Mother's Milk review by Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Released: Jan 1, 1989
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Mother's Milk

I already had 5 of their albums before I got this album, and they rule. I actually bought this for my girlfriend as a 'get well' present, but I sneakily copied it onto my computer. I dam hope she don't read this. When I listened to this album the main two things I noticed were that the sound is fantastic (John and Flea are gods of their instruments) and excellent to listen to; but also that it may take me time to get used to the style of some of the songs. This of course wasn't a let down. It's all funk-rock, which is a bit dated now but because I actually like RHCP a lot anyway it doesn't matter. The guitar solos are nuts, and as a guitarist I will be trying to learn some of them.

I've always noticed RHCP have a weird style of lyrics, they're totally random! I'm not one for citisizing bands lyrics, their lyrics are lyrics, and they're excellent. Anthony's voice changes a lot, sometimes it sounds funky, rocky or sexual I dunno I'm not a singer. I prefer RHCP stuff like Californication, By The Way and Live In Hyde Park albums (and 'I Could Have Lied') and I like the way John harmonizes with Anthony's singing. This album, being older and funkier, isn't the same, but I can't deny it is still excellent.

I prefer other music by RHCP but they are still one of my favourite bands. This album probably seems a lot different to other music I listen to (their newer stuff, Lost Prophets, Funeral For A Friend, Taking Back Sunday, Puddle Of Mudd etc) but who cares. I can't choose a standout song (though the instrumentals are cool to listen to as a guitarist. I love the guitar solos in this album most, it's my main attraction, but you can't expect different from a guitarist. A great guitar album, and very cool to listen to I think I shall listen to it now.