Mother's Milk review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jan 1, 1989
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Mother's Milk

Funk/Punk sound on most of the songs except Knock Me Down, Punk Rock Classic & Pretty Little Ditty. Bass Is amazing (as always) and to say that John Frusciante is only 18 on this album, is truely incredible. Great riffs and solos with the crazy basslines to follow it. The riffs are particularly good from John Frusciante, as he doesn't stick to using just one type of chord. i.e he will mix power chords with major and minor, and odd chords that are short but sweet. I can't really compare this to any other music/ band i have listened to, so if you want to listen to something different and innovative then try this album.

I think Antohony's voice is amzing and unique. Although I love the lyrics, i have given them a four to be unbiased. To give it 5 would be too biased. The lyrics overall are what i would describe as crazy, but Anthony does let out his emotional feelings on 'Knock Me Down', where he is writing about his drug experiences, and the death of their guitarist previous to John Frusciante, Hillel Slovak. His lyrics are good, but lack sense in them at times, many people who aren't fans of the Peppers may not understand what he i trying to get at in some songs, but music wise they make up for this, and on later albums such as 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' and 'Californication' he proves that he can write amazing songs.

This album really does stick out from the other albums that they have recorded. The only album that comes close to the sound of this is 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik', and this is why I love RHCP, they have an amazing ability to record different genres and make their musci sound good. My favourite song from the album is 'Knock Me Down' or 'Higher Ground'. The thing I like most about this album is the music in it, the guitaring in it is really underated, and so is the bass. Jimi Hendrix is world famous for his guitar riffs, and although John plays a different genre to him, hardly anyone would recognise Mothers Milk as a truely great music album. I would defintely replace it if it were broken or lost and i would recommend buyin this album to anyone, and in particular people who want to hear something different from any other music they've heard.