So there wasn't of course anything changed about that at Hyde Park. // 10

Overall Impression: Anthony Kiedis is, how sad as it is, not a really good singer, and you can hear that at Hyde Park, but after all the music is superb as you would expect from Flea, John and Chad. So, not the best live concert of them (that was slane castle) but still a must-have for the fans. // 8

Live In Hyde Park Reviewed by: regrhcp, on may 06, 2005

Sound: The sound of the CD as a whole is excellent. With Flea's funky bass rhythm, John's angelic guitar riffs, Chad's constant beating on the drums way too hard, and Anthony's god-like voice, the CD is a natural phenomenon. John's way of adding intros, outros, and changing solos is one of a kind. The two new songs, "Rolling Sly Stone" and "Leverage Of Space" remind me of my favorite time of the Red Hots, the '90s. Those two songs prove to be a new beginning for them. // 10

Lyrics: Anthony's voice is as good as it has always been. He sings songs that may not make any sense to you, but there is a meaning to them. His lyrics are funky, sorrowful, and always a delight. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is my favorite. My favorite song off it is By The Way just because of the outro to it. This album is probably their best one so far. I would kill someone for this CD (kidding). Ever sinc I first saw the Red Hots live. I have always wanted to keep on hearing them live. It's like a drug to me. // 10

Live In Hyde Park Reviewed by: Cerz, on april 11, 2007

Sound: The live sound is great, well recorded and written. It is a litle distorted, that aside it is unfaultable. Great selection of songs, mostly a mix of the album 'Californication' and the album 'By The Way' I especially like the songs that have not been on the albums such as 'I Feel Love'. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics have improved over time and as this is a selection of their best recent songs, the lyrics are good although a little repetive. The lyrics do fit the music on the album, however, on the live version (this one) they seem sometimes slightly out of time. The singer is very good, although, his voice can go slightly out of tune sometimes without the technical equipment of a studio. // 7

Overall Impression: It compares very well to other artists, the best live ablum I have heard in a long time. But compared to the non-live versions on some songs it is noticeably worse, although they are improving all the time and I think there will be better albums. can't stop and Easily are probably the best songs from the album as the quality is rich and defined with clever solos. I love the fact there is a whole song devoted to an intro leading into Can't Stop. ALso, I love the fact that there are litte jokes between songs. I hate the fact I Feel Love is a sort of fill in song, or it seems that way, it's a good song there is just not enough of it. // 9

Live In Hyde Park Reviewed by: Footzyrama, on september 22, 2007

Sound: I'm a big fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and this live CD cemented my faith in the band. The instrumental skills of Flea, Chad, and John are absolutely brilliant in this album. The only thing that lets this CD down a bit is the vocal skills. Anthony Kiedis is a good vocalist however during a live set you can tell he gets tired out and his voice begins to get a bit strained. Despite this it is still a huge joy to listen to! // 9

Lyrics: The Lyrical skills of Anthony Kiedis have often been part of discussions, Whether you love them or hate them you have to admit that they are very individual and will leave some kind of impression on you. It is often said that they don't make any sense however a lot of them will be rooted deeply in anthony kiedis's own life experiences! Being a live CD the singer's voice is not the same as it would be on a studio recording. However I still think it sounds very good. The only problem is with there very energetic performances on stage Anthony Kiedis will often get tired out. This puts a strain on his voice and this can be heard on the CD. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is one of my favourites! As a live performance it is truly wonderful. My favourite songs are "Brandy," "Rolling Sly Stone" and "Black Cross" also the classics like "Under The Bridge" and "Californication" feature on this album. If this album was stolen I would most certainly purchase a new one! // 10

Comments